Moving house

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
Is literally horrible. So much shite has emerged from places I did t know existing in our house. And none of it is mine.

Send me good vibes ladies. The next couple of days will be unbearable.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    We've been thinking of putting ours on the market. Just shown Mrs S this thread, we've now decided against it! Just saved me a wedge of cash!

Good luck with the move though, don't break the Trad!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've got this coming up in the next 3 weeks :(
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7750
    I've lived here for the last 22 years, I'm not a fan of moving ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Drew_fx;545385" said:
    Then I'll give you the skinny. It's fucking hell mate. Start now. For God sake start packing now. I had a plan and a programme, and we are still in Shit Street without any money for a taxi.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    markslade07;545379" said:
    We've been thinking of putting ours on the market. Just shown Mrs S this thread, we've now decided against it! Just saved me a wedge of cash!

Do it while your little one is incapable of moving. My boy has been farmed out to every family member, friend etc. He tries to 'help'. Hindrance.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    Paul_C said:
    I've lived here for the last 22 years,
    But we've only been going for 18 months ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We sold ours about 5 weeks ago so still a few weeks to go but I'm starting get twitchy arsed about the packing and hassle!

It's our first big move (the current house we are in was our first house so didn't have much furniture) so has anyone got any tips?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7750
    TTony said:
    Paul_C said:
    I've lived here for the last 22 years,
    But we've only been going for 18 months ...
    squatters rights ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    We sold ours about 5 weeks ago so still a few weeks to go but I'm starting get twitchy arsed about the packing and hassle!

It's our first big move (the current house we are in was our first house so didn't have much furniture) so has anyone got any tips?
    Same situation as I was/am in mate.  My only advice is to get started as early as you can. We exchanged contracts and I made sure we had at least 3 weeks before completion to pack everything. 48hrs to go and I wish I had started 6 weeks ago. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    We sold ours about 5 weeks ago so still a few weeks to go but I'm starting get twitchy arsed about the packing and hassle!

If you have lots of books, cd's, etc., pack them in lots of small boxes - if you put loads of books in one big box you'll struggle to pick it up.  I learned this the hard way.  :|
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    RMJ said:
    markslade07;545379" said:

Do it while your little one is incapable of moving. My boy has been farmed out to every family member, friend etc. He tries to 'help'. Hindrance.
    Ah yes...good plan! Not thought of that! Had only thought how much 'help' the 2 cats would be!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I did mine in a day and a half, one day with a van (Sunday) to get the bulky stuff into storage (all done totally solo, except for bribing a neighbour with beer to get my sofa downstairs) and the next getting the remaining odds and sods out before handing the keys over. Like this:

Like a fucking BOSS.

Sorry, I'm still proud of myself ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hero!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm shedding myself of as many possessions as possible to make moving a piece piss if I ever need to.
    My V key is broken
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Sympathies. Moving house was arguably the most stressful time I can remember. Open your wallet/bank account, and just let everyone involved help themselves, or that's what it seemed like,

chillidoggy;545771" said:
    Sympathies. Moving house was arguably the most stressful time I can remember. Open your wallet/bank account, and just let everyone involved help themselves, or that's what it seemed like,
    You're not wrong there fella.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    We thought about moving after we got married last year. Then we worked out it was going to cost about £45k in assorted fees and taxes. Bugger that, we're staying put and spending the money on useful stuff. Like holidays. And Gas.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I moved 5 times within 12 months in 2011/12. Mostly it involved small / second homes, but it included one big move. We do have lots of books, files and folders. I was thoroughly fed up with moving after that, and not having to do it again over the past few years felt massively relaxing. 

Throw away what you can, and pack systematically, bearing in mind where stuff will have to go in the new place, and label all your boxes clearly. Think about how many boxes you may need, then double the figure, then double it again ;)

You have my sympathies!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Drew_fx said:
    Ditto. Our house will be ready on March 27th - aka D-Day. 

Our current house (flat) is full of boxes, shit we don't want and are trying to sell and shit no one will want to buy so we are going to give to charity. 

Spent most of last evening trying to remove one of our sofas from our first floor flat and delivering it to the bint (friend of a friend) who bought it. The whole process was horrendous - made worse by the fact I had unbearable man flu all day yesterday. 

I'll be glad when it's over! 
  • JRLJRL Frets: 16
    Do not move countries over the festive period. Absolute hell.
    And definitely start packing earlier than you think you need to, we made our ferry with about 5 minutes to spare!