Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Also don't discount a modelled clean amp and pedals. In a lot of ways I actually prefer that to some of the driven amp models and it gives you tons of flexibility and DSL to play with 
    the SLO clean is particularly useful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    I find the best way to deal with boost is put a 0-+7db boost on the output block controlled by an exp (the wee plastic bespeco/line 6 ones are fine) or on the main treadle if you don't use it for wah
    whilst 7db sounds like a lot, it means it's there when you need it (but normally I'll go about half way for a solo) 
    it also means you can swell up wee individual runs and pull them back down without it being as abrupt as a switch 
    I really hate going back to single button boosts. It's either too loud or too quite and really difficult to get just right .
    Does FOH get that boost as well? Does the engineer not freak out at you at certain venues?
    Fuck the engineer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Seriously though as long as you know what you are doing they are fine
    i played the O2 in sauchiehall street last week and no worries
    if anything they are glad to go for a pint
    You can choose to only apply to your backline if you want
    but fuck it
  • Cabicular said:
    Fuck the engineer
    Words to live by right there!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Cabicular said:
    Also don't discount a modelled clean amp and pedals. In a lot of ways I actually prefer that to some of the driven amp models and it gives you tons of flexibility and DSL to play with 
    the SLO clean is particularly useful
    How does that compare to a clean valve amp with pedals ? To me that sounds like an odd approach to using a unit like this..but if it works for you hey ho.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27965
    Most of my patches have been a clean amp and pedals because that's how my mostly-analogue previous setup worked. I like the Matchless model for this, but I'm sure it works with others too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited August 2016
    I took that approach at first just to get me up and running as it's what I was used to, a pile of pedals in to a JTM45.  The Helix replicated this really well.  I had my old set-up and the helix with an AB box and it sounded almost identical but with much more flexibility.  Now I'm up and running I'm using the amps for drive tones more and more, gigged last night and used a plexi, JTM45 and the dual rec models.  Think it was a good approach to start with something familiar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited August 2016
    Got a really random gig on Thursday afternoon. To be honest, and I hope no one ever reads this from that gig, as I am grateful for the work, but if you could create a hell gig for me this would be it.

anywya, gonna be using the acoustic for the first time through helix. I use a Taylor 314ce and apparently there's some tasty IR's of that guitar floating around so I'll report back on how it goes
    Sporky said:
    Most of my patches have been a clean amp and pedals because that's how my mostly-analogue previous setup worked. I like the Matchless model for this, but I'm sure it works with others too.
    Exactly that for me
    im more used to a big headroom valve amp with drive pedals in front of it than I am with amp head distortion
    i learned my trade on a 70s 100 W Superlead Marshall and a real tube pedal for the drive
    the closest I can get using n no head set up is the BE100 but it is still fiddly and heavy compared to my Helix setup
    While there's certainly nothing wrong with this approach and it's exactly where I started (see last post) I would definitely recommend using more amps for drive sounds (and clean sounds), that to me is the beauty of the Helix, being able to add some variation to the sounds you are using.
    I did like the Plexi model with a Rat model into it. That was very rawk.

I use the Rat into Plexi for my main lead sound at the moment, TBH it's a bit too 'rawk' for what we do, but makes me smile :)  The Dual Rec is a surprising one for me, I'm using it a lot for low-medium gain stuff and it sounds fab, the Interstate Z sounds lovely too, just haven't got round to using it properly. 

• Does anyone else not hate changing cabs mid song? or even mid gig. It really freaks me out. It freaks me out in real life too when using dual amp setups.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Never done it mid song, but mid gig I'm more than comfortable swapping amps and cabs, in fact I think the flexibility to do such things is a big part of the attraction to the Helix.  I do monitor through the same cab though, maybe it sounds awful out front :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Does anyone else not hate changing cabs mid song? or even mid gig. It really freaks me out. It freaks me out in real life too when using dual amp setups.
    It's an abomination to the ears

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Does anyone else not hate changing cabs mid song? or even mid gig. It really freaks me out. It freaks me out in real life too when using dual amp setups.
    Yeah, it's like switching studio monitors when mixing. Your ears become accustomed to one pair, and when you switch over to the other pair—"Gah!" Then ten minutes later after your ears get used to the other pair, you switch back, and "Baaarrrf!"

Another reason why All Presets Suck©. People just quickly cycle through a bunch of 'em and don't let their ears settle in.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg

Just been browsing the Helix IdeaScale forum to see what people are asking for, there is so little there of any great importance.  'A clean Boost'  Is that not what a gain block does ;)  'Loads more high gain amps'  you could always use the tone controls on the ones that are there. 

If nothing significant comes up then Line 6 will say 'Job Done' and to be fair to them it's not far off.  What would anyone like to see?

Same thing as since the beginning - MIDI clock support (in and out), assignable internal LFOs (as in you can assign them to anything), assignable internal envelope generator, stops on expression control (so you can use the expression pedal as a switchless wah, coming on as soon as it moves off completely-heel-down position).