Monterey pop graphics

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
Was doing my local guitar tech a favour today, tweaking some Monterey pop graphics, getting the sizes right etc.. for a project he's doing for a client.

I did a test print and tried the against my surf green Strat, think it looks great! Just ordered some inkjet decal paper, think I might apply them :)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/image_5.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/image_4.jpg
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Must admit I keep looking at #1 son's white Strat and wondering whether I should break out the Sharpies or not... 

Go for it I reckon, looks great :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    Nice, there must be a market for those.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
    JookyChap said:
    Must admit I keep looking at #1 son's white Strat and wondering whether I should break out the Sharpies or not... 

Go for it I reckon, looks great :)
    If the waterslide attempt comes out half decent, I'd be happy to send you a set. 

p90fool said:
    Nice, there must be a market for those.
    I said to the guy in question, a finished red and white body with the graphics might do well on eBay, hard to track down!

Niallmo said:
    I've only got a certain number of sheets coming, but if these work out on the first attempt (requires 2x A4) I could potentially send you a set as well. 

First attempt though, so not expecting great things :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Awesome, looking forward to see how it turns out. I've had a look about and it didn't look like anyone is doing this type of decoration. Plenty of pinups and fretboard stickers but few well known body designs.

In related news I've ordered a "Voodoo" reverse bridge pickup pickguard...
  • works really well w surf green! Would look beautiful on my malmsteen Strat! Pm me if you ever decide to print and sell a few
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    I'll update this thread once done, the only thing I'm not confident on transfer wise is the bluey/turquoise colour, probably OK on a white guitar, but not sure how it'll show on a colour base, we'll see I guess :)
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Well, I'm game to try it on a white Strat if you like. The chaps are right though, think you could do well with these...

The Rocky Racoon might be a bit trickier to pull off mind :)

Hmm.. well the good news is the colours look good against coloured bodies:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/image_7.jpg

The bad news is that the transfers dry white!

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/image_6.jpg

Ive taken them back off before they fully dried. Now to track down some truly transparent decal paper.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    edited April 2015
    So close!!!

Are you sealing them with lacquer before applying... Maybe try a different sort
    Looks great! Pity about the paper, must be some clear out there somewhere...
    WezV said:
    So close!!!

Are you sealing them with lacquer before applying... Maybe try a different sort
    I think the lack of lacquer / clear is the problem. I bought this paper because the instructions didn't mention needing it (hoping to avoid that step). 

All of the other brands mention needing it. 

Will it not make the decal less flexible?
    Attempted round 2 tonight. I bought some art supply type spray on gloss varnish, printed and cut out the details, gave the, a coat of varnish and allowed to set. 

It was better, but still not good enough, so again I removed them. If you could apply the fiddly decals well and were planning on adding a proper finish on top, I reckon waterslide decals would work, without lacquer though, I think this is a no go. 

Last option is inkjet printable clear vinyl, might have a go, but it'd be very, very hard to apply these first time in the right place with no bubbles etc..
    Bubbles are no prob, just chase them out. There's a guy in the states who uses clear transfers...found the link then lost it!
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    Are you using waterslide paper for an inkjet or laser printer, I've had some very good results making them using a laser printer, but not so good results using an inkjet printer.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    I use waterslide decal paper for pedals. The background dries white, but one coat of clear acrylic is always enough to make it go clear in my experience.
    Niallmo said:
    Bubbles are no prob, just chase them out. There's a guy in the states who uses clear transfers...found the link then lost it!
    I ordered the 'paper' last night, round three next week maybe :)
    Dalefty said:
    Are you using waterslide paper for an inkjet or laser printer, I've had some very good results making them using a laser printer, but not so good results using an inkjet printer.

DaLefty
    This was Inkjet as it's all I have available to me, kind of makes sense why Laser jet stuff might be better, as it wouldn't need to be as permeable? (maybe anyway)
    DannyP said:
    I use waterslide decal paper for pedals. The background dries white, but one coat of clear acrylic is always enough to make it go clear in my experience.
    I can definitely see it being OK slathered in a top coat, but that's not something I want to do to this guitar really :)
    I moved on the guitar destined for these, but thought you might be interested to see how they came out on the guitar tech finished guitar :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7133
    Looks good. Much nicer than the official Fender one!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Me still likely... Yum yum
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life