So, who's got some views on the course?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
I've sent out a few links to the bargain-priced offer now, so some of you must have signed-up, taken a look at some of the lessons (at least) and got some views about it.

Care to share ...

... because I know that there are others who are interested in the course, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

[admin edit]
Doing some forum tidy-up, so here's a couple of links to related threads.

The basic tools list  -  what you'll need for the course
The original announcement  -  what you get, and what you'll pay
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Having signed up to the Build course this morning I'm now halfway through the Design course which comes free with it.  So far it all makes sense.  I find Mark's gentle delivery style very refreshing after years of American videos.  He is very likeable, which makes the material easy to follow.  Like all good courses it's a mixture of things you know, things you don't, and things you ought to have known but didn't realise.  Above all it gives confidence that you can actually do the job.

My time will be a bit limited after tomorrow, so I don't expect to finish the Build course for a couple of week.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    I have dipped into both courses - so many things I had forgotten from the BYOG week in Scotland (and the design video is all new to me), lots of little tips that make the jobs easier. Simple instruction in how to make the jigs, the best order in which to do the various jobs and an easy to watch series of videos - thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I have made a couple (well 5 actually) of instruments since spending 4 days in Ayr last November.  They all have some differences from the guitar I made there but use a lot of techniques I learned from Mark and that are shown in the videos.  I will set up a thread and post some pictures with comments about what went right and what went wrong (and how the videos could have helped me avoid some of the pitfalls.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited June 2015
    I've been working my way though the videos for a few days and still have a few to watch. Like @TTony mentioned in one of the other threads im a complete beginner who has difficulty sawing in a straight line most of the time ;)

From a total noobs perspective the videos are easy to watch thanks to Marks easy going manner, I can understand everything he's saying and the video quality is excellent. The camera angles are very well thought out.

The only parts I've been able to put into practice so far have been the setup videos but the little tips he includes while demonstrating what he's talking about that make this so much easier to understand than a lot of the books I've read.

The course is imho a complete bargain and if you're thinking about doing any building now or in the future you'd be crazy not to sign up at the current price. I can't afford the £2k+ for a residential course but the videos have made me want to do one even more now.

@JohnB yes please to the pics of your ow builds I'd like to see those.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I've only really watched the Design your own Guitar videos so far but and it all makes great sense. Marks presentation style is pretty straight forward which very refreshing after watching some some American fronted courses.

Mark's comment of breaking down 1 huge task into 50 or 60 small tasks that anyone can do seems spot on. I'm going to wacth through most if not all of the BYOG videos before doing any thing so I have some idea of what I'm doing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I am VERY tempted, but, amazing though the price is my GAS fund is never likely to grow again so I'm unreasonably precious about it. Still got 2 days to think about it!
  • Mark_BaileyMark_Bailey Frets: 6
    edited June 2015
    Hi Axisus - I know what that feels like! The coupon is valid until midnight on 27th June so you have a bit longer to save your pennies. Remember - this is a one off payment for LIFETIME access to all the course materials.- this is a special deal ONLY for FretBoard'ers and will never be available cheaper anywhere else... even if you are not quite ready it is worth signing up now. 
    Anyone can make guitars...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    edited June 2015
    If you think about the price of a pro fret dress and setup, it doesn't take long to get the cost back. I did a fret job and set up on my well worn Strat using the techniques taught by Mark and although I wasn't brave enough to take every bit of wear off, it plays better than new now - the fret dress and set up section in the videos is very good.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Just signed up! 

Seemed good timing as my first guitar build (started 5 months ago but put on hold) got kicked into action again (somewhat slowly!) about 2 weeks ago. It's gonna take a long time as I have no work space at home. It'll probably take me an age to get through all the video's as well. Can't wait!
  • gfsgfs Frets: 10
    having done and finshed the design course by mark, i could not wait to start the build course.
    Mark is a lovely chap and really passionate about what he does. He explains things in simple terms.
    so much too learn from mark on both courses. If you are in doubt about signing up for the course all i can say is you are missing out. do it now !
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Joined the "club" this evening, though I need to E-mail the Bailey Emporium to find out when I can go back, as I'm near finishing my Acoustic Build.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Just signed up, so looking forward to learning!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Which course? What's the par? Championship tees?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Gassage said:
    Which course? What's the par? Championship tees?

Tiger Woods. Yellow tees...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    How's it going y'all?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Spent an hour I think watching the design course and really enjoyed it. Interesting (for me) to start the drawing from the nut, never knew that. Reality for me is that I probably have no space to actually do this, so may just all be info tp use at a later date but the material and Mark are both fantastic.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Finished Design, and halfway through Build. Surprised that it's taken so long, but there's a lot to digest, and I keep branching off to learn about related topics. Spent a lot of time looking at machinery.  Currently researching veneers. 

Mark knows what he's talking about, and explains it well.  Definitely good value.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • i signed up for this earlier in the yr, very good course, have only skipped thru it but marks a great teacher, so anybody doing it will have no problem.
    i made a guitar with mark and carol back in late 90's and it was an awesome time and still keep in touch now an again, keep meaning to pop up and see them, but always forget!
    anyway if your into building your own guitar then u cant go far wrong than anything they tell u!

keep on keepin on!
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk