Comments

• I want to play this but I think my computer is too slow :(

From digging out the order from a few years back:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 2.8GHz, 9MB Cache - Included

Memory: 4GB Crucial PC10600 1333MHz DDR3 - Included
    PCI-E Graphics: nVidia GTS 250 512MB - req. PSU w. PCI-E
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, and apologies to the OP...it seems we've derailed this one too ;)
    Busted :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited December 2014
    I want to play this but I think my computer is too slow :(

I reckon you'll be fine, except for the graphics card - get yourself up to a minimum of GT640, and you should be okay.
    <space for hire>
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I'm playing it on an old Core 2 quad Q6600 with a crappy Radeon HD 4600 graphics card and 4 Gigs of RAM -32 bit only - it runs ok at low detail settings but it does occasionally glitch out - not good when you're trying to dock! One of my plans is to upgrade the PC after Mythmass, maybe get some good sale deals? Anyway it looks great even on my obsolete system, so I can't wait to try it at higher resolution and detail settings. I think a lot of the high end GPUs are aimed at those wishing to run high resolutions on multiple monitors - I'll be satisfied with 1080 on a single monitor.

I (mis)spent a lot of time playing on the Atari back in the day and the game play seems very similar from what I remember! You can play solo against non player characters or in groups or in the open, I believe that the open version has a maximum of 32 players per instance. There are facilities for playing in groups etc but I haven't tried them so can't really comment. You can mine, trade, explore, be a pirate or a bounty hunter or do missions - so far (I've been playing since Beta) it's still keeping me entertained. The missions you are offered depend on your reputation with various in game factions and supposedly the outcomes affect how those factions perform over time. There is quite a steep learning curve to piloting your ship, but I suspect this is the same with all flight sims. I'm just using my keyboard - I like the idea of typing my way through the universe!
  • I want to play this but I think my computer is too slow :(

I reckon you'll be fine, except for the graphics card - get yourself up to a minimum of GT640, and you should be okay.

So the follow up question...since I use this PC for recording is...what is fanless, cheap and good enough? :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I've got a fanless GT640 which is pretty much thefastest fanless Nvidia card available. NiNot sure what is out there in the AMD/ATI range
  • @digitalscream What would the Nvidia equivalent to this be? 

Been ages since I bought a graphics card, still running a bloody Radeon HD 4670 in the big PC :D

• @digitalscream What would the Nvidia equivalent to this be? 

Been ages since I bought a graphics card, still running a bloody Radeon HD 4670 in the big PC :D
    There isn't one, really - the R7 250 is slightly faster than the GT640 (the fastest NV card without a fan, as far as I can tell - Axe_meister is right), but noticeably slower than the GTS650.
    <space for hire>
  • ^^
    Thanks for that. I want to stick with AMD simply because Nvidia drivers do seem (at least on KVR and Gearslutz) to have a few more mentions with regard to negatively affecting audio systems. 

'course, I could just build another PC just for Elite and Project Cars when it's out. Hmmmmm. 

• strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3279
    edited December 2014

• Bloody hell this game is hard. Can't even get past the second battle tutorial where I'm up against two fighters. Saying that for some reason secondary weapons (missiles) don't want to fire.
  • Yeah, combat's pretty hard. I'm just bouncing around the galaxy at the moment, mostly picking up salvage contracts to kit out my ship (I started in an Eagle....might kill this one and grab a Cobra, to be honest - more cargo space).
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited December 2014
    @Axe_meister - for what it's worth, I restarted the game (Options -> Clear Save) with a Cobra about 4 hours ago and I've managed to build up a respectable 100k credits even with a few mission false-starts.

My advice - learn to use the galaxy and system maps to your advantage when trading. It's vastly more important than combat, unless you're desperate to get into the combat side of things right away. Even if you get interdicted while in supercruise or hyperspace, you can usually manage to fly your way out of it. If not, and you get attacked, just don't bother with weapons and enable supercruise as soon as you're forced out of it; you'll take a few hits even flying evasively, but your frame shift drive will engage before your shields drop.

Money first. Then a ton of weapons. Then get into combat.

EDIT: Oddly, I accidentally ended up in the same system my previous save was in when I ended it - and my old ship (an Eagle) was there waiting for me. I think I can probably sell it if I want...at which point, it could be a bit of a hole in the game and a really easy way to make a lot of credits very quickly. Just restart the game 10 times (say), leave each of them at a different station within the same system (or easy reach), then start an 11th game and go round selling all the ships. I reckon you could put about 3 million credits on in a couple of hours that way.
    <space for hire>
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Is there a safe version?
    My V key is broken
  • Bloody hell hours just disappear.
    Got the hang of combat was not targeting enemies. Took a while to learn how to dock as well. Just trying to super cruise without overshooting. Alas have to have two days off visiting relatives. Once I've the hang of it all I'll setup a fretboard group.
  • holnrew;457297" said:
    Is there a safe version?
    Safe version?
  • Bloody hell hours just disappear.
    Got the hang of combat was not targeting enemies. Took a while to learn how to dock as well. Just trying to super cruise without overshooting. Alas have to have two days off visiting relatives. Once I've the hang of it all I'll setup a fretboard group.
    For supercruise, keep your speed (in C or Mm/s) at or slightly below 10% of the distance to the destination (in Ls or Mm). It's not the quickest way to get there, but it guarantees that you have enough time to exit supercruise when the Safe Disengage notification comes up. You must be doing less than 1000m/s and be less than 1000km from the destination for that.
    <space for hire>
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Bloody hell hours just disappear.

Keep me posted!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Just on the minimum requirements....

I wasn't going to buy it because my laptop is below them - Core2Duo processor at 2.something Ghz, 4 Mb Ram, an Nvidia GT240 gfx card but I risked the £40 and it runs really well.

I have gfx set a medium (which still look fantastic by the way) and its very smooth apart from during supercruise where it gets a lower frame rate but thats not an issue. During combat and docking etc its great.

So, if you're able to "gamble" the cost of the game I'd take a chance.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Now downloading. Where is everybody else located? And can I start with a Cobra?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...