Noise Suppressors

What's Hot
DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508

I've got my guitar dirty tone nailed but it produces way too much feedback for my liking. Also my DBA Reverberation Machine sounds absolutely immaculate, but produces a wee bit too much noise (well, it is a DBA pedal after all).

Don't really want to spend £110+ on an ISP Decimator (or £160+ for the G-String) even though they're seen as the crème-de-la-menthe [/delboy],

So any good budget alternatives? Of course there's the NS-2 and the MXR Smartgate and I know there's plenty more under the surface going for cheap, but it's a matter of knowing if they're actually any good or not!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

My own choices  are the Smartgate and NS-2, depending on what I want.

Smartgate for reducing back-ground/pedal noise. NS-2 for sharply cut Pantera-style staccato riffage.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508

The first route would be preferable as my band doesn't really consist of sharp, precise guitar work. It's more a dense, sludgy wall of noise but there are some parts where the feedback does intrude massively in the stop-start parts.

Have just seen the Mooer Noise Killer (these guys again) which looks great for the money. Looks to be a clone of the Decimator, even with the one solitary knob and the colour.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

I have an NS-2 which I've found to be brilliant. Put your noisy pedals in the loop and surprise,surprise, no noise. Silences my single coil hum/buzz too. Set it up right (read the manual) and it doesn't choke sustain either. Admittedly, I haven't tried any other noise suppressors but since I got the Boss, I haven't felt the need to.

It's the Ronseal of pedals - does exactly what it says on the tin.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Smart Gate. 

I've had the NS2 and the ISP but stuck with the MXR Smart Gate... been using the same one for about 10 years now. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    The decimator really is the daddy, I used one for ages before I went multi-fx.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Get rid of the DBA.... All their stuff Ive ever tried adds a ridiculous amount of noise
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    I use an NS2 only because I found one second hand locally. It's ok and as @Beexter says it does what it says on the tin. Set it up right and you can leave it. As for cheaper ones, there was a FB member who tried a pair of cheaper ones and they didn't work for him.....but can't remember who it was or what cheaper brand they were.....helpful huh? Hopefully they will be along shortly
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Ns2 has always been my weapon of choice,for the kind of music I write it's almost an essential!

I didn't get on with the smart gate or noise clamp, the other guitarist in my old band loved his though.