SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

what do we think of the Egnater Tweaker?

What's Hot
wordywordy Frets: 67
edited October 2013 in Amps £

I've had one of these for a couple of months, the 15 watt version, and I don't feel like I've gotten anything like the best out of it yet.  It surely doesnt help that its a tube amp, and I play at low-ish volume.  I'm looking to get a singing lead tone out of it really.

I'm starting to think that I should run the amp totally clean, and maybe try the modelling options of the Zoom G3 into it.  I also saw someone on here was recording using one of those Joyo Tech 21 clones, and I wondered how that would sound into the Tweaker.

I just got a Yamaha THR5 last night, and of course it is just superb, even at speaking volumes - the tone is alive, and all the picking dynamics come through nicely - I'm sure something similar must be possible with the Tweaker, but not the way I'm using it so far.

Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moominman2moominman2 Frets: 9
    edited October 2013
    I had the 40w version for only a couple of days. Gigged it then moved it on. I found it did everything I wanted it to ("a couple days"- my tone is simple), but didn't really gel with it. Unlike my current amps, it didn't 'wow' me when I gigged it. Felt a little lifeless, even when I changed some tubes.

However, saying that...I didn't give it nearly enough time to grow on me. Great amps for portability though!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Love mine (the 40w head version).

I don't use it much at home these days as I have a Yam THR10 but I love the Tweaker at gigs. Used it regularly for the last year and a half. I do run pedals into it though (a Suhr Koko Boost and a Catalinbread DLS)

• wordywordy Frets: 67
    edited October 2013

I spent a good two hours with it tonight 'tweaking' and definitely got closer to something I like.

Using the Brit + Modern + Not much gain + Klone + Delay seemed better to me than having gain from the amp, and turning the master right down.

Hopefully will get to turn it up at some point and really get the thing cooking.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use the Tweaker 40 and it took me a while to get to know it. I ended up using the manual !! ( I know ! ) Anyway, the best tones I got were using it clean on one channel, slightly overdriven on the other and then either a Fulltone GT500 used like a TS9 or sometimes a CM Hot Drive and Boost and then it really sings. I find using its full drive to be a bit fuzzy and processed sounding. Really, I should have gone for the Rebel 30 hand on heart but I have this and I'm persevering and getting some great tones now.
  • Love mine, a 15, had it a couple of years now.

This is the only amp I've ever played and thought "it's there" and found "it" was still there at home.

"It" is still there now.

It sounds wonderful and of course it's really flexible.  Mainly a household player and I don't have a problem with it playing quietly - though I do use an attenuator so that it's in the "working zone" at the right volumes.  Fifteen watts (with a bit of distortion) is not quiet!
    @Headphones which attenuator are you using, and how does it work?  In the loop?
  • I use a simple L-pad in a die cast box (with holes!).

Like this one:

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/20273-high-power-l-pad-mono-60h.html

You'll need to go well over the 15W as that's the RMS value, and not what it sticks out as the waveform becomes a bit squarer...  I use a 100w as the price difference between that and the 50w is trivial. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I've used a Rebel 30 head for the past 18 months, the Tweaker is way too 'much' for me, I love the Rebel. Amp in a bag and I get great sounds out of it dry. Horses for courses tho.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • The Rebels I've tried seem to turn the guitar "paper cut with added lemon juice, while squashing chillies" sharp, regardless of the tone settings.  Are they all like that - is that the bit you like?
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I had at tweaker and loved it. Only problem was I spent to much time tweaking as I'm rarely completely satisfied with my sound. Also for live use it was a bit of a fiddle. Great for home though.

I think the Tweaker cleans are lovely - at times almost piano-like to my ears.

I stacked overdrives into it last night - and I'm definitely enjoying the lead tones I'm getting now, even at what I would call loud-music-listening volume.

Curious about the attenuator now though.....

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited October 2013
    Headphones;67701" said:
    The Rebels I've tried seem to turn the guitar "paper cut with added lemon juice, while squashing chillies" sharp, regardless of the tone settings.  Are they all like that - is that the bit you like?

Nope not at all! Doesn't do that to my guitars. I find it a versatile responsive piece of kit all round. Can get great sounds out of it. It's each to their own tho, I hated the DSL's I've had, others love em.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."