Best Guitar Book

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
Had this book gathering dust for a year and now I'm on holiday I find it to be an almost complete work for beginner or advanced guitarist. A tad outdated or not, it's a joy to read and the theory section is solid.

The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer.
Hands down best guitar book.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822

It's more of a reference book than a teach-yourself-guitar book, but it is very good and covers a lot of ground.

That's one thing you lose with the internet, key information properly edited and gathered together in one place.  Now everything is scattershot!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    I still have my 80's copy of The Guitar Handbook, I learnt loads from it.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I reckon if you read it cover to cover it could be largely the only guitar education you need
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited June 2015
    I lent my copy to a mate years ago, not seen it since. :(
    We are all Chameleons...
    Buy another, well worth it!
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Another guitar handbook fan, i got it for a birthday about 30 yrs ago. I didn't know about triads, flat sevenths and stuff like that before said book. It's a poor 2nd to youtube though . Kids of today really have it all, good cheap gear & free tuition !
    Yeah but there's TOO much info these days. At least it's condensed in the book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My dad got it for Xmas years ago and it never left my bedside! That picture at the back with the boogie etc.... Man, I spent many many nights perousing that one.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    Lol... :)
    Yeah but there's TOO much info these days. At least it's condensed in the book.
    Yeah, I look at tuition vids on YouTube occasionally but there are too many, pitched at all different levels, some good, some awful. It's overwhelming.

If I was starting to play again (...and I often do consider going right back to basics and starting from scratch) I'd have no more idea how to approach it and where to begin than I did 35 years ago.

My dad got it for Xmas years ago and it never left my bedside! That picture at the back with the boogie etc.... Man, I spent many many nights perousing that one.....
    And Andy Summers with his Hamer Sunburst.  I had (almost) the same guitar so it was always nice to see it in the book.

Even though it was printed years ago, I really enjoyed the section on stagecraft and on the artists. 
    Sorry @Philly_Q - you basically said the same thing as me (condensed material) in your original reply!

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I have a copy from 1989.

Excellent book indeed if  a bit dry.

Unfortunately  I find myself falling off to sleep when I get to the theory parts.
    :-S

• MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Well there was a cheap one on Ebay just now so I've bought it as some reading material for the holidays this summer. 
    Exactly what I did when in Greece - almost read the whole thing in a week (but lots to work on after having read it)
    edited June 2015

It is certainly a bit dry, not a "holiday read" IMO - unless you're the sort of person who actually enjoys reading textbooks and manuals. It's more of a reference book to dip into.

But it's all so nicely presented - colour coded pages for the different sections, good layout, really nice chord charts at the back...

I dunno... the artist section was good, as was the tech section at the back. The theory section is highly relevant and if you're on holiday you can just do "fretboard memory" practice :)
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

I have the self same, often dive into it - excellent book

All the theory stuff was written by Isaac Guillory (so he told me, a long time ago) and as his name is on the IFC I have no reason to doubt it ;)

Best left hand in a guitar player period.. :)

https://youtu.be/E2lyu0s-DbI 

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Picked one up off eBay the other day, I like how it covers things like the construction etc rather than just flat out theory. Well worth the £8
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

That was a great vid!
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Had this book gathering dust for a year and now I'm on holiday I find it to be an almost complete work for beginner or advanced guitarist. A tad outdated or not, it's a joy to read and the theory section is solid.

The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer.
    Hands down best guitar book.
    In a lot of guitarist's opinions, the greatest ever guitar book is the advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick:

There's even a YouTube video (I've not watched it)

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom