Anyone wonna help me wire my board up?

ChéChé Frets: 304
Hey guys, wondering if you could help me sort my board out, I've broken it down into four main elements of the signal chaiin which, although seem simple enough, are quite hard to wire up in a way which works live. What d'you reckon?

1. Electric Guitar > LS-2 Input - LS-2 Send > Tuner > Wah > Amp Input
  2. Acoustic Guitar > LS-2 Return - LS-2 Output > Fishman Spectrum DI > DI Out to FOH
  3. Fishman Spectrum DI Insert Send (Y Cable) > HOF Reverb > Boss RC-2 In/out 1 > Fishman Spectrum DI Return
  4. Amp FX Loop Send > Virtuoso Phaser > Boss RE-20 (In place of Replica) > Boss RC-2 in/out 2 > Amp FX Loop Return

I've stuggled before with solderless cables (Bullet slugs) which put me off using them but I think I may need them for what I intend to do hence I beseach the wisdom of you fine gentlemen.

I'm thinking an In/Out pedalboard patch box might help me here as well and I'm open to shifting the arrangement. (Although this is the most comfortable layout I can get to my knowledge.

I had looked at a custom input/output version of a BoiceBox but I'm not sure if that would help (it'd sure be expensive!)

Cheers as always guys!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Dunno about bullet slugs but I used a set of planet waves and lava cable solderless to make patch cables. Planet waves were faultless but the size of the right angled jack is 'standard, size (I won't say large) which means you needs larger gaps between pedals. The cable is also thicker requiring greater radius bends. Looking at bullet slugs, this looks similar size wise.

Lava cable kits have much thinner cable and has smaller right angled jacks so the pedals can be closer and you can route cables into smaller gaps. But when you make the cable, you have to be really careful to seat the core into the socket. Sometimes when you push the cable into the connector, it can bend and not seat into the hole. This can cause a problem as it creates a poor connection. When you test the cable with a multi meter it gives a ready signal and fools you into thinking it has made the correct connection. Then when you use the cable, it causes a large signal drop off and you have to trace the fault. The easy way to check that the core is seated correctly is to try to pull the cable out (gently). If it comes out you will need to straighten the core wire and try again. If the cable remains in place, it's not that end and it's fine.

Imo lava cable is better ( can be had for £45 if you shop around) only because they are smaller.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    The problem you described where the centre pin doesn't make a proper connection is the problem I had with the bullet slugs.I'd insert the cable and screw it down but when it didn't work and I opened it back up I'd see an indent that was a millimetre off of the centre dot where it should have been. This happened with every connector and granted there shouldn't be that much room for error I sent them back. The replacements I received did the exact same thing regardless of the angle I pushed the cable in at. How some people manage to do it is beyond me. 

I'd probably like to find some-one who could wire it all up for me. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    What are you trying to achieve exactly - two separate signal paths with the acoustic going to the PA and the electric to the amp, or some sort of combination so you can use some or all of the effects on both?

The first option is easy, the second much less so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 2015
    First option. Both guitars go through the Boss LS-2 and at some point end up RC-2 but they're two seperate signal paths up until then, 
    The LS-2 is configured to allow me to turn on one guitar while turning off the other which I need to do live. (Saves using the volume knob on the electric when quick changes are needed.)
    That's going to be very complicated if you want to send the Fishman output via the DI to the PA with the RC-2 in its loop, and also have the RC-2 in the electric signal path.

In all honesty I would suggest that if the RC-2 is the only pedal you need for both, get a second one and keep the two paths separate. You will still be able to do quick changes with the tuners - the Fishman can be configured so the tuner mutes the signal - which is not the default option, although it should be! It's two buttons to press instead of one, but it will save a vast amount of signal-routing hassle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    For patch cables, and if you want to do the solderless thing, go with the Evidence Audio SIS plugs and Monorail cable. Seriously, if I can make them and they can work every time, anyone can. I had exactly the same problems with the Bullet Slug kit.
    edited March 2015
    @ICBM, The RC-2 has stereo ins and outs and as far as I'm aware would work fine. Is there any reason that makes it complicated or are you talking from a wiring perspective?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I use Bullet Slugs and I really like them - no problems in 3 years. But I wouldn't advise using them unless you already have a bunch as they've stopped making them, the buggers. If I was buying new kit now I'd probably go Lava.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Is there some-one I can send this to who can wire it all up for me? 

Can anyone make me a 6" insert cable with all right angled jacks?
  • I have used pretty much every patch cable out there soldered/solderless...I haven't found anything better that the Evidence SIS. Never had one fail yet and the sound quality is far better IMHO. If you do decide to go down the solderless route, I have some brand new SIS kits much cheaper than retail price. 
    Ché said:

@ICBM, The RC-2 has stereo ins and outs and as far as I'm aware would work fine.
    Are you sure about that? I can't find any reference to it. I might be wrong...

If it does have two truly independent signal paths then it would be possible to wire it up to work both in the loop of the Aura and in the amp's loop at the same time, yes. If not then it won't be.

You may still run into problems with ground loops or other issues with mixing both systems together. It really is better just to keep them separate if at all possible.

The loops created by the RC-2 are in stereo so I'd assume the two channels ar independent, I'll run some tests but if a loop is created by input 1 it will play only through output 1.
    Tbh I could sack the looper idea off as I only wanted it for songwriting purposes and its not imperative.
    Ah… it took me a while but I have noticed something which explains my confusion :).

Spot the difference :D.

I've never used the RC-3 like you have ;), only the 2.

In that case I can't see any reason - other than potential ground loop issues - why it won't work, if the two loops are separate.

edited March 2015
    Ah my bad! Forgot it was an RC3, had the "2" in my head thinking about the LS-2. Plus all my other Boss pedals are 2's.
    But yeah if anyone can make me an insert cable with all the jacks at right angles that would be mint :D