Elite: Dangerous

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549
edited December 2014 in Off Topic

Please do not derail this thread. Thanks.

Anybody playing? General impressions so far?

I'm still playing Eve Online at the moment, but considering switching. I had a look over the web site, and was left with the impression that it's generally still single player, but with lots of people all playing at the same time. I didn't see anything about guilds / gangs or whatever - is there a way to team up and do things like get into fights and share loot?

Is it possible to do things like mining and salvage? Manufacturing goods for sale?

How is performance in general? Does the client run okay, and is the networked aspect fine?

How big is the download?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Waiting for the Mac version but not sure it will run on my current macbook air.  Lost hours and hours to the speccy version in the 80's. Sort of hoping for a port to the xbox one.

• Waiting for the Mac version but not sure it will run on my current macbook air.  Lost hours and hours to the speccy version in the 80's. Sort of hoping for a port to the xbox one.
    Looking at how it runs on my machine (Core i7 2.66GHz, 16GB RAM and an NVidia GTS 650) at 1920x1200, I'd say you'll probably struggle to get it running smoothly at a decent resolution. It runs great with that, but when I had a GTS 460 card it was really struggling; the GPU in the Air (and in most Apple gear, actually) isn't exactly top-notch. You'd most likely have to sacrifice a fair bit of detail and resolution.
    <space for hire>
    Looking at how it runs on my machine (Core i7 2.66GHz, 16GB RAM and an NVidia GTS 650) at 1920x1200, I'd say you'll probably struggle to get it running smoothly at a decent resolution. It runs great with that, but when I had a GTS 460 card it was really struggling; the GPU in the Air (and in most Apple gear, actually) isn't exactly top-notch. You'd most likely have to sacrifice a fair bit of detail and resolution.
    Oh well, its about due an upgrade.  Might go with a Pro next time.  

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4613
    edited December 2014
    The GTS 650 should be fine. The rest is top notch spec

I'll be playing it with a GT640 which meets the minimum spec.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Can someone explain what the game is? I could wait to google it tonight...but i kinda want to know now.

Is it like an alternate reality type game in real time etc???
  • It's a space shooter game, with added trading/mining/exploration capabilities. Massively online in a galaxy with 400 billion star systems.
    A reboot of the 80s, Elite game which was ground breaking in its day
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    so is it an action game or a role player type game?
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4613
    edited December 2014
    Action game. You fly the ship around and blast people of of the sky, whilst other people are trying to blast you out of the sky to steal your cargo/get bounty/points, etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I loved it (back on the BBC micro). I then played it on the Atari St, but after that I sort of lost interested in gaming. Still Eltie holds such good memories for me.

@samzadgan in the original you were the pilot of space ship, you then fly around different planets trading minerals etc (after a really tricky docking sequence involving a revolving rectangle door). You can then upgrade your ship with the money you make......or you just fly around blasting everything you see and be a rogue pirate type (when you destroy a ship you can pick up it's cargo).

Fantastic (for the time) 3D wireframe graphics....it was flipping awesome.

ok...so more action...i was thinking it was something like a sim city/dungeon and dragons style game.

seem like it would be fun.

does it work on mac? or is a pc thing only? (i have a macbook pro)

• Coming out on the Mac in three months
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited December 2014

Waiting for the Mac version but not sure it will run on my current macbook air.  Lost hours and hours to the speccy version in the 80's. Sort of hoping for a port to the xbox one.

I'm looking at getting a new desktop, almost exclusively for gaming. For my budget I think I can get one of a good (i7 4790) CPU or a good gfx card (GTX 970) but not both.

As the resident tech head which would you go for? Or should I be more focussed on lots (16gb) of ram or silly SSD disks?

• Most games are GPU bound. I decent i5 with a good GFX card will perform very well, It's when you get to the top end cards or dual card type setups that you need to think about the CPU again so you can supply the GPUs with enough info.

SSD disk for boot is a must, 8GB is a good compromise that you can always upgrade later (get two 4GB Dimms)
  • I'm looking at getting a new desktop, almost exclusively for gaming. For my budget I think I can get one of a good (i7 4790) CPU or a good gfx card (GTX 970) but not both.

As the resident tech head which would you go for? Or should I be more focussed on lots (16gb) of ram or silly SSD disks?

Is it gaming or general system performance you're after? I don't know what CPU you've currently got, but GPU would probably be the best bet for gaming performance.

Personally, I always say stay away from the latest generation of anything; that's where you find the worst bang-for-the-buck. Step a generation back and get a GTX770 instead - you'll save yourself over £100 and only lose a negligible amount of performance (the gap between successive generations of GPUs isn't what it once was).

You can then put that £100 towards a new CPU, although it's reasonably likely that if you've got an i7 of any kind you'll be pretty safe; mine's an ancient i7 920 from the first generation of i7s, and it runs Elite: Dangerous at 1920x1200 fine without any overclocking (which I must get round to at some point...).

As for RAM and SSDs...you'll always get a boost from SSDs, but it'll never affect your frame rate. Unless, of course, you're struggling for RAM; 8GB these days is easily enough for gaming.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I played it at the Loading Bar in Dalston, on an Occulus Rift. It was pretty swish.
  • I'm looking at getting a new desktop, almost exclusively for gaming. For my budget I think I can get one of a good (i7 4790) CPU or a good gfx card (GTX 970) but not both.

Is it gaming or general system performance you're after? I don't know what CPU you've currently got, but GPU would probably be the best bet for gaming performance.

Personally, I always say stay away from the latest generation of anything; that's where you find the worst bang-for-the-buck. Step a generation back and get a GTX770 instead - you'll save yourself over £100 and only lose a negligible amount of performance (the gap between successive generations of GPUs isn't what it once was).

You can then put that £100 towards a new CPU, although it's reasonably likely that if you've got an i7 of any kind you'll be pretty safe; mine's an ancient i7 920 from the first generation of i7s, and it runs Elite: Dangerous at 1920x1200 fine without any overclocking (which I must get round to at some point...).

As for RAM and SSDs...you'll always get a boost from SSDs, but it'll never affect your frame rate. Unless, of course, you're struggling for RAM; 8GB these days is easily enough for gaming.

It'll be a new machine and the other CPU option is an i5 (prob 4690k). I figured that the GTX 970 counted as a step back from the cutting edge since the 980 is out and costs a fortune. The alternative graphics card would be a GTX760 probably.

I can see the difference in benchmark scores (11200 versus 7700 for CPU and 8700 versus 5000 for graphics card) but I don't really know which is likely to have the greatest impact on gaming. I suppose it's a not a simple question because there isn't really a "gaming experience" metric. Framerate/loading times/latency/prettiness all play a part.

F*ck it. I'll probably get some xmas cash from someone and spend £1200 on getting both. 

• It'll be a new machine and the other CPU option is an i5 (prob 4690k). I figured that the GTX 970 counted as a step back from the cutting edge since the 980 is out and costs a fortune. The alternative graphics card would be a GTX760 probably.

I can see the difference in benchmark scores (11200 versus 7700 for CPU and 8700 versus 5000 for graphics card) but I don't really know which is likely to have the greatest impact on gaming. I suppose it's a not a simple question because there isn't really a "gaming experience" metric. Framerate/loading times/latency/prettiness all play a part.

F*ck it. I'll probably get some xmas cash from someone and spend £1200 on getting both. 

The appropriate question here is...what's the native resolution of the screen you'll be using?

So...overall budget for the CPU and GPU is about £450? For a nice overall system, I'd say get the i5 (£150-ish) and a GTX760 (£150-ish) and spend the money you've saved on a decent SSD. Hell, you can get the Corsair MX100 512GB SSD for about £160 these days. Job jobbed.

That CPU/GPU combination should be perfectly capable of gaming in 1080p. Perhaps not at max detail with all the smoothing/motion blur/etc options on, but still...this is kind of about what I'd do in your situation, and I'd sacrifice a bit of detail for a more balanced system.
    <space for hire>
  • It'll be a new machine and the other CPU option is an i5 (prob 4690k). I figured that the GTX 970 counted as a step back from the cutting edge since the 980 is out and costs a fortune. The alternative graphics card would be a GTX760 probably.

The appropriate question here is...what's the native resolution of the screen you'll be using?

So...overall budget for the CPU and GPU is about £450? For a nice overall system, I'd say get the i5 (£150-ish) and a GTX760 (£150-ish) and spend the money you've saved on a decent SSD. Hell, you can get the Corsair MX100 512GB SSD for about £160 these days. Job jobbed.

That CPU/GPU combination should be perfectly capable of gaming in 1080p. Perhaps not at max detail with all the smoothing/motion blur/etc options on, but still...this is kind of about what I'd do in your situation, and I'd sacrifice a bit of detail for a more balanced system.

Embarrassingly I can't remember my native resolution. I think it's 1680 x 1024 and I don't intend to get a new monitor. I guess your point is that if I don't have to crank out the pretties at 1920 x 1200 or beyond I can afford to skimp a bit on the gfx card. Which makes sense.

I'm looking at a pre-build - these days the saving seems minimal and at least I won't have to work out which supplier to contact if things go wrong.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26463
    edited December 2014

Embarrassingly I can't remember my native resolution. I think it's 1680 x 1024 and I don't intend to get a new monitor. I guess your point is that if I don't have to crank out the pretties at 1920 x 1200 or beyond I can afford to skimp a bit on the gfx card. Which makes sense.

I'm looking at a pre-build - these days the saving seems minimal and at least I won't have to work out which supplier to contact if things go wrong.

If it's 1680 wide, it'll be 1680x1050. If it's 1600 wide, it'll be 1600x900 (the more modern, crapper 16:9 ratio, but about 16% easier on your graphics card).

There is one great advantage of a pre-build - the whole thing's under warranty for any failure of an individual component. If you build it yourself and (for example) the PSU blows but takes your motherboard and graphics card with it, only the PSU's covered under warranty and you're left with a big bill for resurrecting your machine. Not so much an issue if you don't skimp on your PSU, but cheap ones (< £30) can be a bit of a risk; I've noticed a definite uptick in the number of failures in the last few years (admittedly on a very small sample size).
    <space for hire>
  • Oh, and apologies to the OP...it seems we've derailed this one too ;)
    <space for hire>