Active/ Powered Monitor - Alto TS110A enough?

BeexterBeexter Frets: 600

I'm looking at picking up an active monitor to make it easier to hear myself at gigs, either for feeding in a signal from a miced-up amp or for taking a direct feed from a modeler.

Is anyone using an Alto TS110A successfully for a monitor? Just wondering if it's got enough beans... I'm attracted by the relatively small form factor, light weight and price. If I need to go to a 12" speaker, the other options I'm considering are the Alto TS112A or the EV ZLX12P as I'm aiming to keep the price under £250.

Any opinions/ real world experience welcomed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What's it competing with? Most notably what variety of drummer :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    edited January 2015
    What's it competing with? Most notably what variety of drummer :D

A Neanderthal! He wouldn't even know the meaning of subtle if he looked it up in a dictionary. Come to think of it, he should look up the definitions of timing and rhythm as well!  We play a variety of covers across a number of genres and classic rock is about as heavy as we get...

Until it crapped out on me, I was using a Wharfedale Titan 12A which was just about OK. It was an older generation of active cab with a 300w power rating. Can't seem to find any SPL specs for it though and it's now discontinued. Looking for a decent, loud and reliable replacement and if I can get away with a 10" version, so much the better.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3140
    edited January 2015
    Heard and use the alto a couple of weeks ago, gets a bit nasty when pushed but then thats probably what you want, Just a thought but if your looking to use it as a wedge as opposed to FOH then have a look at something wedge shaped http://www.maxking.co.uk/studiomaster-pax12-active-12-powered-150w-rms-monitor-speaker.html for instance because it will easior to place  on stage and more directional

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • we use a pair of alto 112s as our main front of house speakers, vocals only, pub gigs, easily loud enough with hard hitting drummer. never used them as monitors but don't see why those or the smaller 110 wouldn't work. they are all wedged shaped if you lay them horizontally so can be angled as required.
  • I always prefer 10's for vocals and guitars. I'm using a pair of Carlsbro Alpha 10's - only £250 for the pair (one active and one passive) and they sound great to me.