Satch teaser

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    It's good but it's not amazing. The last album only had a couple of really good tracks. I find sometimes when he starts leaning toward more 'chordy' work (if that makes sense, it's now a technical term!) ;) things start to get a bit mushy and uninteresting but yes. I felt like Unstoppable Momentum was only released like yesterday!? Still, I would rather listen to this than Steve Vai's more recent outputs. I'm sure there will be some more delights in there somewhere.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Agree that Satch hasn't done anything great in a while. I would say the last full album of truly memorable tracks was The Extremist. Time Machine was OK but had some filler as did the self titled one. Hasn't got me excited for a long time.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited May 2015
    Agree that Satch hasn't done anything great in a while. I would say the last full album of truly memorable tracks was The Extremist. Time Machine was OK but had some filler as did the self titled one. Hasn't got me excited for a long time.
    To be fair, the whole point of Time Machine was that it was filler - it was all the tracks that didn't make the cut for previous albums.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I love Satch, but a lot of my 'loyalty' is largely due to history and the impact he had on me when I first heard his music.

I stopped taking so much interest in his albums, (I bought them but stopped being able to know the song names or even which album some of them were on), when the songs seemed to be more improvised rather than composed.

For example, anything on SWTA, FIABD, The Extremist or Crystal Planet had melody even within the faster solo sections. The later albums just seemed to have a lot of legato runs that didn't really go anywhere.

I really liked Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards - much better songs, good melodies and I really got into it through his YouTube sections explaining each song prior to the album release.

But I dunno. I just wish he'd concentrate a little more on the memorable melodies nowadays.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    The problem I have is that lots of these tracks sound like a commercial for DAW software or VSTs,,,
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I like his playing a lot although I'm an occasional Spotify listener rather than a die hard.

I see he's playing Hammersmith this autumn. Is he worth seeing or does it get repetitive after a while?
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    He is definitely worth seeing live at least once. I'm probably around 12-15 times now and still love his gigs :-)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I was really into his stuff when I was younger an learning. And I've continued to buy this albums. But there hasn't been one I've really loved since Time Machine. Though his last one was the first one in a long while I listened to quite a bit. 

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Worth seeing live now. I saw him a couple of times back in the day and it was a really boring show. Went to the first G3 tour and Vai blew him off the stage as far as showmanship goes. Since then Satch really upped his game live.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Sounds like typical Satch.  I'd be more interested in hearing more from Mike Keneally to be honest.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Last decent stuff Satch recorded was with Chickenfoot.  He hasn't made a good solo album since The Extremist.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom