335 Boogie

What's Hot
Well, a bit late to the party, but after a couple of false starts my Cherry 335-a-like arrived and I'm impressed. Certainly akin to an Epi Dot with a nicer neck.

Pickups are a wee bit bland, but frets are straight, action low, 'board dry and tuners firm, so as good as it gets really.

No fotos yet, as no camera, but it is one of these:

The plan:

1. Pickups and wiring - thinking P90 plus PAF
2. Finish - Dithering a bit but Ill probably go with a comic covering
3. I was going for a faux Bigsby, but as that nice Impmann was selling the real deal for £Cheap, it is going to have the real deal instead
4. Might replace the tuners, but they seem OK so far so no panic
5. Might go for a roller bridge..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    welcome to the challenge - look forward to this as I have a Dot Studio that has been modified  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I'd shove a Wilko roller bridge to go with the Bigglesby waggle bar. One of these, in fact:

I had one on my CP Jazzmaster and it was ace.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited February 2015
    Cheers Tim will do :)

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited February 2015
    Comic book page finish was something I'd considered for a guitar so I hope you go in to that in great detail.
    underdog said:
    Comic book page finish was something I'd considered for a guitar so I hope you go in to that in great detail.
    Will do, but it's pretty easy. I did this one (gulp) 4 years ago..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    JookyChap;538571" said:
    underdog said:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9tqMJ_wUmiE/TAKyhxhYl7I/AAAAAAAAAXo/6KNzpqvPZGQ/s1600/010.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9tqMJ_wUmiE/TAKy6xBsbyI/AAAAAAAAAYA/Pkk1HfDPXN8/s1600/011.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9tqMJ_wUmiE/TAKyqJDdYVI/AAAAAAAAAXw/pW5k3NY9PQs/s1600/006.jpg
    Awesome, I have some Spiderman wrapping paper I'd like to use for my sons half size electric :D
    edited February 2015
    underdog said:
    Awesome, I have some Spiderman wrapping paper I'd like to use for my sons half size electric :D
    Sounds cool - definitely worth a go. There are a few ways to do it, Mod Podge is the easiest - basically like thinner PVA, but acts as a glue to stick the paper to the body, and then as a grain filler, so you paint it over the top a few times and then sand out the brush marks. Lacquer to taste ;)

Having a better look the only 'interesting' part of the 335 is the rather moodily chopped pickguard. That'll probably go anyway, but it's a bit of a strange shape - fotos to follow :)

• martmart Frets: 5205
    JookyChap said:

Cool! But did anyone ever break it to you that when they talk about Clapton's Beano Les Paul, that's not quite what they meant?
    :) Yeah, but I used NOS copies of the right edition of the Beano, so it was OK....think I got away with it anyway

Right, so started getting things together at least.

I've been in two minds whether to use cheaper parts to upgrade it or whether to go for a higher spec even if it doesn't really make sense.

In the end I'm thinking that life is too short to do it on the cheap, so it will be a more gradual upgrade (as I'm potless) but with Mojo pickups and loom, decent tuners and roller bridge. 

1. Bigsby coming from Impmann. What a guy.

2. Changed my mind on the pickups, still going to have a PAF style at the bridge, but it'll either be a Mojo Goldfoil or Kay Speedbump at the neck. Also going for a Mojo loom as they are simple perfection and the chance of my soldering much at the mo are slim to zilch

3. Tuners, are not great - they slip a bit with a good strum, so I'm thinking they may be an issue once it is Bigsbyified, so I'll probably go for Hipshots as they be pretty.

4. Roller bridge - not sure what is out there so will have a look. I used a really nice Gotoh one a while back so that could be a runner.

As for today:

a. Removed the interestingly cut scratchplate. Might go for a transparent one of a more traditional shape

b. Played with the truss rod and lowered the action a bit as it was a tad high at the 12th and beyond.

c. Oiled 'board, polished frets as other than that they were nicely finished

d. Dropped the guitar, headstock first into a wall, but no damage at all. Well, bit of a dent in the plaster. 
    That's how you know if it is a real Gibson or not.

e. Put a set of 11s on, and it feels a lot better to play now. Might go flatwounds once the Bigsby is nailed on.

f. Replaced the nut as I had a bone one going begging

As it stand then, it is a really nice playing guitar. I'd definitely rate it alongside an Epi Dot, although with a nice headstock and better feeling neck..

All good