New Arrival! Wolfram - Triumph - Parlour Guitar - c1893-1910

Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited September 2014 in Acoustics
Despite actually being bankrupt GAS took hold of me and when I sold some shit on Ebay I was an idiot and bought a guitar that I have always wanted with the money.

It a Wolfram - Triumph parlour guitar from between 1893-1910 I haven't had a chance to check the date for this one. They are possibly the first guitar model to be partly made of aluminium (fretboard) and Wolfram are possibly the second company in the world just after Merill to have used aluminium on musical instruments.

Its in pretty good condition for its age but is in need of a neck reset (this was stated when I bought it) and the bridge is not original.

imageimage

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    A bit of a gem I'm sure. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They apparently only made 300 and some of them are parlour guitars and some are dreadnaughts. They don't actually go for much money though, this cost me just over £300 from the states which included postage and the customs charges. It seems that they were really unpopular at the time and as such aluminium is quite an aquired taste.
    Old Is Gold
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Looks real nice. I'd have one. I love parlour guitars.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    What does the aluminium do for the tone? I'd love to hear it. :)
  • Its meant to make it sound somewhere inbetween an old parlour and a resonator but im ot 100% convinced, it is certainly fairly bright sounding full a nylon strung instrument though.

It really needs its neck reset before I can comment accurately.

Old Is Gold
  • KbhrKbhr Frets: 0
    I have a chance to buy one of these.  What kind of wood is the guitar made of?  
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I know this is an ancient thread, but wow that's a beautiful guitar, I have a real a passion for pre 30s guitars, what ever happened to it?
  • Kbhr;691827" said:
    I have a chance to buy one of these.  What kind of wood is the guitar made of?  
    @Kbhr

Spruce top /rosewood body or atleast veneer is, I think the neck is mahogany but it's a weird cut so could be cedar (feels fairly light). Wood and cellulose binding. Rosewood head plate. Bridge is ebony but is a replacement.
    Old Is Gold
  • mrchi;692850" said:
    I know this is an ancient thread, but wow that's a beautiful guitar, I have a real a passion for pre 30s guitars, what ever happened to it?
    I still have it my friend is just gluing the neck back on after a reset as I hate doing repairs. Hopefully I can record a video sometime soon.
    Old Is Gold
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited July 2015
    A video would be lovely, I would be very interested in seeing it... Plus all your other antique guitars to be honest!
  • KbhrKbhr Frets: 0
    The one I'm going to look at tomorrow seems to be in great shape and playable for $400.  What should I be looking for as far as issues?