Ibanez Blazer refin

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
edited July 2015 in Making & Modding
I picked up an '82 Ibanez Blazer last week for a steal.
It all seems good, the electrics worked after a good clean and it plays and sounds ace but it's been painted by a previous owner in a godawful dark blue paint, complete with bubbles and grit!

So the plan is to strip off the blue and see how good the Ash is underneath. If it's a nice enough piece I'm going to go for a natural finish like the original - possibly an oiled one - or something like the Wudtone Amber.

I'm going to reinforce the scratchplate behind the jack socket as they are prone to breaking there. The 5-way toggle switch needs a tip and the brass trem needs an arm and at least one more spring on the back.

The neck feels great - it's a 25.5" scale length C shape with a 7.25" radius. One piece rock maple with satin finish. There are a couple of nicks in it but nothing that causes a problem. Bloody good for being 33 years old.

The brass bridge/trem block are naturally aged and I'm going to leave it that way!
I've never owned a Strat and I'm a hardtail guy so I don't know how heavy these things should be. This one reads 430g. I've seen brass trem upgrades that cost £300+!!!

So apart from removing the horrific blue, this shouldn't be too difficult a project to restore this guitar to nearly it's original state. I just need some better weather to get outside and get sanding!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited March 2015
    I'm looking forward to seeing this restored to its former glory.

You're not wrong about the scratchplate mounted jack socket being a weakness - make sure you always loop the cable through the strap for extra security. The 'plate on yours is in good condition compared to mine.....

The jack socket on mine has reinforcing washers front and back (that big one on the front is from a Dunlop straplock) as well as washers on the final two scratchplate screws. Underneath the black tape holding it all together my scratchplate is cracked and splintered and is in about four or five pieces.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    Aye, that's more like it, @steamabacus. That plate of yours has been through a few rounds though! I'm going to either glue some Trivex or polycarbonate to the underside or add washers like you did.

I doubt I'll swap out the flat black pickups on mine as I'm mightily impressed with them as they are. I might have to replace the 5-way though as I'm not convinced that it's going to stay clean.
    The original pickups aren't bad at all. I've still got them and have two of them fitted in another guitar. I have Seymour Duncan Alnico II  Pros in mine now. They do have more 'depth' and detail but it's certainly not a night and day difference. The originals (I don't know what model name/number they are?) are much better than some of the modern Ibanez pickups. I remember swapping them out for some Squier pickups years ago but I put the originals back in as they were so much better.

I had to replace the five way switch in mine a few years ago. That does mean that the original lasted over twenty years, though, and it had seen some heavy use even before I bought it (in fact, most of the wear and tear on the guitar was from its previous owner - it was pretty beaten up when I got it).
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    A blazer was my second electric, exactly as the one at the top, though it started with a Mahogany "antique violin" stain.

Despite quite a hard life, I never managed to break a single part of it, though I did loose the switch tip.

Did various rewiring tricks to it, always sounded good whatever I did though.

I eventually rubbed the body back and oiled it; felt, looked and smelt wonderful. Capped it off with a sheet brass scratchplate.

Eventually I wore the frets down low enough to need a refret, so it had to go as it was theoretically worth way less than the work.

Sad to see it go, so nice to see one alive here.

• I never owned a blazer but loved the shape of the headstock in particular when it came out. 
    edited July 2015
    Day off today and a clear day outside (albeit it hoorna windy) so got the Workmate and sander out.

Before:

After:

I'm just not sure what I think. I can't decide if the grain is nice enough to warrant a natural finish, I'd prefer if the top half was more like the bottom half.
    Some of that blue paint was deep! Blue grain filler, effectively. I think I've got enough out without going too far but it may need more. The edges will need sanded by hand and I don't know how deep the blue will be on the end grain or if I'll even get enough off without the aid of power tools. Today's front and back effort took over 20 minutes with an orbital sander.

Answers on a postcard, please!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    It's a shame that plank in the middle is such a plainer piece than the others. My similarly Matsumoku-made Aria is the same, all different grained pieces.

If it was me, I would sand back the sides as smooth as possible but not worry too much if you can't get all the blue out of the grain, then refinish in blue Wudtone. I think that would look good without being prohibitively difficult. You could probably 'burst' it slightly - I think they did original come in something like that, although I may be thinking of a different model.

At least if you have to change the switch, I'm pretty sure Ibanez used a full-size 5-way, instead of the short-frame 3-way my Aria came with… luckily I did manage to find a very rare short-frame 5-way for it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

At least if you have to change the switch, I'm pretty sure Ibanez used a full-size 5-way, instead of the short-frame 3-way my Aria came with… luckily I did manage to find a very rare short-frame 5-way for it.
    Yes, I changed the switch in mine - standard 5-way.
    Yeah @ICBM the centre piece doesn't fit in with the other two, and the top one is to 'blobby' grain-wise. Look at it on the back- much nicer!

I think I might have to go for a solid colour unfortunately but as I had hoped for the natural refin I haven't got a plan B colour in mind.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Shame, that... Would have been a great look..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

I would probably just leave it slightly visible rather than solid-colour it… it's part of the character of these old Matsumoku guitars.

I think a dark-ish translucent blue would cover it well enough to make the difference in the grain less obvious - or possibly any other that would cover the blue as well, eg a dark green or trans black.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2015
    Not sure about the blue to be honest. The flat black plate and pups limit the choices somewhat but as they are original I want to keep them.
    I've managed to sand the top edge and sat everything together for a mock up. It doesn't look too bad like this for some reason!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Nice bridge
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:
    Nice bridge
    Bit o brass. Definitely keeping that!
    DiscoStu said:
    Not sure about the blue to be honest. The flat black plate and pups limit the choices somewhat but as they are original I want to keep them.
    I've managed to sand the top edge and sat everything together for a mock up. It doesn't look too bad like this for some reason!

That'll look great with a bit of amber tint to match the neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good work. If you've got it clean there's no reason not to do exactly that, and natural finish it, either with oil or a thin satin lacquer. I only really suggested the blue so it would cover anything you couldn't get out.

It was one of the original finishes too, so it looks 'right'. I don't think I would darken it any more than the natural colour of the sealer.

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Reminds me of my first ever guitar - a second hand one of these I got for my 12th birthday

That's a monstrous trem/nut on that one, @DannyP I'm still after the Wudtone amber look so reckon I'll try that first if I can get this totally cleaned up. If it looks shit with that middle plank then I can always do it in a solid colour later, or put a sticker over it...!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    id be tempted to go with a transparent white on that...you get some of the grain coming through and it will sit nicely with the black plate and maple neck...

or a transparent emerald green would also be cool
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    DiscoStu said:
    That's a monstrous trem/nut on that one, @DannyP I'm still after the Wudtone amber look so reckon I'll try that first if I can get this totally cleaned up. If it looks shit with that middle plank then I can always do it in a solid colour later, or put a sticker over it...!
    Yeah, it was a sort of proto floyd or floyd rip-off. Floyd rip-off I spose. Pain in the bum to change strings. It was only really good for dive bombing. If you tried to raise the pitch it would manage just under a semi-tone followed by a large KLONK as the back of the bridge hit the body.

It was good enough for Marty McFly, though...

I don't think the middle plank is a problem, embrace it!

A solid colour would look ace too though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom