Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    This is an interesting comparison in size that I did too:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Anyone using pedals along with the Helix? I want to use a dedicated tuner pedal, an expression pedal, and possibly an additional reverb pedal... but I cannot afford the weight and portability hassle of wedging it all down to a single board. I travel on the tube with this setup, so I need to be able to keep the Helix and any extra separated.

Any thoughts? A smaller dedicated board that I leave at the practice room perhaps?
    Why a separate tuner?  The Helix expression pedal can effectively be used as 2 pedals, and you just press toe down to flip between exp 1 and 2, or you can control multiple things with one exp pedal.  The reverb would need to do somthing special to be required.

Ive decided not to use anything in the loops for regular gigs and don't miss anything, I'd say try and do without them all
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    edited April 2017
    I've been deliberately putting off putting my Muffroom Cloud in a loop to see if I can enjoy life without it. I may cave soon. 

I used to get a Wah pedal in my guitar gigbag pocket - so exp in there and a pedaltrain Nano might be luggable? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I was doing this for a while

https://flic.kr/p/SpKx9f

John_A said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Anyone using pedals along with the Helix? I want to use a dedicated tuner pedal, an expression pedal, and possibly an additional reverb pedal... but I cannot afford the weight and portability hassle of wedging it all down to a single board. I travel on the tube with this setup, so I need to be able to keep the Helix and any extra separated.

Any thoughts? A smaller dedicated board that I leave at the practice room perhaps?
    Why a separate tuner?  The Helix expression pedal can effectively be used as 2 pedals, and you just press toe down to flip between exp 1 and 2, or you can control multiple things with one exp pedal.  The reverb would need to do somthing special to be required.

Ive decided not to use anything in the loops for regular gigs and don't miss anything, I'd say try and do without them all
    I prefer the Polytune if I'm honest, and it also doubles on my current board as a killswitch. Quite handy.

I'm already allowing for the expression pedal double-age ... volume pedal and wah pedal. But I need something I can control parameters with as well.

Reverb-wise.. thinking of picking up another Big Sky for the huge ambient washes it can give.
    You see this is the temptation I'm trying to avoid
    id love to be able to get down to just the Helix but I need a way and since I also use the exp for volume boost I can't dual purpose them (unless I'm missing a trick)
    Then I have to put my wireless on and a humdinger in case I use two amps and before long I have a pedal board again
  • guitarpologuitarpolo Frets: 120
    I use my exp for both volume boost and wah, although the only way I've found to do it without having the boosted level on the wah is to have the low volume setting at toe and and boost at the heel. It's backwards, but easy to get used to. There may well be a better way though.
    A 'trick' would be nice, I use mine as a delay level control, so couldn't switch on a Wah without it being a wash of delay.  My solution, ditch the Wah:). If you put two levels of boost on 2 stomps, is 8 pedals not enough?  
    John_A said:
    A 'trick' would be nice, I use mine as a delay level control, so couldn't switch on a Wah without it being a wash of delay.  My solution, ditch the Wah:). If you put two levels of boost on 2 stomps, is 8 pedals not enough?  
    No I'm afraid not (and I use 10 :) ) plus I'm very used to having a sweepable boost rather than a switch
    There was some sort of positional sensor on the update
    I was wondering if I could use that or a stomp to control the exp state ..
    Helix doing some cool clean tones and some nuts delay oscillation craziness:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/213lj38bkbin0uv/Shake The Creeper_Vox.mp3?dl=0

(New TNBD song idea!)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I meant 8 left over, I use 10 too :). I'm sure there will be a way of doing it sooner or later, but for now it looks like you're stuck with carting a second pedal around or compromising.  I'd go compromise every the, I love just having the Helix and nothing else, well except the wireless which I just sit on the desk and run a cable back to the helix 
  • Cabicular said:
    id love to be able to get down to just the Helix but I need a way and since I also use the exp for volume boost I can't dual purpose them (unless I'm missing a trick)
    Then I have to put my wireless on and a humdinger in case I use two amps and before long I have a pedal board again
    Have a switch merge the wah and volume blocks. One is on when the others off?
  • vaticancameosvaticancameos Frets: 186
    edited April 2017
    So broad question I know but - 

I'm insanely stuck between Kemper or Helix. My main reason being, I only play at home, most likely only through headphones as well...

I've always been more into FX creativity than into amps, I usually just find an amp that sounds nice clean and dump pedals in front of it but, seeing as I only play at home now, I dont want a huge board and an amp.

Someone talk me into a Helix, I know i'll like it more because of the focus on FX and amps, as opposed to just amps really in the Kemper

*DILEMMA*

EDIT - This is fucking sick!
    Drew_TNBD said:

(New TNBD song idea!)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24186
    I have discovered that different headphones make a huge difference.

The sooner I can raise money for a good FRFR cab the better!
    Cabicular said:
    Have a switch merge the wah and volume blocks. One is on when the others off?
    That might work I'd need to reconfigure all my patches unfortunately. I use the volume on the out out block rather than a volume pedal
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited April 2017
    @vaticancameos - I can't speak for the Kemper as I've never really used one properly, but if you are an fx guy, playing at home, then the helix is a dream - the FX selection covers most of the usual bases, the delays are excellent - you have 4 loops to insert your favourite pedals (2 on the LT) and it's a recording interface so hooking up to a laptop or PC means instant recording studio. 

The UI is so simple, creating complex routing is easy - dual amps, wet / dry, parallel mixing etc, all a doodle. 

The single best guitar purchase I've ever made. Took some convincing to jump into helix, the instore demo was pants. I managed to persuade the shop to let me demo it for 30 days, pretty quickly realised it was the unit for me.

Plus L6 have been regularly updating it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have discovered that different headphones make a huge difference.

The sooner I can raise money for a good FRFR cab the better!

Which headphones are giving you good results?
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Drew_TNBD said:

(New TNBD song idea!)

Thats very nice.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Ok, so following my earlier question I experimented a bit tonight.

Helix -> EICH T1000 FX Return/Line In -> Barefaced Compact 15" Cab

Changed the preamp models to amp models, tweaked the settings. 

First one I changed was the SVT model. Played one bass note. Two cupboards opened in the kitchen. One picture fell off a wall. A guitar hanging on a wall mount broke a string. One of the dogs shit themselves. 

It appears the bass amp models are a touch louder and have quite a bit more heft compared to the preamp ones.

I have also learned that 1000w in a small room is not sensible. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    So hot it defrosted the bussell sprouts