Acoustic for an electric player

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
edited February 2015 in Acoustics
Morning folks,

I'm looking for a decent acoustic guitar. I'd like to get something with the playability of an electric and the following spec:
Parlour or smaller bodied
14 fret join
Mahogany/Sapele
No electronics required

I'm looking to do some reserch before going and trying some out. The only Parlour guitar I've found that fits my criteria is Auden guitars but as they are a small UK company I can't try out without droping 1500 quid on one!

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you are looking for good quality and I assume a modern slim neck. The action you can take care of later.

Then there's the Martin 00018 or 00028 and Gibson J45 (although its bigger than you may want) all of these have a shorter scale which allow for less tension and easier bends.
    I also think the J45 has a sort of jazzy sound to it. Atkin make a J45 copy also. The Martin 000 have smaller and slimmer bodies so less bulky than your traditional dreadnought. There's the 00 series which is smaller and parlour like not sure of the scale though.
    Taylor do a Grand Concert which is very small and has a short scale but I'm not a massive fan.

If you've 2k then try a Mcilroy mini jumbo with walnut back and sides not sure they fit your brief but they are excellent guitars.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    What's your budget?

Do you mean Auden?

I would imagine Taylor do something up your street but they seem to be a bit marmite as they can sound pretty bright.

Moon may be worth trying if you can find one.

Faith maybe worth checking out.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Ideally 600-700. There seem to be some decent Martins available at that price.

Yes, I did mean Auden

Can't seem to find many Taylors available second hand

Will check out moon

Faith look nice but seem to favour gloss and electrics on the models I've looked at. 
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    @Ionian I tried a Faith Saturn and Venus earlier this week. They both blew me away both sound and to play (i'm trying to make the transition from electric to acoustic too).

I would have walked out with the Saturn if it had been a 14th fret join, there's something about that size of guitar that really feels right for me.

I'm now on the holy grail search for something as close to the Saturn as possible with 14th Fret join. So far the Sigma stuff seems as close as I can find at a reasonable price.

Or the Taylor GS Mini.
  • I'd recommend a 60's Epiphone Caballero, they seem to fly under the radar as most people think of Epiphone as Gibson's budget brand but that wasn't the case pre 1970. The Epis of that era are USA made and the caballero is the same as a Gibson LG-0. They have quite slim necks/nuts, are small bodied solid mahogany, 14th fret join and sound great. £400-£600 depending on luck! Here's one:
    http://www.glennsguitars.com/guitars/gibson/page211/page211.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Taylor GS Mini would seem the obvious choice.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    I had the same request a few months ago, in the end i bought a Faith Saturn Eclipse from Kris on here. its a dreadnought with a cutaway, but crucially the neck plays just like a les paul. best acoustic i have played (bar my father in laws 1960's guild)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    This might go against the grain, but if you're using it on stage thru amps/pa, look no further than the cruelly under rated Yamaha APX series.

The 1000's are discotinued and very good value at the moment; the 1200 are awesome and built magnificently.

The preamp and EQ in them is sensational.

I know people look down on Yam's but these are superlative guitars as all round perfromance things.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-apx-1000-natural/45135?gclid=CjwKEAiAyMCnBRDa0Pyex-qswB0SJADKNMKAsVmBBBAG-tp_g9QcKu7_rCBYhKFatLYTb-FDRF4NExoCv1jw_wcB

And I am sure @markGAK or his new man would assist you ;)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    Gassage said:
    This might go against the grain, but if you're using it on stage thru amps/pa, look no further than the cruelly under rated Yamaha APX series.

The 1000's are discotinued and very good value at the moment; the 1200 are awesome and built magnificently.

I know people look down on Yam's but these are superlative guitars as all round perfromance things.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-apx-1000-natural/45135?gclid=CjwKEAiAyMCnBRDa0Pyex-qswB0SJADKNMKAsVmBBBAG-tp_g9QcKu7_rCBYhKFatLYTb-FDRF4NExoCv1jw_wcB

I'm going to pass this one over to @yoseph as I won't be at GAK after today. He can certainly help.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    MarkGAK said:
    Gassage said:

I'm going to pass this one over to @yoseph as I won't be at GAK after today. He can certainly help.

De-mob happy already!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• YosephYoseph Frets: 66
    Sure thing.

I'm a bit in love with Faith at the moment, everything they do is amazing at the moment....

Things like...

But, of course it's a 12 fret join. Martin do the 000RS1, which is completely amazing! Ticks all your boxes (but has a pick-up) Mexican build, solid, awesome!...

Little bit over budget, but Taylor do the 322 which is everything anyone could ever want!

All great options!
  • Taylor GS Mini, easy.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    What do people thick of the Yamaha LS models?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited February 2015
    I was gassing big style for a Yam Cpx1200 in sunburst but have just acquired a Martin JC16RGTE. NGD to follow soon! :)
  • Martin 00-15/000-15 are great and would be available in your budget used, should be easy to try one out in the major guitar shops. Neck is fairly slim so not too much of a leap from electric.

Guild also do the M20 (?) (the Nick Drake one) and F40 in mahogany, not sure if they're current production models. There's also the M-120 from the cheaper GAD line which are pretty good.

Those Epi Cabarello's look nice too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Gassage said:

I think you're an impostor, I can't believe the real Gassage would say such a thing :).

Yamaha APX... thin plastic-y acoustic tone, horrible electrics that don't sound much better, and often break (Yamaha have now run out of replacements for the older models and there is no equivalent).

Just avoid.

Taylors with Expression System electrics also need to be avoided for reliability reasons. The older ones with Fishmans are OK.

But basically, don't buy anything with electrics if you don't want electrics, even though that drastically reduces the choice in cutaway models. You will *always* get a better guitar for the same money if you go for a plain acoustic, and in almost all cases you will get a better amplified sound if you then fit it with a simple pickup and external preamp - not to mention avoiding the reliability and upgradability issues of onboard systems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    To be fair Mr Ionian did state that he didn't want electronics - so I think this APX stuff is a bit of cul de sac, although I agree 100% with ICBM - get a good acoustic first, then think about micing it - using transducers etc later. Let's face it most piezos are bobbins and heavy duty onboard electronics ruin the balance of a good acoustic.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    ICBM;542051" said:
    Gassage said:

I think you're an impostor, I can't believe the real Gassage would say such a thing :).

Yamaha APX... thin plastic-y acoustic tone, horrible electrics that don't sound much better, and often break (Yamaha have now run out of replacements for the older models and there is no equivalent).

Just avoid.

Taylors with Expression System electrics also need to be avoided for reliability reasons. The older ones with Fishmans are OK.

But basically, don't buy anything with electrics if you don't want electrics, even though that drastically reduces the choice in cutaway models. You will *always* get a better guitar for the same money if you go for a plain acoustic, and in almost all cases you will get a better amplified sound if you then fit it with a simple pickup and external preamp - not to mention avoiding the reliability and upgradability issues of onboard systems.
    @ICBM Definately some wisdom here but, from my experience, takamines Japanese EA series had one of the nicest unplugged tones I have heard and the amplified tones was fantastic, granted it was not a cut away but I gigged one for ten years and it was stellar!

:-)
  • jamiejamie Frets: 3
    I play mostly electrics but just bought a Washburn WD10S Heritage (arrives Monday) because I wanted to do more acoustic work. Washburns tend to have necks similar to electrics (Strats and Teles anyway) so I felt it would make the transition easier. I picked the dreadnought for its projection even though I plan on installing a pickup in it (JJB Electronics). Have you thought about getting an acoustic with dimensions closer to your main electric? Parlor guitars are fun but they just don't seem to me to have the "punch" I would want at a gig. Obviously you understand your needs better than I do but I would look at a thinline acoustic rather than a parlor size. Or, you could do what a friend of mine did. He bought a Crafter FX550 bowl back in the same shade of blue as his Strat, yanked the piezo, installed a JJB 330 system using the Crafter pre-amp and ended up with very sweet sounding acoustic for gigs and session work. The whole shebang cost just under £200 and if he ever puts it down I am going to steal it :o)
    Just my 2 cents worth, but I may be talking out of my hat. Whatever you do get just enjoy playing the hell out of it! :o)
  • I have a Taylor GC7 small bodied pure acoustic guitar. Granted its indian rosewood with a cedar top. I mainly use the 814ce but there is something about the GC7 that makes me pick it up. I'm not sure if they make it anymore but you can something pick one up. It has a very warm sound and with it being a smaller body to the 814 it has a slightly compressed sound which I quite like. I use it for fingerstyle playing. Failing that, you can't really go wrong with a 000 Martin.