Faux binding on my Les Paul LPJ Goldtop : Latest update.Now with polished top.

What's Hot
breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274
edited May 2017 in Making & Modding
Been meaning to do this for a while now but have only just grown balls big enough to tackle it.I love my LPJ but the lack of binding on it always bugged me so I thought I'd give the old faux binding a go.This may be of interest to @underdog :-)

This is what it looked like before work started.

I first started out by masking the mahogany back off with thick electric tape and started gently sanding with a course paper and working down yo a mega smooth one.

And the finished product.You may not see on the pictures but I slightly rolled the edges too to make it look a bit more authentic rather than having a sharp edge.Turned out pretty we'll I think.I may just give it a light coat of satin varnish to protect the finish.

Finished product.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Wow, dramatic improvement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Looks great.  Well done for having the balls to do it.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Nice looks much better they should really do that at the factory.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Awesome job that looks really good, now have I got the balls to copy you ? :D
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274
    Thanks guys.Next job is to replace the over sized Gibson logo and add the Les Paul Model script to the headstock.I just need to wait a few weeks for my balls to grow that little bit larger.

Then it's the biggy.Full rewire and pickup replacement,by which time my sack should be just about ready to explode.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Are you going to wax and buff the top or leaving it?
  • Nice, that's worked really well.
    underdog said:
    I was thinking of trying to shine the top up a bit but wasn't sure what to use.It has gone shiny at the top where my arm rests and below the strings where I anchor my pinky.
    Have you any suggestions of what to use to bring the shine out?
    breakstuff;617465" said:
    underdog said:

I was thinking of trying to shine the top up a bit but wasn't sure what to use.It has gone shiny at the top where my arm rests and below the strings where I anchor my pinky.Have you any suggestions of what to use to bring the shine out?
    Someone (on here) mentioned their mate using furniture wax on one, for the life of me I can't remember who it was :D

A mid sheen would look lovely, that's what I got planned for mine (in the end).
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    Really well done, mate. That's a dramatic improvement!
    Yeah I might give that a go @underdog

Can't do any harm I suppose.Where it's gone shiny it looks quite good so I'd be.looking to match that sheen.

Thanks @DannyP
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    You've done a god job there mate, nice one :-)
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    When you compare what it looks like now to what it looked like when you first got it - and bearing in mind the faux binding would be achieved by a simple piece of masking tape in the spraying process, far less work than what you've had to do - it really is shocking how much of the *right* appearance Gibson have thrown away, to save, what... a few dollars?

Good work!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM;617631" said:
    When you compare what it looks like now to what it looked like when you first got it - and bearing in mind the faux binding would be achieved by a simple piece of masking tape in the spraying process, far less work than what you've had to do - it really is shocking how much of the *right* appearance Gibson have thrown away, to save, what... a few dollars?

Good work!
    Probably as well as money saving it also uses the model for people to aspire to own a "real" one, if an LPJ came out of the factory with (faux) binding and without the black pickup covers etc then it'd look very close to a standard so why would people want to save for a standard would be how Gibson see it.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    That's a vast improvement, and looks fantastic! Well done!
    Thanks guys.Next job is to replace the over sized Gibson logo and add the Les Paul Model script to the headstock, and the dodgy signature, and the freaky hologram on the back of the headstock..

Fixed for you.
    :) Hehe @mart

It's a 2013 model so thankfully free of such frivolities.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Very nice - I'm impressed how much better it looks :) 
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited May 2015
    That Gold Top looks so cool! =D> I done the same sorta thing to my stock Studio, stripped back to bare wood with Acetone, and refinished as a Black Top with faux binding! Plus replaced hardware, pups, wiring
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Awesome. Great job.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    So how did you get the binding look after the rubbing down?  It looks perfect.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.