Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The Helix Industrial fuzz is really making me want more fuzzes in my life! This is a travesty! I've never liked fuzz!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    The industrial fuzz is excellent. I don't much like "classic" fuzzes, but that sort of buzzsaw sound is excellent. You'd probably like the Zoom UltraFuzz and the Foxx Tone Machine too - proper paint-stripping sounds out of those.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    I'm a bit partial to that KWB fuzz - not a huge lover of fuzz myself (fnarr fnarr) even though I have tried over the years with Fuzzfaces etc etc.

I do like the Tychobrae thing though
    The KWB fuzz is amazing on bass guitar!
    Any other bass players out there using the Helix?
  • I'm seriously thinking of going for a Helix based on the fact that it all adds up for me. I want/need a unit that is great for using with either my Shiva in 4-cable method or Rambler straight in the front instead of my pedal board. Also for going direct to PA if I want to. Trying to get my head around the price especially with the recent hike to £1279. Like most of the guys on here, I expect, I've got a cupboard full of things I no longer use like JMP1, Yamaha DG Stomp etc which could take the sting out of it I suppose. No reason for putting up this post other than getting some perspective for myself by writing it all down. Well, I still can't think of a reason not to have one.....
  • If you have funds available why not try one for a couple of weeks during which you can return it if it's not for you. 
    Im very happy with mine. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The amount of stuff I've sold since getting the Helix has paid for it three times over, just do it :)
  • Thanks fellas, thank god for the Distance selling regulations, think I'll get one on order and put myself out of my misery!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    @firepaulmusic I'm using the Helix with a Shiva and they play very nicely together.

using @rossyamaha 's suggestion of running the preamp to a separate signal path and treating it with a cab/IR means I don't have to mic up anymore either and am essentially running a DI to front of house - sounds awesome!!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Finally took the plunge and have a QSC K10 FrFr speaker being delivered tomorrow...!

Will be interested to see and hear the difference using that compared to my valve amp.
    FarleyUK said:
    Finally took the plunge and have a QSC K10 FrFr speaker being delivered tomorrow...!

Will be interested to see and hear the difference using that compared to my valve amp.

.....and it's a bloody good thing I did, as my amp has just blown up :(
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

.....and it's a bloody good thing I did, as my amp has just blown up :(
    You are having all the luck at the moment mate
    FarleyUK said:

I normally use a Yamaha DXR-10 and last night just plugged in to the rehearsal room's Hot Rod Deluxe FX return, my usual FRFR approach sounded a lot better IMO
    It will do if you are setup and EQd for it
    i have a completely different set if EQ and no speaker emulation when I'm using the FX returns
    in rehearsal I'm using the fx return of a couple of Marshall heads
    oooooo its glorious 
  • Wouldn't it be nice if they could put out some of these monitors with a more "classic" design? I totally get where they coming from but maybe it's a niche to have them looking a bit closer to a guitar cabinet considering the proliferation of these all in one units? It would appeal to me at least :)
    ^  Yes, I have a different set of patches with an EQ block rather than a impulse response that I use.  Didn't sound bad at all, but my FRFR patches sound, IMO, better. 
    John_A said:
    ^  Yes, I have a different set of patches with an EQ block rather than a impulse response that I use.  Didn't sound bad at all, but my FRFR patches sound, IMO, better. 
    Interesting 
    I run the direct outs to the desk with cab emulation 
    I think I probably prefer the sound. It's more what you'd expect from FOH
    But I'm more used to the sound of traditional backline when I'm playing
    I used to find this before modelling when I played bigger venues. I was never a fan of monitoring the guitar through foldback. I'd rather wheel another stack on stage and get use the roar of the amp
    Its not how it sounds it just affects the way I play
    probably just my own deficiencies as a guitarist
    edited November 2016

For me the FRFR approach is better for reproducing quite different sounds I use one dirty Engl based patch for 90% of our set, but a super clean Twin for a few songs and a huge octave down fuzz for one, the fuzz which sounds huge through my Yamaha and the PA just farted through the HRD  

I guess if you playing through traditional backline it helps if the backline is appropriate to the sounds your using and the HRD certainly wasn't for anything but the clean Twin sound.

Totally agree about how you sound affecting the way you play, but for me the Yamaha can still give me the traditional amp feel on stage (pub floor) 

Just got Glen Deluane's patches - looking forward to running them out!

Also, as I'm brand-new to the FrFr world, I'm a bit concerned about different patches being different levels; what's the best way to get them all the same level? Output block gain? Amp channel? Amp master?