Elite: Dangerous

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23964
    Anyone tried this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461
    @fretmeister - no, because it's a game and it's supposed to be fun not work.

The thing is...there's a progression implied in the game. You can always spot the people who've done that, because they can't fly worth a damn and are usually the ones all over the Frontier forums whining about how unfair the game is when their Conda gets destroyed; it's a common thing with Robigo Anacondas. where people have made ludicrous money stacking smuggling missions in Robigo to make 40mil at a time, but actually have little clue what they're doing.

I know I gave you a helping hand, but that's just for the beginning so you've got a fighting chance when 2.1 drops. You still need some actual skill to get from where you are to having a decent loadout and the ability to use it effectively.
    <space for hire>
    I was just curious really. I watched the vid and lots of it seemed a chore.

The thing I love about the game is the lack of hard rules, and even the ability to completely ignore the usual game aims.

In the original I wanted to visit all 8 galaxies and get back to where I started, just because. I got to Elite on the way more by accident than design. 

I quite fancy doing some exploring and just seeing what is out there.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    does the game still have Thargoids ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    I was just curious really. I watched the vid and lots of it seemed a chore.

The thing I love about the game is the lack of hard rules, and even the ability to completely ignore the usual game aims.

In the original I wanted to visit all 8 galaxies and get back to where I started, just because. I got to Elite on the way more by accident than design. 

I quite fancy doing some exploring and just seeing what is out there.
    Yeah...I'm actually still not at Elite yet (combat), because aiming for it seems to be defeating the point. It's trivial to get there just popping NPCs (although that's about to get a lot harder), whereas my aims are more around roleplaying. I did the grind up to the point where I had enough money to buy a great ship and outfit it with anything I wanted as well as having enough money for a few hundred rebuys (just in case, like), and now I just top off the cash with a Community Goal every now and then. To give you an idea, in the last combat CG I joined in on I picked up just over 4 million in bounties and got a 15 million bonus from the CG itself; that's another 35-ish rebuys right there.

As for the "seeing what's out there", when you've got yourself some good cash you might want to head out to find the Formidine Rift (from the novel Elite: Reclamation). There's apparently something of interest to be discovered out there, and it's been there since the first release...nobody's found it yet, though.
    <space for hire>
    Paul_C said:
    does the game still have Thargoids ?
    Somebody asked when they're coming on last night's beta feedback live stream. David Braben's answer was...

"Winter is coming"

...so they will be making a return. Lots of interesting things have been said about them, though, to the effect of:

"There are worse things in the galaxy than Thargoids."
    "Mankind barely won the great Thargoid war. The Thargoids are wondering where their scouting party went."

There's a lot of buzz around the Unknown Artefacts - there's a big story arc there, and we're only really at the beginning of it; they could be of Thargoid origin, but there have been hints that they're "very, very old" and perhaps have their origins in human technology. Loads more info on the Frontier forums.
    <space for hire>
    It's going to be the BSG '13th tribe of humans were cylons' type thing isn't it!
    It's going to be the BSG '13th tribe of humans were cylons' type thing isn't it!
    Possibly. I personally think that Thargoids are going to be seriously badass, but we're also going to need their help.

Then again, read this:

It's entirely possibly that the "worse things" could be humans. After all, committing genocide to finish a war that we started...not cool. Not cool at all.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    I went to a military simulator show this week, and the vast majority of the demonstrations were using the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog.

I am therefore now semi-seriously considering spending £20 on a game and £280 on a joystick to play it with.

FML.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    I went to a military simulator show this week, and the vast majority of the demonstrations were using the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog.

I am therefore now semi-seriously considering spending £20 on a game and £280 on a joystick to play it with.

FML.
    The stick doesn't have a twist for yaw.

I know it's accurate to the actual plane, but not everyone wants pedals for rudder control. It should have been added to the spec.
    But it's got a bazillion buttons and two throttles, one of which could do yaw.

And it weighs as much as my house.
    Saitek X56 Rhino is out soon. And it's a bit blue!
    But almost the same money.

And it doesn't look like you could beat a burglar (or bear) to death with it.
    I'm thinking of the x52 Pro. I have the Thrustmaster Hotas-X but I could use more buttons.

And the price isn't as silly.
    Jeez...how many buttons do you need?

I don't have any issues with running out of controls. My only issue with the HOTAS-X is the control curve, and there's software to deal with that.

I use keyboard for subsystem targeting, landing gear, cargo hatch and the FSD but that's it.
    <space for hire>
    Jeez...how many buttons do you need?
    All of them and more.

I was wondering about using my SpaceMouse as well, but that'd need a lot of hands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Trying to upgrade my thrusters and it says I would exceed max mass. Mmm.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    I thought that happened if you try to buy thrusters that are underpowered for the ship (ship's mass exceeds what the thrusters can handle). What are your current thrusters, and what are you trying to buy?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Trying to upgrade my thrusters and it says I would exceed max mass. Mmm.
    Then the new thrusters aren't an upgrade - don't forget, if your current thrusters are (say) 4E, then the number is the size and the letter is how good they are. Therefore, only 4D, 4C, 4B and 4A are upgrades.
    <space for hire>
    I have 4E and was looking at 4C. Every choice was red"d out.