Motivation

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
edited January 2015 in Technique

Or rather lack-of.

Since NYE I've literally had played 3 times, no "proper" practise either, just a couple of half-hour noodlings.

Since the old place got shut, and we moved (workwise) into a smaller (individual franchise buildings) at work, I've played/practised less (at least it seems) gradually over the last two years.

Fuck.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Ive just brought my Jm4 Looper in to work as i dont get time to practice at night.
    Its only a hobby for me so im ok about it. I will try and play/learn for about 1 hour or so a day and maybe i will get to play at some weekends.
    I never lose motivation i am constantly trying not to sound shit. I will never give up and neither should you, especially if you sound as bad as everyone here says you do.
    :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    JAYJO said:
    I never lose motivation i am constantly trying not to sound shit. I will never give up and neither should you, especially if you sound as bad as everyone here says you do.

Cheers.

I suspect changing employment (main priority ATM) will help, as will getting back to a regular routine, and not being all over the shop with work hours.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    mike_l said:
    JAYJO said:

Cheers.

I suspect changing employment (main priority ATM) will help, as will getting back to a regular routine, and not being all over the shop with work hours.

If my work routine were to change then i would have no time for anything guitar related. Homelife is run by the family at the moment so im lucky to have space at work.
    Hope you get yourself sorted and in a routine asap good luck.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I go through long periods of not feeling like playing - so I don't. I've never been into the 'technique' end of playing, so I can get 'match fit' pretty quickly.

That said, whilst my sense of phrasing, timing and overall musicality has probably improved over the last 20 years, my ability to play quickly hasn't developed an iota....
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    sometimes I find playing the same thing or the same style can be wearing. I like to mix things up a bit, maybe use a different book or something. I always try to make sure I do my 10 minute exercises, then whatever takes my fancy. That said, playing "live" once a week gives me something to aim at.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Thanks Vim, that does help, I'm a bit directionless currently.

Just need to motivate myself into an hour a day, which is the biggest problem currently.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

I go through phases, sometimes I like structure, so I'll dig out the RGT (or similar) books, sometimes I just want to mess around with stupid chord progressions and strumming patterns, sometimes I'll learn a fiddle tune from the folk orchestra or a book. It probably means I won't progress as fast or as far as someone with more focus, but it seems to work for me. I never really look at playing as a chore and mostly look forward to it (bit tricky at the moment with a knackered finger and now a gammy shoulder).

Likewise on the fiddle, some days I'll work on technique, scales and arps and more complex (for me) fiddle tunes, some days I'll work on harmony lines for the orchestra, some days I'll do some more classical style playing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Good idea, Vim - try playing a different style or song you always wanted to. 
    Maybe watch some live concerts of your idols to inspire you?
    I joined a band to keep things up. 
    But still there are times when I don't play and maybe you shouldn't play during those times if you're bored!

It's not really boredom, more that I don't know whether I'm coming or going, an don't have a regular weekly routine.

I'll explain, When we were in the old building, every day was a 5-30 finish, home around 6-15. so I knew 7-30 to 9 was "guitar time". In the last 2 years, back in the franchise buildings, work can finish anywhere from 4-30 to 6.

Finish at 4-30 means starting at 6-30am, so being up from around 4-30ish, hence I'm shattered by "guitar time". finishing at 6, means not being home, cleaned up and ready until around 8, but I'll still have been up since 6.

The lack of a regular day/week is what I need, I think.

• It does sound like a routine would help Mike. I know that I'd probably lose motivation if I didn't have one.

I find a break from playing can help though. I'd not played for a month or two (or played very little) because I'd got frustrated at my lack of improvement so it completely killed my motivation. But I looked at it as a way to have a fresh start and fix problems with my technique which I thought were holding me back. For some reason when I was playing daily, I couldn't bring myself to do that. Probably because I thought it would be a step back - going back to basics. 

But it helped, having that bit of beginner mindset again. Found I was able to look at my playing more objectively too. So if I ever lose motivation again I'll try and look at the break as something which can potentially improve my playing. 

Biyang & Caline pedals plus other inexpensive gear:

SpartanMusic.co.uk

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I'm terrible for not practicing....I go through phases of learning riffs that I hear or like or trying to copy a nice solo but generally I just piss about on the guitar and write stuff. I do go over the bands songs occasionally and obviously work at the new ones. Rehearse once a week and gig occasionally.

I dread the band splitting up-I'll just basically noodle for a few minutes/hours a day...

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• if I find myself watching some gash on the tele I usually grab a guitar and just drill finger runs, spider patterns, Satriani exercise/whatever. It helps with a lot of stuff and seems to make watching tele more productive. 

As for improving, like said above, its all about playing something new. Playing the same old stuff doesn't really advance you.
    Get on the Django Rheinhardt, that should give you a challenge 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

As of tomorrow, I'll be home before 6 (at least for the next 3 months).

That should give back the 7-30 - 9 "guitar time".

Been through my folder of stuff and out it in an order for practise.

And a couple of books to work through on top.

• 1hr 30 mins each night is a lot for an adult with a job / family etc. Good on you for finding the time!
    1hr 30 mins each night is a lot for an adult with a job / family etc. Good on you for finding the time!

I don't have kids, and am barely an adult (physically yes, mentally no where near), so probably should have made myself do more.

• i`m probably not as advanced as most of you guys on here, having only bought my first ever guitar about a year ago, so atm motivation isn`t really a problem. but i try and mix it up a bit when i can, i stick `kerrang` on (or any other sky music channel) and try and play along, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn`t!, or i think of a song/riff i want to learn whilst at work, and try to work it out in my head or on the air guitar (when i`m on my own), it actually makes me look forward to getting my paws on the real thing.
  • I try to get in at least two hours a day.  This doesn't always happen, as somedays life takes over.  One of the things I try to do is avoid distractions like gaming consoles, tv and the such.  I should ration my forum time more.  

I had let my playing really get poor, so this is a conscious decision to help get me where I feel I need to be.

So far this week, I've managed 3x 1/2 hours of scales to a metronome, and 3x 1hrs of revising songs I've learnt/part learnt.

Maybe another hour or two this evening.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    mike_l;508625" said:
    So far this week, I've managed 3x 1/2 hours of scales to a metronome, and 3x 1hrs of revising songs I've learnt/part learnt.

Maybe another hour or two this evening.
    Wowed as an encouragement to keep going. Are you up for the jam this Sunday?

@bigjon not sure about sunday, it's likely, but it'll be the Beaccy if I do.

Got another 1/2 hour of scales/metronome in this evening. and 1/2 hr of refreshing songs I've learnt/part learnt.