Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Fuzzdog said:
    I'm hoping the 'more to come' part to mean that this is their flagship, and cheaper versions will be available, hopefully with just the fancy interface and switched stripped out but with the sounds remaining intact.

Talking of which...that screen unnerves me. I'm not convinced that it'll stand up under bright lighting (especially if it's glossy), and it's a very large area to make singer's-boots-proof.
    That was my initial reaction too but then I thought about my iPhone screen. I've dropped it face down onto concrete christ knows how many times and it's still intact as well as being able to see it in full sun too. If it's anything like that then it's a winner. About time Line 6 got a look in with this stuff. Just goes to show what huge investment from Yamaha can do for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited June 2015
    I have to say...from what I've seen of the Fractal FX8 and this (and the fact that they're in roughly the same price bracket), I'd be tempted to go for this. It did really sound excellent in that video.

I can see Cliff going absolutely mental over this one. He might even be chucking a few chairs around ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I might check out the Fractal forum before it implodes.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    octatonic said:
    I might check out the Fractal forum before it implodes.
    They're just warming up...

Lots of reasonable people on there, but you can tell a few are limbering up for a fight ;)
    <space for hire>
    edited June 2015
    Actually, people seem relatively calm.... so far. ;)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534

The only worry is that the guitar on the video sounds quite shit.
    I only got the first minute or so on iPad speakers but I thought it sounded good. They've tried to pick on probably the hardest tone to replicate with modelling, vintage fuzzed out big stack and uni vibe type thing. Far harder than straight up high gain or pretty sounding clean + shimmer type thing that digital modellers do all day long.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    looks very smart, i would be interested to hear what those who work with this type of kit think of the feature set. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:

I only got the first minute or so on iPad speakers but I thought it sounded good. They've tried to pick on probably the hardest tone to replicate with modelling, vintage fuzzed out big stack and uni vibe type thing. Far harder than straight up high gain or pretty sounding clean + shimmer type thing that digital modellers do all day long.
    Yeah it might just be that I don't really dig univibe sounds.
    edited June 2015
    ROOG said:
    looks very smart, i would be interested to hear what those who work with this type of kit think of the feature set. 
    It looks good- whether it will be good enough to topple the AFX remains to be seen.

I doubt they be able to keep up with Fractal's update schedule, but in some ways that might be a positive.
    Getting a stable AFX build means actively saying 'NO' to the weekly Fractal update merry-go-round.

It has to sound great and up until now Line 6 haven't really been in the same league.

I'm curious as to how well the looper works.
  • dindude said:

I thought that was a brave move, but you're right. The digital distortion stuff may not be as responsive as a great fuzz face but if its tonally good and 90 percent there...
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    octatonic;666689" said:
    ROOG said:

It looks good- whether it will be good enough to topple the AFX remains to be seen.

I doubt they be able to keep up with Fractal's update schedule, but in some ways that might be a positive.Getting a stable AFX build means actively saying 'NO' to the weekly Fractal update merry-go-round.

It has to sound great and up until now Line 6 haven't really been in the same league.

The looper on the m series is awesome so hopefully exactly the same.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Added very swiftly to the 'I need' list. If it sounds as good as it looks!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hugbot said:

The looper on the m series is awesome so hopefully exactly the same.
    Have you used the looper in the AFX?

It is insanely beautiful as a sound design tool.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

looks ace, can't wait to buy the Zoom version for £179 later in the year!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited June 2015
    As an Axe FX owner I honestly hope this is good. The more competition the better. I would say the toughest thing to get right is the 'balls' when going through a SS power amp and cab. Axe FX low frequency resonance modelling gets so much closer than the HD500x could, and I like the tones I get but recognise it took a bit of work to learn it. I wonder how they're dealing with that here.
    tFB Trader
    This page has some useful information on it. 

They are calling it the HX engine which suggests it is an advance on the HD technology.

tFB Trader
    The thing with the AxeFX for me isn't about the sound it's that using it feels like work not play.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    The thing with the AxeFX for me isn't about the sound it's that using it feels like work not play.

I got the invite email to purchase an axe8 I looked at it and went to the basket..... They added $20000 for shipping to prevent me from shipping it to the UK... Why send me the bloody email,to purchase it if I can't buy it... The Helix looks incredible though.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Very very very interesting
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited June 2015
    Whatever the in and outs of this, it is a stunning and ground breaking looking design. The option to customise labels and colour code the unit is incredible. Our learning styles and ability can be vastly improved and increased by using colours...

The presentation, just watched on my iPad, is also ground breaking. Stunning all round, BUT will this translate to £1400 ??? Wowzer, thats a LOT of corn...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom