Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited July 2016
    Having a lot more fun with Helix now. Stopped fiddling with dials and just play more. Whatever happened in that update just works for me. The Cali Lead has great dynamics even at high gain. No ear fatigue whilst playing, just feels really good like it should. Ps. Sorry about the shorts and if you dont want to listen to my sloppy 8th note practice then ill understand but heres a vid anyway :P ps. dont mind the kids, its the school holidays!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Nice shorts... you nearly let the boys out the barracks on a couple of occasions there.
    Very Francis Dunnery in bits. Sounds great 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    Nice shorts... you nearly let the boys out the barracks on a couple of occasions there.
    Very Francis Dunnery in bits. Sounds great 
    Haha cheers man 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sounds great, what was that played through? 
    John_A said:
    Cheers man, it was just the Helix Cali Lead with a Minotaur in front and some of the new delay into the effects return of the Cornford 

The new Cali Lead model has that lovely smooth fusion tone thats so fun to play with but on a lot of modellers and real amps it can become tiresome and fatiguing due to the lack of dynamic. I know the sound qualities poor but you can here lots of little different nuances and harmonics etc when you're playing through it at gain which makes it really fun
    edited July 2016
    So what do we all want for helix now? Wheres the next step? I think its pretty much there. The headphone out is even sounding great now and thats just with the stock cabs... well dual cabs but whatever. Haven't loaded any IR's yet after the update and I'm pretty pleased already.

I think auto was engage would be great, and save a button. I would also like better reverbs for no other reason than to just to shut everyone on the internet the hell up about it. Polyphonic tracking for harmoniser/synth stuff would be cool if its manageable.

After the update i even think the drive pedals sound a bit better... or maybe its just because the amps i use sound better, i haven't tried them into a real amp yet. 

so...

1. Auto-engage wah
    2. New reverbs... but keep the 63 Spring pleaaaaase
    3. Polyphonic tracking
    4. A Dumble style amp or at least a Super and ill just eq a mid kick
    5. A Cornford MK model cause I use one and Line 6 should pander to my every individual whim

But yeah, if you get the first 4 done i think its complete!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

John_A said:
    Cheers man, it was just the Helix Cali Lead with a Minotaur in front and some of the new delay into the effects return of the Cornford 

The new Cali Lead model has that lovely smooth fusion tone thats so fun to play with but on a lot of modellers and real amps it can become tiresome and fatiguing due to the lack of dynamic. I know the sound qualities poor but you can here lots of little different nuances and harmonics etc when you're playing through it at gain which makes it really fun

Are you running cab models in to the FX return or do you have them disabled?  That's pretty much my plan for live use, don't want to go direct to FOH when the other guitarist is still running a big valve amp as backline, maybe I'll get him to concert too :)  Need to stop dithering and get one ordered before prices go up. 

Does anyone have any idea if the Warranty is transferable if I bought a used one?  There a few on ebay at the moment

John_A said:

John_A said:

Are you running cab models in to the FX return or do you have them disabled?  That's pretty much my plan for live use, don't want to go direct to FOH when the other guitarist is still running a big valve amp as backline, maybe I'll get him to concert too :)  Need to stop dithering and get one ordered before prices go up. 

Does anyone have any idea if the Warranty is transferable if I bought a used one?  There a few on ebay at the moment

I use the Helix in 4cm, sometimes slipping in a Helix amp model. I dont use any cab or IR when using the Helix amp models. I dont use the preamps because of the type of amp I'm like to use, a lot of the overdrive comes from the power amp modelling, however this may mean you have to adjust your real power amps presence or resonance control as things can get sloppy... but I'm splitting hairs really

Just go get one man, what ever the future throughs at you Helix will be able to get you through the gig one way or another!

A bit confused (I'm easily confused) in the previous post you said 'it was just the Helix Cali Lead with a Minotaur in front and some of the new delay into the effects return of the Cornford '  and then in the last post it sounds like you're using the Cornford and just using the Helix mainly as an effects processor.

When running in to the FX return are you using poweramp/cab modelling? or just the Helix pre-amps?

Cheers for the responses, much appreciated

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23944
    So what do we all want for helix now? Wheres the next step? I think its pretty much there. The headphone out is even sounding great now and thats just with the stock cabs... well dual cabs but whatever. Haven't loaded any IR's yet after the update and I'm pretty pleased already.

I think auto was engage would be great, and save a button. I would also like better reverbs for no other reason than to just to shut everyone on the internet the hell up about it. Polyphonic tracking for harmoniser/synth stuff would be cool if its manageable.

After the update i even think the drive pedals sound a bit better... or maybe its just because the amps i use sound better, i haven't tried them into a real amp yet. 

so...

1. Auto-engage wah
    3. Polyphonic tracking
    5. A Cornford MK model cause I use one and Line 6 should pander to my every individual whim

Nah.

Bass drives. Darkglass types. And the synth needs sorting.

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah is still the daddy at the moment.
    I can't speak for John but I use the amp models (not the preamps) into either the fx return or a dedicated power amp No cab modelling although I do have a dual cab set up on a different path for the XLRs
    John_A said:

A bit confused (I'm easily confused) in the previous post you said 'it was just the Helix Cali Lead with a Minotaur in front and some of the new delay into the effects return of the Cornford '  and then in the last post it sounds like you're using the Cornford and just using the Helix mainly as an effects processor.

When running in to the FX return are you using poweramp/cab modelling? or just the Helix pre-amps?

Cheers for the responses, much appreciated

Yeah sorry, in the clip im going helix into Cornford effects return. Live I tend to use the Cornford proper.

And even when running in full 4cm in effect, when choosing a Helix amp model in place of your real amps preamp you are in fact just going into your amps effects return.

i can't really use the Cornford drive channel at home, even if the neighbours are out its just too bloody loud to get it anywhere near its sweet spot! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    So what do we all want for helix now? Wheres the next step? 
    Much the same as I've wanted for a while - mostly on the control side.

More flexibility in parameter control, so that it'd be easy to have the expression pedal turn the wah off at heel-down, and on as soon as the pedal is moved up a  bit. That was a doddle in the VG-88.

A set of internal LFOs that can be assigned to any parameter.
    An internal envelope generator that can be assigned to any parameter.

In terms of effect blocks I'd like some more basics. A notch filter (probably doable with the parametric EQ, I suppose), a more seamless barberpole rise/fall mode for the LFOs, particularly for the phaser. A model of the Alesis ModFX stuff - particularly the Philtre and the Bitrman, but also the vocoder.

And I'd really, really like a model of the Yamaha UD Stomp. I know it'd take lots of DSP and it'd be more complex to work with, but that unit was so enormously capable... and with the Line6/Yamaha link you'd think it'd work out nicely.

All that said I'm still not really pushing what can be done in terms of building sounds - partly because I keep getting distracted by playing guitar and cello through it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23944
    Sporky, have you recorded the cello through it?

I'd love to hear that!
    Nope - I use the looper a bit with cello, mostly recording an open string and pitching against that for scale practice. Not sure anything out of the cello is worth recording yet!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801

so...

1. Auto-engage wah
    3. Polyphonic tracking

To be honest, for me it's pretty much there.

Would love for some more reverse delay options like PS3 or Empress mode 7... 
    Wave LFO like the reflex and dd500 would be nice
    I'd also like to be able to apply a delay to a cab, like you can in Sgear's convolver.
    Pan law woul dalso be nice.

But if they left it as is, I wouldn't be crying. 2.0 was a damn good update.

Teetonetal said:

I was very slightly disappointed with my Helix when it arrived, but that was all fixed in the 1.4 firmware (I think). 2.0 seems ace - I don't know if I'll actually use snapshots, but I very much like that they're there.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Sporky said:
    Teetonetal said:

I was very slightly disappointed with my Helix when it arrived, but that was all fixed in the 1.4 firmware (I think). 2.0 seems ace - I don't know if I'll actually use snapshots, but I very much like that they're there.
    Same - Snapshots are making me think of using my helix live; at the moment It's just my practice and recording device so I don't need them, but I'm thinking how much easier life would be now with Helix in 4cm

It does make me wonder what else L6 have up their sleeve :)

I managed Thunderstruck last night at rehearsal using the looper to drop in the high riff
    it was a lot of stress but it's put it back in the set
    its one of the only ones where I needed the other guitarist
    ive now replaced him entirely with the Helix
    its just like him
    not too bright
    I have to step on it to get results
    i spend most of my time carrying it
    ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Teetonetal said: It does make me wonder what else L6 have up their sleeve :)
    LOTS. Helix is a long burn though; don't expect more nuttiness overnight.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg