NGD: Reverend Warhawk

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
The Fret King is dead and I have found religion.

The Esprit 5, whilst a really well made and great sounding guitar, really wasn't for me. It was enormous, heavy and designed for playing standing up. I did like the offset look though, so was thinking of changing for a Jazzmaster or similar.

I was offered a swap for this. It's a Mark 1 Reverend Warhawk HB with the pups replaced by Tonerider Rebel 90s. Bolt on neck with a 25.5" scale length, as opposed to the newer 24.75" set necks. Nice and chunky and very comfy and the Fender scale length is definitely my preference.

The P90s are excellent and sound great with the Korina body. The wiring has been changed to 2 volumes and master tone, rather than the usual Reverend bass contour thing.

Couple of marks on the front from a removed Vibramate & Bigsby - I plan to stick one on anyway so no harm done there. Pickups are a bit grotty and tarnished but some Brasso might do the job. Nice Reverend hard case too.

Anyway, nothing particularly special but I know we all like a pic or two. So here you go!

I restrung with 11-49 D'addarios and it sounds superb - especially for swampy CCR type southern rock. 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3914
    I didn't think I was gonna like it, but I do. Very QOTSA.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Very nice Chuff, let me know what you think of the tonerider rebel 90s I've been considering them for a while.  Definitely more pics when a bigsby goes on.

Good score.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I had a Warhawk, regret selling it. I think swapping out from the bass contour is a mistake though
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I really should have bought the one I tried years ago. I really like them. That's some good GAS.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited October 2013
    @daveyh Not sure that the bass contour would do much for me with P90s to be honest. Presume it would just make 'em more regular single coil sounding? However, happy to be corrected!

The Rebel 90s sound terrific but I haven't much experience with p90s so hard for me to comment.

@Adam_MD I'd be happy to call in with you some weekend to let you hear them if you like. Let me know and we can try to arrange something in a couple of weeks time.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    I think I preferred the look of the Fret King, but if it was too ungainly to use then this looks like another trade up!

A friend of mine has one of these with three P90s, and the bass contour is useful - but it also had a little extra cap fitted right on the output jack where it was hard to see, that rather strangled the tone. If yours has one, get rid of it and it will really open the tone up.

You can give something of the effect of the bass contour if you add a fairly large value treble-pass cap to each of the volume controls.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    nice :D
    I'll have a look for that cap near the jack. However, as an electronics noob, I will then just stare at it and close everything up again.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    I missed out on one of these a while back. Well cool nice one.
    I did score a reverend club king rt which was wicked. Only thing i didnt dig was the neck , wee bit big for me
  • Chuffola said:
    @daveyh Not sure that the bass contour would do much for me with P90s to be honest. Presume it would just make 'em more regular single coil sounding? However, happy to be corrected!

The Rebel 90s sound terrific but I haven't much experience with p90s so hard for me to comment.

@Adam_MD I'd be happy to call in with you some weekend to let you hear them if you like. Let me know and we can try to arrange something in a couple of weeks time.

I have a Warhawk with 3 x P90s and use the bass contour quite a lot. you have guessed correctly, it does make for a more single coil sound, but at full, it give a very different palette of tones. Far more useful IMHO that the regular tone control
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I found that using the bass contour I could get a pretty convincing tele approximation!
    I have a Tele that gives me a pretty convincing Tele approximation.

:P

But I take the point. I'll look into it. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5535
    I like. A lot!
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    There's something about it that makes me think it's a real "player's guitar." The sort of thing that's just really enjoyable to play.