Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Mr. Igloo *is* the messiah. You liar!
    With all due respect, my wife disagrees.
    Is that coz you're a messy eater? :sweat_smile: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's arrived.....wish me luck........

UI makes it a piece of piss to program, already sorted 4 patches...with snapshots

One question - how do you guys set up 4CM from a Send/return block point of view - I'm currently using the end of path as Send1/2 (so effectively the top line is pre) and then assigning path 2 as Return 1/2 for post.
  • welshboyo said:
    It's arrived.....wish me luck........

UI makes it a piece of piss to program, already sorted 4 patches...with snapshots

One question - how do you guys set up 4CM from a Send/return block point of view - I'm currently using the end of path as Send1/2 (so effectively the top line is pre) and then assigning path 2 as Return 1/2 for post.
    Just use "Loop 1" or 2 or 3 or 4. It's just the send and return merged into one block which saves you space and keeps it neater

congrats on your happy new helix day!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    welshboyo said:
    It's arrived.....wish me luck........

Just use "Loop 1" or 2 or 3 or 4. It's just the send and return merged into one block which saves you space and keeps it neater

congrats on your happy new helix day!
    cheers @johnonguitar ;

Do you then just place pre and post effects both sides of this FX loop block?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    Indeed you do.

If you use separate send and return blocks you can put things in between, and thus have stuff in parallel with your amp's preamp, but for normal use you have your pre effects, then a loop block, then your post effects.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Indeed you do.

If you use separate send and return blocks you can put things in between, and thus have stuff in parallel with your amp's preamp, but for normal use you have your pre effects, then a loop block, then your post effects.
    aha, OK, so this is how I would place a preamp into the FX return then (if I used seperate Send/Return)?
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Mr. Igloo *is* the messiah. You liar!
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having a lot more fun with Helix now. Stopped fiddling with dials and just play more. Whatever happened in that update just works for me. The Cali Lead has great dynamics even at high gain. No ear fatigue whilst playing, just feels really good like it should. Ps. Sorry about the shorts and if you dont want to listen to my sloppy 8th note practice then ill understand but heres a vid anyway :P ps. dont mind the kids, its the school holidays!

right then @johnonguitar shorts aside.....what are those Dunnery style runs you are doing - got any tab or anything for that??

Sorry for the OT, I've just been trying for years to get that...
    welshboyo said:
    Sporky said:
    Indeed you do.

aha, OK, so this is how I would place a preamp into the FX return then (if I used seperate Send/Return)?
    I am not sure I fully understand the question.
  • Sporky said:
    welshboyo said:
    Sporky said:
    Indeed you do.

I am not sure I fully understand the question.
    Tis OK, the answer is Yes!!

Was trying to work out how I place a Preamp (so say a Deluxe or JTM45 preamp) into the poweramp of my amp and have it switchable  - I "think" I've worked it out....
    Ah!

So switching between your amp's own preamp and a Helix preamp? If so then yes - send block, then the Helix preamp, then return block, and use a footswitch to set the mix state of the send and/or return. You could even use the expression pedal and blend between the two.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    I have the S/R block followed by the Line 6 modded 2204 preamp going 4CM into my Marshall. Just set a snapshot that bypasses the S/R block, and engages the modeled Helix preamp.
    For straight switching betwixt the two that's more efficient - two blocks instead of three. Good thinking.
  • I was a little apprehensive before the Helix arrived as it seems t'internet wisdom says that Fractal is the better unit..

At the moment apart from the reverbs, I'm struggling to see a difference - OK, perhaps I've struck lucky but no Unity issues, no tone loss, this thing is amazing!!!!

And I'm only just scratching the surface...
  • I've had the FX8 as well
    they are both good units . To me it's just down to what you are comfortable working with
    let's be pragmatic, it's a competitive market, there are just different approaches to solving the same problem
    I personally think the Helix drives are better than the FX8s and the FX8 has nicer reverbs. But I find the Helix much easier and more flexible (I.e I can have 4 delays or 5 drives if I want)
    I also think the core Helix users on he FB are a very good advanced group of users so I learn a lot
  • Cabicular said:
    I've had the FX8 as well
    they are both good units . To me it's just down to what you are comfortable working with
    let's be pragmatic, it's a competitive market, there are just different approaches to solving the same problem
    I personally think the Helix drives are better than the FX8s and the FX8 has nicer reverbs. But I find the Helix much easier and more flexible (I.e I can have 4 delays or 5 drives if I want)
    I also think the core Helix users on he FB are a very good advanced group of users so I learn a lot
    I haven't got past the Minotaur yet....its that good, actually..I haven't even altered the settings on it either!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said: Was trying to work out how I place a Preamp (so say a Deluxe or JTM45 preamp) into the poweramp of my amp and have it switchable  - I "think" I've worked it out....
    There's a template for that—8 TEMPLATES > 02A 4-Cable Method (or 02B 7-Cable Method if you're using two amps). Press FS2 (HELIX PREAMP) to swap in Helix's Preamp block.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • welshboyo said:
    Having a lot more fun with Helix now. Stopped fiddling with dials and just play more. Whatever happened in that update just works for me. The Cali Lead has great dynamics even at high gain. No ear fatigue whilst playing, just feels really good like it should. Ps. Sorry about the shorts and if you dont want to listen to my sloppy 8th note practice then ill understand but heres a vid anyway :P ps. dont mind the kids, its the school holidays!

right then @johnonguitar shorts aside.....what are those Dunnery style runs you are doing - got any tab or anything for that??

Sorry for the OT, I've just been trying for years to get that...
    Ha! I thought I had deleted that video for being sloppy as fuck sounding! I swear there must be a delay or something in the backing track getting to the iPhone mic compared to the guitar. Should maybe have pointed both speakers forward.

anyway... Eh, nah no tabs. I'm the worlds worst for learning and retaining licks let alone solos. There was a good exercise we used to do at uni called "arpeggiator" or some nonsense. Basically we took static chords or progressions and played arpeggios up and down across them in 8th notes. Then it would be pent scales, blues scales, full 7 note scales and any other substitution you might fancy.

You do this up and down until you know the scale shapes like the back of your hand. Then you start putting patterns in. After that you start to change direction, up, down, up, up, UPPPP DOOOOOOOWN. Just kinda taking the dog for a walk on whatever road map you've made your brain remember.

after a bazillion hours you get good and literally just stumble on things. You might start adding in a few chromatics as well to make things gel better or target specific notes with them.

or so ive been told, I kinda bailed before I got to a bazzilion hours practice and decided a life of mediocrity (but with a social life and kids and stuff) was probably more what I was after lol

but yeah no tabs sorry dude
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    welshboyo said:
    Cabicular said:
    I've had the FX8 as well
    I haven't got past the Minotaur yet....its that good, actually..I haven't even altered the settings on it either!!!
    That's one of the things I've found with the Helix, I set up a quick basic gig patch, a Plexi and a few pedals and I've hardly touched anything else because it sounds so good, most new gizmos I end up playing with it for days on end, with the Helix I just play through it.  Must get round to a bit more tinkering.  
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Cabicular said:
    I've had the FX8 as well
    Agreed. I've got the AX8 and gone with it over the Helix as I prefer the Amp models and reverbs, but either unit is frankly bloody amazing. I also think that as the Helix modelling matures there will be little in it in terms of sounds and the Helix flexibility might be a key factor. 

On UI - if I had only used the Helix and then got the AX8 I might not have given the AX8 house room. As I went FX8 (and got used to the UI) then Helix then AX8 I didn't mind the AX8 UI at all, even though it's not a patch on the helix (not a huge fan of faffing with a computer editor).