Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tendonitis - any sufferers?

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
Well, I just got back from the doctor's having been diagnosed... hideous pains in my left wrist/fingers since last Sunday and nothing touching it. I've been told total rest for 2 weeks minimum, probably closer to 4 and that includes no playing guitar AT ALL. I've been read the riot act by her that if I don't... then this becomes permanent damage.

Has anyone else ever been in this position... any advice etc gratefully received, as I'm feeling fairly crushed right now.
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    I can't offer any advice, but if not playing guitar for a few weeks means you'll eventually be able to again, then that's incentive enough. But I can empathise, all the best and I hope it clears up soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited March 2015
    I've hurt tendons in my feet from running and also in my hand so you have my sympathies! Rest is always good, heat is good for increasing blood flow and ice is good for reducing inflammation. Changes to diet can also speed up the healing process. Particularly anti inflammatory food like oily fish (either cooked fish or things like cod liver oil), and there are various benefits to different vegetables as well - particularly things like berries, leafy greens, that sort of thing. It's all fairly obvious but there is a lot of pseudo science with diet and supplements, but one thing that is absolutely guaranteed to help is avoiding alcohol - it slows down healing and makes you more likely to overstretch anyway since it numbs pain. Also eating regularly is good because when you're hungry your body slows down healing. Take it real slow. I didn't run for about 3 months after damaging my peroneal tendon but now it's fine. 

If you honestly can't keep away from the guitar, try playing some slide (even better if you play it as lap slide). It is usually a lot kinder to the tendons in your hand since you never stretch the span of your hand anywhere near as much and you don't squeeze the neck to fret notes. The change of pace and tuning might open up some new creative ideas as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    Man the fuck up and switch to playing lefty, problem solved, you can play guitar again today if you go out and buy a lefty.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited March 2015

Sorry to hear that. I've been there and it's a nightmare, still can't play nearly as much as I used to, but ho hum, what can you do!

Tips would be ibuprofen gel, which works wonders (as does voltarol but that stuff is pretty hardcore), both of these help to bring down inflammation topically. Rest, and when you get back on it, take it easy, if you get pain, just stop for a bit, don't play through the pain.

Crucially though, posture is what its all about. If standing, strap up a bit higher, raise the neck at a steeper angle, and try to minimise any sharp angles with your joints.

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    terada said:

Sorry to hear that. I've been there and it's a nightmare, still can't play nearly as much as I used to, but ho hum, what can you do!

Tips would be ibuprofen gel, which works wonders (as does voltarol but that stuff is pretty hardcore), both of these help to bring down inflammation topically. Rest, and when you get back on it, take it easy, if you get pain, just stop for a bit, don't play through the pain.

Crucially though, posture is what its all about. If standing, strap up a bit higher, raise the neck at a steeper angle, and try to minimise any sharp angles with your joints.

Why not go the whole hog and use oxycontin, and oxynorm, you won't feel anything for twelve hours and if you do get a pain spike that's what the oxynorm is for.  Ibuprofen? You might aswell recommend Tic Tacs or Smarties.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    I've already got Naproxen prescribed... but thanks.

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited March 2015
    impmann said:
    I've already got Naproxen prescribed... but thanks.

I trust your GP warned you about NSAIDS? If not, just make sure you take them with food!

Voltarol gel is basically Diclofenac at its heart, which is another NSAID. But as its topical, you don't have any of the stomach irr4itation issues.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Less strain the better. So better wrist angle, posture, lighter gauge strings. Glucosamine supplement might help. There's even a veggie version which I take regularly.
    This is probably the least strain you can have while playing in terms of wrist angle (not my pic, not my guitar).
    Thanks for the advice about the stomach irritation - yes she warned me on that.

Angle of the guitar looks to be something I need to look at for the future...

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Hope it clears up soon.

Any aspirin based painkillers can cause stomach troubles. I know I can't take them at all.

Be careful not to put strain on the wrist, lifting, typing, etc.

Listen to what Dr Death told you, and stick to it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    search the forum as this is discussed quite often and pearls of wisdom will be unearthed...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    as an old arthritic, lots of good ideas already offered , voltarol gel works well as an addition to naproxen, as for diet, lay off dairy products, alcohol & anything with artificial sweeteners in, when you get back to guitar playing look carefuly at string gauges & tension, I now use elixir nano 10-46 & swap the b & g strings for 12 & 15 gauge, loss of tone is negligible but a lot less stress on the fingers, no substitute for a good gp, spend your rest days on youtube, don't be tempted to use those spring grip exercise monstrosities either, a couple of weeks will soon pass, all best, mike b.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    I had it and it took some time to get away and I had cortisone injected locally too. 
    I'm back to normal now. 
    What you need to be careful of is every movement other than gtr-related ones that might slow down healing.
    Anything you can afford not to do don't do it; eg washing dishes etc. 
    Light massage with an ice-cube locally helped a lot with the pain and my practitioner at the time said that research was showing it helped healing too. 
    When you start playing again, go softly and when you'll feel comfortable to do longer playing sessions focus on stamina and posture rather than speed and strength (for bends). You will have to train your hand to withstand repetitive but light motions. Be careful of rehab exercises that demand strength and focus on those that demand less of it but last longer. Conventional physio treats such injuries the same way as those that athletes get in usually bulkier muscle groups. Your fingers and wrist don't need to be taking any weight on, the fingers just need to be able to move repetitively for long periods pressing the strings whilst the wrist remains at a stationary position which depending on your style might be inconvenient in the long run. So no spring grips, rather light weight (1kg max) wrist lifting and many reps and extending your fingers/ clocking fist motions.
    This is what you need to be focusing on, imho, during your rehab. Then once you get better you can try more conventional strengthening exercises. 
    Food sups like gloucozamine are not for healing, rather for conditioning. No harm in them but you'll notice the benefits later on. 
    I chose to stop the meds soon after I realised that they weren't doing much but I have stomach problems history and didn't want to put any further stress to it. 
    When you start gigging again, be careful when lugging gear in/ out and always stretch and ice your hand afterwards.
    Most importantly imho, find ways to deal with the frustration, if you get any, in case it takes longer to go away or if any early attempts of playing again are painful and discouraging. I probably became depressed during my injury and waking up at 3am from the pain didn't help. But it took almost a year to get to 100%.and I started feeling a bit hopeless. Hopefully yours is much less severe and you'll be back to shape in not time.

Finally, if you think there is any value in what you will be reading in this thread that is not proposed by your doctor, best bring it up and get his/hers medical opinion. 

Good luck; you need to believe it will get better and it most likely will. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I suffered for years with RSI and tendinitis. I too had to stop playing for a few months.

One thing I now do religiously before playing is stretch my finger muscles and wrist. Since doing this it's really helped.

The good news is tendinitis passes, just stick to the month off.
    Thanks go the advice guys, it's really appreciated. :-)

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I've suffered with Tenosynovitis for about ten years. I still gig every week, but no longer really think of myself as a "lead" guitarist anymore - which is not really a bad thing at my age anyway.
    :)
    When it flares up I just concentrate on my slide playing for a while.
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    edited March 2015
    Funnily enough I'm sat in x-Ray waiting to get a scan on my hand. 

They're pretty sure it's tendonitis but want to double check it's not a fracture. I've been on Naproxen for 3 weeks and quite heavy painkillers (currently on tramadol). 
    My problem is I can't rest it because of my job. I teach guitar, do session work and make custom backing tracks for people, and being self employed if I don't work I don't earn. 

Rest it as much as you can, take the tablets, ice packs regular and hopefully you'll see an improvement.
  • Dalefty;571815" said:
    Man the fuck up and switch to playing lefty, problem solved, you can play guitar again today if you go out and buy a lefty.

DaLefty
    It's in the wrist too - where you pick from.

Follow doctors advice, and let it heal. Then, build gradually and remember to warm up - slowly, and for a decent amount of time. Bloody horrible thing, but malmsteem recovered from it iirc, and dave mustaine is also a sufferer.
    paul_xt said:
    Funnily enough I'm sat in x-Ray waiting to get a scan on my hand. 

They're pretty sure it's tendonitis but want to double check it's not a fracture. I've been on Naproxen for 3 weeks and quite heavy painkillers (currently on tramadol). 
    My problem is I can't rest it because of my job. I teach guitar, do session work and make custom backing tracks for people, and being self employed if I don't work I don't earn. 

Rest it as much as you can, take the tablets, ice packs regular and hopefully you'll see an improvement.
    Good luck on that fella... my income is guitar derived too, so this is scary stuff.

Naproxen is fucking horrible though - I was woken up by sweats and sickness at 1.30am... I've been told there's some kind of other tablet you can get to offset the side effects, but haven't spoken to the quack about that yet.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited March 2015
    impmann said:

Naproxen is fucking horrible though - I was woken up by sweats and sickness at 1.30am... I've been told there's some kind of other tablet you can get to offset the side effects, but haven't spoken to the quack about that yet.
    Hi @impmann

Probably worth talking to your doc sooner rather than later if you are suffering an adverse reaction...I'm a long-term Naproxen user (an aggressive form of arthritis) and take additional tablets to protect my stomach lining, but have never suffered any reaction from the Naproxen.  Prob worth a check just to be sure...

Andy