Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

There's a difference. The squirelly bits are way less prominent. Just when you think they should take over and destroy your listening pleasure all of a sudden they're shelved and die off. 

L6 said there may have been "changes in the background", I refuse to believe I'm imagining it
    defined this "squirrly" sound please
    It was easiest to hear as a not decayed. Especially in medium gain setting. Some people called it cross over distortion but it was just a kind of unnatural fizz that accompanied the note. And if it was in the decay it was sure to mean it was there the whole time you were playing although buried.

A few suffered the problem less than other namely the Soldano model.

after v2 I find it difficult to hear in most of the amps. I'll not vouch for those amps that I wasn't familiar with before.

I had spent a lot of time messing around with the Plexi BRT. I don't care what anyone says, it's changed somehow. For the better.

the new amps that were added seem to be completely devoid of this "problem"
    FWIW I could hear the difference in the clips you posted (and I'm a cynical dick about this kind of stuff)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Cabicular said:

There's a difference. The squirelly bits are way less prominent. Just when you think they should take over and destroy your listening pleasure all of a sudden they're shelved and die off. 

L6 said there may have been "changes in the background", I refuse to believe I'm imagining it
    It was easiest to hear as a not decayed. Especially in medium gain setting. Some people called it cross over distortion but it was just a kind of unnatural fizz that accompanied the note. And if it was in the decay it was sure to mean it was there the whole time you were playing although buried.

after v2 I find it difficult to hear in most of the amps. I'll not vouch for those amps that I wasn't familiar with before.

I had spent a lot of time messing around with the Plexi BRT. I don't care what anyone says, it's changed somehow. For the better.

FWIW I could hear the difference in the clips you posted (and I'm a cynical dick about this kind of stuff)
    High five!
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Cabicular said:

I can certainly hear a difference across the board with 2.0. Gigged at the weekend with the Soldano clean and crunch and a peacekeeper and Hudson broadcast in the loops going into the fx return of an Egnater tweaker. Sounded fantastic (well, the tone did at least. I make no claims for the playing)

Not going to stop me trying an ax8 though. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It would be nice to get an option on the ax8 from someone that loves the Helix rather than a Fractal fanboy. Hope we've all made the right choice!
    Is anyone using the comps on the Helix particularly the red comp. it seems to make a nasty noise when engaging and with just the comp in to a clean amp increasing the output hardly seems to make a difference. Going for a typical dynacomp squish and can't seem to get there
    John_A said:
    It would be nice to get an option on the ax8 from someone that loves the Helix rather than a Fractal fanboy. Hope we've all made the right choice!

I think that anyone that made their mind up about Helix pre-V2 should all give it another go
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited July 2016

I could hear it when I tried a pre 2.0 helix on the Plexi model. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    The squirrily bit might be the ringing overtone that I couldn't dial out of my Helix, but as you say, the v2.0 software seems to have fixed this. I have no regrets selling my Helix, it was a good experiment and I'm glad I bought one, do I miss it ? No, not at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    The squirrily bit might be the ringing overtone that I couldn't dial out of my Helix, but as you say, the v2.0 software seems to have fixed this. I have no regrets selling my Helix, it was a good experiment and I'm glad I bought one, do I miss it ? No, not at all
    Coooooome baaaaaack sweepy, the waters nice and we have pina colada
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Lol, I'm actually having fun with my Tone King and pedals, maybe in the new year I might get another, who knows? I have 2 Strandbergs to fund first :)
    sweepy said:
    Lol, I'm actually having fun with my Tone King and pedals, maybe in the new year I might get another, who knows? I have 2 Strandbergs to fund first :)
    You're dead to me. I have no Sweepy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well. First gig with the Helix and it sounded great, definitely sounded better than my old rig and both my on stage though the Jet City and the main out to the PA really worked well.  I'm normally a bit lazy and play half the set with a crunchy Marshall, but it was so easy to swap patches between songs I used Plexi, jtm45 and a dual Rec patch and really enjoyed the variation.

the Red Comp is still bugging me though, I'm sure it's buggy
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited July 2016
    What's going on with Line 6's prices?!?! I was looking into possible powered speaker options again for my Helix and I see they've jacked up the price of the L2T stagesource speaker by about £300 in the last few weeks! No way i'm interested at £827!!!
    Also I see that Helix's now sell for more than £200 than I paid for mine in January. 
    Not just Line 6
    this is what happens when your currency goes down the shitter
    Cabicular said:
    Not just Line 6
    this is what happens when your currency goes down the shitter
    Yeah it's nothing to do with Line 6. It's just the exchange rate. We've had it good for a long time. Maybe this will encourage people to buy British 
    What is it they say?
    if you want to compete with people living in grass huts you have to live in one yourself ...
  • Cabicular said:
    What is it they say?
    if you want to compete with people living in grass huts you have to live in one yourself ...
    I'm from airdrie. Grass huts are a luxury 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    So gigged it last night. I had quickly set it up as a simple pedalboard. Compressor, Klon, Timmy, OCD, phaser, trem, delay and reverb. as I'm on holiday and was serving back for the gig just had my guitar and helix then the idea was to borrow my bass players pro junior. Easy. Get a call saying he forgot to bring the amp. Small restaurant gig so said no problem, I'll just go direct. 
    Get to the gig and quickly throw a mark 4 clean into the chain. No sound check, just a line check and off we go. Now while I wasn't 100% happy, I can say it was pretty astonishing. Everything sounded great, the mix was even and the bass player who does the sound was smiling the whole way through. after I have done some tweaking I do think this could be a unit I will use a lot. Probably for everything. It made me play differently too. I felt I could go for things I wouldn't normally go for. Only thing I wasn't happy with was the solo boost and my Timmons style high gain but some tweaking will sort that. I can see me having some fun with this.  

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

edited August 2016
    So gigged it last night. I had quickly set it up as a simple pedalboard. Compressor, Klon, Timmy, OCD, phaser, trem, delay and reverb. as I'm on holiday and was serving back for the gig just had my guitar and helix then the idea was to borrow my bass players pro junior. Easy. Get a call saying he forgot to bring the amp. Small restaurant gig so said no problem, I'll just go direct. 
    Get to the gig and quickly throw a mark 4 clean into the chain. No sound check, just a line check and off we go. Now while I wasn't 100% happy, I can say it was pretty astonishing. Everything sounded great, the mix was even and the bass player who does the sound was smiling the whole way through. after I have done some tweaking I do think this could be a unit I will use a lot. Probably for everything. It made me play differently too. I felt I could go for things I wouldn't normally go for. Only thing I wasn't happy with was the solo boost and my Timmons style high gain but some tweaking will sort that. I can see me having some fun with this.  
    Awesome had you updated to V2 beforehand?

edit: don't bother answering that I just worked out the answer for myself lol. Dumbass
    I find the best way to deal with boost is put a 0-+7db boost on the output block controlled by an exp (the wee plastic bespeco/line 6 ones are fine) or on the main treadle if you don't use it for wah
    whilst 7db sounds like a lot, it means it's there when you need it (but normally I'll go about half way for a solo) 
    it also means you can swell up wee individual runs and pull them back down without it being as abrupt as a switch 
    I really hate going back to single button boosts. It's either too loud or too quite and really difficult to get just right .