Your number one jazz song recommendation...?

What's Hot
I'm just beginning to teach myself some jazz guitar after 25+ years playing and only flirting with it.  The thing is, where do you start?  So how about a list of great jazz songs from a guitarist's perspective...If you could name only one jazz track that you love to play/listen to, what would it be?  (Doesn't have to have guitar on it!)

I suppose I'd better start: Charlie Parker, Billie's Bounce
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Anything by Duke Ellington - however Satin Doll is used by very many as a 251 learning tune so it can grate, and lot's of people don't like it because of that.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    The only one ive heard of is So What (I think Miles Davis)and its Dm all the way through so you could jam over that!
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    so what by miles davis
    Alfie by sonny rollins
    Blue Train by John Coltrane
    Sidewinder by Lee Morgan

All quite easy to learn or work out by ear
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited January 2015
    Can't really pick one out as a favourite, but I always like minor key tunes, so I'll say Yesterdays - it has enough harmonic movement to be interesting, but it tends to lead the ear in a natural way, and not too tricky.

Actually "I Should Care" is a nice one too...
    Also "What Is This Thing Called Love" is another that I like a lot, good at faster tempos.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Autumn Leaves.....

Also, I'm fond of Tune Up and Summertime.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    All Of Me - full of II V Is and they go a lot slower than Satin Doll
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    edited January 2015
    Not sure if this could adapted for guitar, but it's a cracking tune
  • Just about anything by Emily Remler. If you want an actual song, then Cry Me A River sung by Julie London (the original recording had Barney Kessel on guitar).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited January 2015
    So so so many. And this one isn't even jazz lollll. But it's one of the best, and certainly a characteristic, song from the awesome jazz metaller, Greg Howe. If you like it, there's a whole world waiting for you out there!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8679
    What style of playing are you thinking about?  For finger style then Summertime (Martin Taylor did a nice version in Em) or Moondance are easy starting points. For more traditional jazz then All Of Me is an easy strum which is easy to solo around.  After that the list becomes endless
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Just about anything by Emily Remler. If you want an actual song, then Cry Me A River sung by Julie London (the original recording had Barney Kessel on guitar).
    Oh hell yeah - How to Comp in one tune.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Roland said:
    What style of playing are you thinking about?  For finger style then Summertime (Martin Taylor did a nice version in Em) or Moondance are easy starting points. For more traditional jazz then All Of Me is an easy strum which is easy to solo around.  After that the list becomes endless
    I'm just curious as to what other people like and thought a 'pick your favourite' thread might be interesting.  I love Wes Montgomery - that version of Yesterdays @megii is so much better than the trio studio version I have - and am pretty much obsessed with Charlie Christian.  Some great tracks so far - but alas, I'm sorry to say I really don't like Greg Howe @viz.  More to do with the production than the playing to be honest, but I can't really get round it.
  • Jalapeno said:
    Just about anything by Emily Remler. If you want an actual song, then Cry Me A River sung by Julie London (the original recording had Barney Kessel on guitar).
    Oh hell yeah - How to Comp in one tune.
    Yep, this is amazing - just listening to it for the first time...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    Roland said:
    I'm just curious as to what other people like and thought a 'pick your favourite' thread might be interesting.  I love Wes Montgomery - that version of Yesterdays @megii is so much better than the trio studio version I have - and am pretty much obsessed with Charlie Christian.  Some great tracks so far - but alas, I'm sorry to say I really don't like Greg Howe @viz.  More to do with the production than the playing to be honest, but I can't really get round it.

:) no worries. I love his playing! Each to his own though! :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • this is mine

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The Nearness of You by Hoagy Carmichael. Like Autumn Leaves, it works very well on solo jazz guitar because the chord progression and rhythmic structure are not 'busy' and the melody is strong so it doesn't need a great deal of support.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Cry Me A River is the definitive torch song but solo jazz guitar versions struggle because the lyrics and delivery are key to its impact, and without them the melody is not that strong and the lengthy sustained notes from Julie over Barney's arpeggiated walking notes are difficult to (satisfyingly) recreate on the guitar. I tried it while arranging it for a sax quartet - I've searched youtube but the best version I've found (on an old Martin acoustic if I remember) does Barney's part pretty good but the melody sounds weak compared to Julie's part.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2015
    A fun place to start is Miles Davis 'So what' which is pretty easy to play [I can tab it out for you if you like] and is great fun. I also think you need to listen to a wide range of jazz guitarists to work out what you like. For example, Joe Pass liked to play finger style chord-based melodies where as Grant Green never played chords and only played lead. Grant Green is one of my favourite jazz guitarists and is another good place to start.

The late, great Ronny Jordan ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!