Hayden mofo 15

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
Further on from my recent speaker advice thread, my dissatisfaction with the sound of my dual terror is growing so I'm also looking at alternative amps. My local shop has the mofo 15 head for less than I would get second hand for the dual terror. Anyone any experience of these? I'm looking for enough power for a blues/rock band at rehearsal and as a gig back up in the usual pub gigs. Only single channel so would prob use my eq pedal in front as a solo boost
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    It would be a massive downgrade from the Dual Terror, and I don't even like the Dual Terror.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited May 2015
    Is it the 2nd generation one? Had one recently and didn't gel with it at all. I liked it but could never quite get it to a sweet spot I was happy with. Pretty well put together though and the 2 watt setting was handy at home.
    I stand to be corrected, but I don't think you'll find too much extra in the mofo that isn't already in your Orange. Just my opinion of course.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    I was concerned the price and feature downgrade wouldn't be worth it. I really like the idea of the lunch box heads as a grab and go for rehearsal and small convenient back up amp for gigs but I just can't seem to find one I like! Tried the h&k tubemeister 18 recently and didn't like that either. May just have to bite the bullet regarding the size and go for the 20watt 2 channel jet city head!
    Or take out a second mortgage and get one of the Mesa ones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I had a mini recto and ultimately I couldn't find a tone I really really liked out of it. It was bloody loud too. The clean was lush but the drive channel was a bit underwhelming. The rectoverb 25 and mk v 25 do look like they might be better than the one I had though.
    ICBM;642809" said:
    Or take out a second mortgage and get one of the Mesa ones...
    Sorry to hijack thread but have been meaning to ask @ICBM what you think about the Mesa Rectoverb combo with regards build, reliability etc. I know I like the sound but wouldn't mind an educated opinion of quality before such a big outlay, and you seem to be, as the kids would say, da man.
    The big one, or the mini one?

The big one is OK for build quality, although it has a couple of fairly annoying flaws - poor reverb with a hang-over when switching from dirty to clean, and a tendency to produce a resonant 'boom' on palm-muted chords in Modern High-Gain mode. They seem reliable enough though. I wouldn't buy a new one, they're ridiculously overpriced and don't hold their value well so you'll take a big hit if you sell it - but a good enough buy secondhand.

I haven't played the mini one yet - I didn't particularly like the Mini Rectifier so I haven't been in a great hurry to check it out.

ICBM;643027" said:
    The big one, or the mini one?

The big one is OK for build quality, although it has a couple of fairly annoying flaws - poor reverb with a hang-over when switching from dirty to clean, and a tendency to produce a resonant 'boom' on palm-muted chords in Modern High-Gain mode. They seem reliable enough though. I wouldn't buy a new one, they're ridiculously overpriced and don't hold their value well so you'll take a big hit if you sell it - but a good enough buy secondhand.

I haven't played the mini one yet - I didn't particularly like the Mini Rectifier so I haven't been in a great hurry to check it out.
    Cheers my man and, once more, apologies for the hijack @mark_jwedge

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited May 2015
    Well, the other guitarist in my band gets done great sounds from his Mofo 15 (1st gen). It's been super reliable too - and it doesn't have an easy life.

Why not try it out rather than asking what others think of it? I always think that's a strange approach. From a reliability standpoint our experience in the band has been that's bulletproof - put it another way my HRD has gone wrong more than the Mofo.

In terms of volume- it is way loud enough either through a 1x12 or 2x12. He uses a boost pedal in the send/return loop, and that works really well.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.