Instant Jazz

What's Hot
tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

I am a humble teacher labouring on the lower slopes of music education not famous or dazzling but a good player and teacher with a 100 percent pass rate in exams and pupils who have been with me for over five years in some cases. Now I get from time to time young men who want to learn instant jazz/blues either on piano or guitar who want to know everything quickly but do not want to practice. I explain that if I could do this I would be a lot richer and could retire and that those people who are telling you this on the interweb are wait for it exaggerating their claims slightly Had one tonight nice lad - nice guitar but  did not know modes - arps - fretboard and wants it all quickly and cannot be bothered to practice as its not creative Do my best but will not see him again probably 
BTW I do get female pupils - but they practice and learn 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    If you do ever find the secret let us know! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

he already knows he's part of the iiVluminati.

Some day they'll be exposed and everyone will know the secret bebop scale of Blind Wee-Wee Jefferson.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Is his name Bill Oddie ? ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited May 2015
    There's some players who want to play "JAZZ", but never listen to any Jazz music. I find this very puzzling..............
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    edited May 2015
    GuyBoden;641368" said:
    There's some players who want to play "JAZZ", but never listen to any Jazz music. I find this very puzzling..............
    That's hilarious ... that's me. I also want to learn the banjo, but don't listen anything played with a banjo. The idea of it is cool, and its on the list, but it's a little way off :)

I'm what's wrong with the world ...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    GuyBoden said:
    I think people confuse playing Jazz, with playing something Jazzy. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    I play jazz all the time but then I keep practiing and nail it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Jazz is based on fear:

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    GuyBoden said:
    define Jazz
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I've met a fair amount of shredders who want the occasional fruity chord and to grok syncopation to be like Nuno and Paul Gilbert ... I can't see any value in judging them for it.

GuyBoden said:
    define Jazz
    It's been well documented and defined over the years, it includes dixieland, swing, bebop, fusion and free jazz, but the great thing is that it's constantly evolving................................  
    :)
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

no matter what you want to play well, classical, shred, jazz, country... anything really..

there's no short cut.. and each style is pretty much a lifestyle in its own right..

plus.... there are very few players multi-discipline players that are serious masters of jazz and metal shred and country etc..

the only one I can think of that can is Guthrie... he's one of a kind and should be in the circus cos he ain't normal...

play every note as if it were your first
    Clarky said:

no matter what you want to play well, classical, shred, jazz, country... anything really..

there's no short cut.. and each style is pretty much a lifestyle in its own right..

plus.... there are very few players multi-discipline players that are serious masters of jazz and metal shred and country etc..

the only one I can think of that can is Guthrie... he's one of a kind and should be in the circus cos he ain't normal...

Very true, but even Guthrie isn't great at Bebop to most Jazz player's ears.....
    GuyBoden said:

Very true, but even Guthrie isn't great at Bebop to most Jazz player's ears.....
    Ugh, this old chestnut... IIRC it's some...not most... (but of course I guess it depends on your definition of Jazz as to who fits into that circle of "jealous listeners"*) actually IIRC it was Metheny who said this in 2008, I guess his fanboys are still echoing that.

Doesn't seem to include people like Jack Zucker, who seems to know a thing or two about it.

Doesn't seem to bother Zak Barrett much either... or didn't for the 12 years he played in the Bassment with him... doing shred numbers like Afro Blue, Summertime, Chromazone, One Shining Soul and some of Meshuggah's lesser known tracks..

It didn't seem to bother Lee Ritenour either when he played Sevens with Tal Wickenfield, Vinnie Collouita and Guthrie on that album he put out a while back.

Seems there's always someone prepared to sacrifice enjoying music for the sake of observing music, then think they're doing everyone else a service by being a drag.

For anyone not in the know Bebop is one strand of Jazz that a fair few people believe died in the 60s, if you want to fake it play the major scale with an added flat seventh and play the scale up and down - start on a chord tone and every strong beat will then have a chord tone...which is why the scale was invented (to play by numbers when you're playing too fast to think about what precisely you're playing) of course there's more to it than that and if you go to the Hufflepuff student common room, I'm sure there are at least twenty jazz-wizards willing to explain it to you, just follow the scent of broken biscuits ;)

* term coined by Theodore Adornos in The Theory of Modern Music to describe ... well, some people who listen to Jazz music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51
    By jazz I mean modal playing - bluesy jazz - tunes with passing notes using arps and modes and stuff 
    Some bop yes but other styles have now been developed Also play and invent a TUNE around chords - notes whatever   

IMO You have to hear it to play it - and you have to know your way around the fretboard in order to be creative  In order to bend and break the rules - you have to know them 

I kinda agree with internalising this stuff till it's instinct (not even referenced by name), but then again I'm not really happy about the pointless judgement that's being leveraged to make the humble-brags in this thread.

If you've not heard it before, a humble-brag is where you say something like "aw jeez, I only managed 80 roundhouse kicks in a minute today, I think I'm coming down with a cold" - the overt message is "oh noes I r unwell" the covert message is "I can do 80 roundhouse kicks in a minute, bitches!" ... the reason it's covert is because some people aren't comfortable bragging, or they're used to getting put down for bragging (or more to the point they feel put down when people counter their statements of their own awesome).

But the problem with a humble-brag is it just drags other humble-braggers out of the wood-work, people don't get the recognition that'd make them feel great...  and you get a round of what Eric Berne called "Isn't it Awful".

By all means say you're the bomb at Jazz and feel great about it, few have earned it like you Tony :) but I think that greatness is undermined if it isn't founded on generosity and compassion - for one you'll doubt my motives for saying it. Billy Cobham is a lovely guy, to see his face fall a little speaks more volumes than Pat Metheny calling other musicians "musical necrophiliacs" or "pooched out".

Most of the great teachers I've had, are mentors or coaches. Learning the vital minor adjustments to thinking and posture that seem too easy to take seriously, but they keep me on course till I can feel/hear the benefits, at which point I take over.

So with ACM lecturers/Nashville Session Musicians (how to view practice, how to observe and accept failings, how to plot a path away from those failings, how to perform, how to relax, how to stop feeling inadequate about playing) that stuff that's required to be brought to mind with great frequency - and that's what I was coached to do, at that stage playing music is a piece of piss.

At present I'm learning kickboxing after years of Karate - ones a sport the other is martial art, people can get a blackbelt at some clubs (not mine) and be utterly useless at defending themselves (except in an internet debate).

In 2 private sessions with a UK Muay Thai champion, I've a better guard, kick and stronger punch - most of that comes from putting my feet in the right place... he took a look at my boxing and knew what to fix first. He then came up with a way to fix that by getting me to see the benefits. He had the confidence to say, okay this is a bit dull, but we'll find a way to make it genuinely exciting.

In counselling, when I learned to control my anger, I was taught to simply control my breathing and stifle the chain of physiological events, it took a few weeks - it made a shocking difference the next time someone decided to start a row with me, my heart rate didn't go up and the other guy backed down bewildered at his failed attempts to escalate the situation. I've spent years afterwards improving my understanding of family systems and transactional analysis but the reality is the profound stuff took a really short time for a great communicator to get me to experience.

You got students who don't want to practice? Well, feel sad about it or find a way to make them want to practice.. what switch got flipped in your head when you were a kid that never got flipped in theirs? Reprogram them! Save them from having a borderline personality, help them be mindful, rock their world. change your little bit of the world too.

I think it's trendy in music to be cynical, my Dad does it, some of my friends do it, but I think it's a massive impediment, frankly the ones who aren't cynical are the ones I play my best with and I'd rather play with or to, people don't share as much with cynical people - some people like that because they look around and see nothing but mediocrity - it's self fulfilling and a little delusional.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    define Jazz
    Interviewer: "what is jazz?"
    Louis Armstrong: "Man, if you have to ask, you'll never know"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    frankus said:
    Seems there's always someone prepared to sacrifice enjoying music for the sake of observing music, then think they're doing everyone else a service by being a drag.

I couldn't agree more with this..

have a wisdom

time for Clarky to come out of the closet...

I'm a secret Gyspy Jazz fan

it makes me smile

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Frankus what a load of bollocks My post is about people who do not want to learn the basics whatever the style 

1 Fretboard knowedge is required at beginner plus level ie Grade 2 in guitar exams 
    3 Ear training starts at absolute beginner level  and is continual