'Super guitars' - am I missing out?

What's Hot
pickergpickerg Frets: 30
edited March 2015 in Guitar

I've played guitar for quite a few years now, and have a love of vintage type guitars, for the looks and sound.  I've never really tried any of the more premium brands and wondering if I'm missing out.  Not really referring to cost, as my main guitar was reasonably expensive but it is a replica of a 60 odd year old design, with its benefits and flaws.

Am I missing out by not trying PRS, Musicman or Suhr etc. or more premium offerings like Collings, Nik Huber or our very own Feline Guitars?  is it possible to get more vintage-type sounds, Tele, LPJ or Gretsch etc. (I realise that they are not going to sound exactly like the vintage guitars, but close enough for people listening will do) but from a guitar that intonates perfectly and 'plays like buttah'?  Anyone made the switch?  What do you think? Lots of the more modern guitars seem to be designed with shredders in mind.  Obviously my curiosity will extend to trying a few of these guitars out but just wondered what people's experiences were.

Cheers.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I think it's always worth trying guitars -  the worst that can happen is you discover a particular model isn't for you.     It might be that the feel and sound suits you better than the guitars you have been playing.

imo, It's not about the cost of a guitar - it's about whether it fits you.
    I'd been playing about 20 years and owned most types of guitar before I finally got around to trying PRS and although I've still bought other brands since, I know they really suit me - the neck profile and scale length is perfect for me.  (I usually seem to change the pickups but that could apply to any guitar).

Apart from the possible dent to you wallet I say go for it and try everything - cheap and expensive and see what you enjoy playing.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited March 2015
    I think you can get into an endless cycle of churning guitars in constant quest for something better - which is costly and ultimately gets in the way of ever really enjoying playing, if you're not careful.

That said, trying out high-end stuff to see what's out there is fine - as long as you buy on merit, rather than hype.

For what it's worth, I think some expensive guitars more than justify their price -while some don't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I think its always worth trying stuff. A lot of it is taste. But Ive seen no end of " guitar hero rig rundowns" on Youtube where we find a players old Les Paul actually has a host of modern bits such as a compensated nut, jumbo frets, tone pro's bridge etc etc. So why not...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited March 2015
    pickerg said:

Am I missing out by not trying PRS, Musicman or Suhr etc. or more premium offerings like Collings, Nik Huber or our very own Feline Guitars?  is it possible to get more vintage-type sounds, Tele, LPJ or Gretsch etc. (I realise that they are not going to sound exactly like the vintage guitars, but close enough for people listening will do) but from a guitar that intonates perfectly and 'plays like buttah'? 

Yes and yes. It's a slippery path though £££ OTOH maybe you're one of those that likes torturous things like a small radius and small fretwire and noisy pickups. Some folk get off on those fetishes I guess.

I wouldn't include EBMM in the same league as that lot myself. Nice enough guitars but whatever.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Just try lots of stuff. 

You can play pretty much any music on anything. I tried a Jaden Rose the other day and loved it even though I don't play anything rock or shreddy.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The brands you list make 'improved' guitars that avoid some of the drawbacks of the older Fenders and Gibsons. But in my experience of owning and living with them, they can sometimes seem a little bland. At those times, picking up one of my old Fenders or Gibsons makes me go 'Yeah, thats why these two companies dominate the guitar market. For all their flaws they can both often produce excellence.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    No.

I'm selling my last PRS exactly because it's too modern and precise to make the sounds I want now - and that's even given that I changed the pickups to something a bit more open- sounding and fitted it with heavier strings. It will never sound like a Gretsch, a Rickenbacker or even a Gibson really. It's a great guitar and it did what I wanted for many years, when that was a more modern sound.

But it won't ever sound like Neil Young's Les Paul or Bruce Springsteen's Tele. (Or any other old guitars I like the sound of.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Chalky;545411" said:
    The brands you list make 'improved' guitars that avoid some of the drawbacks of the older Fenders and Gibsons. But in my experience of owning and living with them, they can sometimes seem a little bland. At those times, picking up one of my old Fenders or Gibsons makes me go 'Yeah, thats why these two companies dominate the guitar market. For all their flaws they can both often produce excellence.
    I both agree and disagree with this. :)

I'm not a fan of 'improved' Fenders, such as Suhrs, et al.

I want my Strats to be rattly, prone to hum and not too easy to play. The 'perfected' versions simply rob the design of its personality for me....

When it comes to Les Pauls, I find them heavy, unwieldy - yet strangely 'small', to have awful 'dusty-end' access and controls in all the wrong places. My PRS McCarty gives me all I want from a Les Paul - without any of the down-sides.

I recognise this is very much a matter of personal taste - but hopefully it illustrates that 'traditional' and 'modern' each have their merits....
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I also didn't try a PRS out until recently after twenty years of playing, for me it was exactly what i wanted.

If you are happy with what you've got then carry on :) I get curious though, I've never tried a Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Suhr or a Fano. All of which interest me on some level.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ChuChu Frets: 14

If I pick up a guitar that is quite different to what I'm used to, I generally take some time to like it. I'm a big fan of familiarity. I'm playing a PRS at the moment but it was a gradual transition to this point, each guitar before it was a step towards this point. 

I can completely understand why someone would go into a store and feel underwhelmed when playing a £2000+ guitar. The differences become increasingly more subtle as you go up the price scale, most of it will take time for you to appreciate. The same goes when going down the price scale, I bought a £550 PRS SE last year and initially found it very comparable to my USA PRS, within 6 months I practically despised it.

Certainly give one a go but I'm guessing it might not appeal.

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited March 2015
     There are certainly things you are missing out on.  Guaranteed.

Come round any time and allow me to demonstrate. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I've never liked Suhr guitars, until i saw this one...this is basically exactly the next guitar i want for my 40th...so maybe i'll be a Suhr owner after all!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don't get it... it's a Fender Telecaster with the wrong headstock. What does it give you that a Fender doesn't? (Other than an ugly headstock.)

I can see the point in high-end near-copies when they have improved features, but I can't see the point in this at all.

Unless you're getting a big price reduction for the chip on the body, anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited March 2015
    Chalky;545411" said:
    I both agree and disagree with this. :)

I'm not a fan of 'improved' Fenders, such as Suhrs, et al.

I want my Strats to be rattly, prone to hum and not too easy to play. The 'perfected' versions simply rob the design of its personality for me....

When it comes to Les Pauls, I find them heavy, unwieldy - yet strangely 'small', to have awful 'dusty-end' access and controls in all the wrong places. My PRS McCarty gives me all I want from a Les Paul - without any of the down-sides.

I recognise this is very much a matter of personal taste - but hopefully it illustrates that 'traditional' and 'modern' each have their merits....

I REALLY have to try a McCarty as everybody seems to rave about them!
    (Just having googled them, they also seem rare and expensive in the UK?).

What are the major differences of these over the Cu24?
    Quick google shows... pickup switching is a major difference. Looks similar to a Les Paul in many ways (not surprising!). Are they all 22 fret?

Have you seen these Les Paul double cutaways? Look strange (not used to seeing double cuts on a Les Paul!) but way more practical than single cut!
    Quick google shows... pickup switching is a major difference. Looks similar to a Les Paul in many ways (not surprising!). Are they all 22 fret?
    Yes, all 22-fret. The body is also slightly thicker than a Custom, and they're only available with a stopbar tailpiece. (Other than the DGT which is a variant, and possibly a very few special editions.)

The pickups and switching are different, yes - lower-output pickups and a toggle switch and push-pulll tone control.

But not that similar to a Les Paul - if you want a PRS to do that, you need a Singlecut.

You are a fountain of knowledge!
    I'd love to try one just because I've seen so much love for them!

I was playing through a Bugera head and Blackstar cab at practice yesterday. Sounded great but VERY bassy... My TVP also sounds a bit bassy. I wonder if it just needs to come off the ground. Also!! I noticed when my wah is pressed down but I don't play any notes a high-pitched squeal is starting to come out of the amp. Must check that at home...! And must buy extra patch cables as I'm sure one is a bit dodgy. Lastly... I do think the 59/09s in the purple PRS are raspier than the 57/08s in the orange one. Again, something for me to check out.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    edited March 2015
    yes

unless you believe it's impossible that all those luthiers couldn't think of any changes worth having in 60 years
    & the modern ones are certainly not all for shredders

and btw, vintage guitars don't sound like vintage guitars, they would have sounded a little different when new
    ICBM;545781" said:
    But not that similar to a Les Paul - if you want a PRS to do that, you need a Singlecut.
    @thomasross20 - the best description I can give is that it is the most Les Paul-like double cutaway PRS.

I just cannot get on with LPs - the Single Cut is more ergonomic - but still feels very alien to me.

McCartys have much fatter necks than you are used to - so there's a fair chance you won't get on with them.

The link I posted in the 'Les Paul Alternatives' thread gives you an idea of the tone.

Definitely my favourite PRS guitar.