HB EX-76 explorer

What's Hot
Photos to be added later.

But received it today, and have to say it's ridiculous how it plays. This is an £85 guitar that has an absolutely fantastic neck on it, chunky without being huge, it's just the right side of a good handful.

Finish on the body is perfect, pickguard edge is ugly to me like it needs to be tapered instead of square cut, one tooling mark on side of neck, pickups sound dark (this through pocket pod amp I will try tomorrow) came set up with 10s and almost in tune.

So plans are replace pickups with the ones from my LPJ (so it gives an excuse to upgrade the LPJ), replace pots and loom, probably remove headstock decal.

After that it really doesn't need anything else passed a fret polish and some oil for the bored.

I may refinish for the sake of it but I think black is the right colour for the guitar as it is.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited February 2015
    Spent a few hours playing on this last night, it's brilliant. Lowered the bridge (which was much easier as can be done with a screw driver rather than using wheels on a Gibson) and plays fantastic.

When I make the pickup change I'm going to have to reverse wires on switch and volume pots so its the same as an LP, but other than that it's fantastic. A note on the toggle, it feels like a nice chunky one like on my gibson les Paul's not a cheaply like on my Epi SG.

Photos tonight I swear.
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Sounding good so far :-)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • This thread needs pics! What's the weight like BTW?
    edited March 2015
    Ok here's some pics, just phone quality though. I will check the weight after, taking a wild guess I'd say it can't be much over 6lbs

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All I can think of 'James Hetfield'. Excellent!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Any indication that Thomann are going to stock these again?
    JudasVigilante;545117" said:
    All I can think of 'James Hetfield'. Excellent!
    Yeah me too, not a huge Metallica fan but I do like his playing.

@Chalky drop them a mail they answered me within the hour when I asked, they seems to come and go off the site regularly, so no doubt they will be back.
  • Dagga36Dagga36 Frets: 11
    These are currently back in stock
    Mines still currently in the box :D played it a few times and restrung but had so much Shit going on that it's not been modded at all.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    How are people finding the explorers? Anyone know what the quality of the wood is like under the paint - eg if you look under one of the pickups?
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    £85?  Cool.