Alternate tunings

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
In an attempt to use a couple of guitars that largely just sit there, I've decided to play around with different tunings. One will just be going to drop D or C depending on how flappy the strings feel, but I'm thinking that the other one should suit open D quite well.

I've had a look at Google for open D resources, but the main ones I've seen have either been paid sites or a bit rubbish. Can anyone point me in the direction of some decent open D websites etc? I've never used that tuning before in my life.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    electric?
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Sorry, should have said. It's an electric on flatwound 12's. I'll probably try out a bit of slide too.

• Youtube lessons are probably the way forward for this, i've had a few books but I found watching worked better for me.

Check out Black Crowes/Rich Robinson. It's mainly open G, but there are a handful of Open D songs too. 'She Talks to Angels' is one. That said, open D and open G are quite close together.

Open D - D/A/D/F#/A/D

Open G - D/G/D/G/B/D

I've never played slide with flats though, so I can't be any help there!

Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've never played open G either, so I had no idea that they were so close to each other. I'll deffo check out youtube too.

I'll need to raise the action a bit for slide anyway as it's sat very low, and also get a slide of some description, so that'll probably wait for a bit.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Open E, D and G are all easy places to start. Then there's DADGAD and crazier stuff that you'll get sucked into later :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Open E, D and G are all easy places to start. Then there's DADGAD and crazier stuff that you'll get sucked into later :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Wow, it's a lot of fun! It's odd though, and I feel like a beginner again in some ways. I think that this is what I'll be doing for a while now, I want to get to grips with it properly.

• Fazer4Fazer4 Frets: 0
    What kind of tunes are you looking to play? I do some celtic-style stuff in various open tunings, DADGAD and a low C tuning being my favourites. A few pieces I've learned are in other tuning variations, but only having the one acoustic, it's a nightmare running through them all! Not conversant with scales etc though, I just play stuff I've learned as set pieces for the moment. Time, never enough time!
    I have DADGAD on a strat

try learning the Rainsong with the proper tuning
    Studio Tuning: D G C G C D
    Live Tuning:   E A D A D E (One step higher)
    http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/the_rain_song_tab.htm
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited March 2015

The common open tunings are fun for a while, but I find them limiting since it's much more difficult to play in a variety of keys than it is in standard. Maybe it's just my inexperience.

One I really liked and didn't feel had that limitation was Robert Fripp's "New Standard Tuning"- CGDAEG. You'll need to buy custom gauge strings- .008 or .009 for the top G (a m3rd above standard, so prone to breakage- apparently Fripp's original NST had a high B- good luck with that) and heavier strings for the low end. Loads of possibility with that one though- big chunky down-tuned power chords on the low strings, odd intervals within easy reach to freshen up your soloing (and blues cliches are still just about achievable if you really need them). Well worth a go if you're dabbling in the world of alternate tunings.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155

I played all the Minnaars stuff on either DADDAE or DADGAE. Worth a fiddle.

if you really want to have a change:

I have a baritone 29", tuned in 5ths:

GDAEBF#

I might raise it 2 semitones
  • I recently had a play around with a C tuning I found out about when I was trying to play a couple of Gov't Mule songs (Like Flies and Brighter Days, since you ask).

Tuning is (low to high):

C G C G C C - So the top two strings are both tuned to the exact same note, giving you a 12 string type effect.

I found when I played in that tuning I was getting some lovely folky/ celtic stuff coming out, even though that's not really what the two songs I initially tuned to it for sound like.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    If you use DADGAD then check out Pierre Bensusan.

Or Rob Mackillop does some open G and D arrangements of Scottish Tunes.

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited March 2015
    As said by others open g and d are great tunings. Stones stuff in open g is great fun if you've never tried it. I'm very much a slide novice but claptons Waking Blues and stones little red rooster are pretty easy ones to start with. There's some nice Arlen Roth slide tab around you can search for as well.