Homemade pedalboard build

What's Hot
After my brother gave me one of these ABS plastic cases for my birthday, I decided to use it to house a custom pedalboard:

After a fair bit of planning and plotting, a trip to the DIY store for some steel tube and some time in the garage with a hacksaw I came up with this:

I'm lucky because I work in a bicycle shop where we build our own frames (although I am not the actual framebuilder) so had access to welding and brazing equipment so after some playing with fire... 

...I ended up with a nice frame for a pedalboard.  With some nice 18mm phenolic plywood added for the pedal platforms I had this:

The brazing is not the absolute neatest but for a first go at it I am pretty chuffed.  Could do with a little bit of a clean up and maybe some paint but it all works really nicely.  The front row of pedals are dropped down inside the frame to keep the overall height as low as possible but there is a good size riser for the rear row of pedals.  The best bit though is that it all packs away into the case really neatly with the Wah pedal and One Spot power supply neatly enclosed in the foam beneath the board:

It's all held in nice and tidily and without any rattling with the lid shut.

Signal path for info is:

TU-2
Homemade Fuzzface clone (the grey box)
Wah
CS-9
TS-9
Soul Food
BF-2
TR-2

The space in the top left is for an imminent delay pedal, most likely to be a Carbon Copy or a DM-2w.
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Definitely a wow although your bro has odd choice in present buying!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1808
    Ah, the present was not entirely unprompted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4992
    Nice work my friend but the metal frame would look better if it is painted.  And you ought to do something about your workshop space - it is way to neat and tidy.  And everything is so new looking, needs some distressing.  :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I think I will probably get the frame powder coated but maybe not in traditional black.  Maybe a nice grey or silver.  We have a friendly coater that we use for the bike frames so that should work.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    That phenolic ply looks massive. Does it not weigh a fair bit?
    It's 18mm so fairly thick but the plan area is not that big.  The board weighs nowt in relation to the pedals on the top of it really
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Been planning a DIY pedal board build myself but I won't manage anything nearly so competent as that. What do you reckon it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
    I was lucky really.  The case was a pressie (but they're £50 at Maplins) and the ply was donated by a friend who owns a company that makes conveyors.  The metal bits were about £14 from B&Q.

I also spent about a fiver on rubber feet and tubing caps via ebay but have loads left over.

Pretty good really I reckon.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26735
    Mate...burn/singe the edges of the wood, and that'd have an excellent industrial and beaten-up look to it.

Nice work :)
    <space for hire>
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Weird, I woke up this morning and there were two rectangles cut out of the floor of my Transit One Stop body.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That's great! Nice job!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Cheers, I'm pretty chuffed with how it has worked out
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Looks like a pro job mate. Nice work

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1