Picks - A revelation!

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

Since I started playing (too many years ago!), I've always stuck with the Yellow Dunlop Tortex picks (.73mm I think). Lately, I've been trying to knuckle down to some regular scale practise with a metronome, trying to improve my speed and technique. For shits and giggles, thought I'd try a different pick - a red Dunlop Jazz III to be exact. Bloody hell - why didn't I try this sooner! It feels so much easier to play - like it' s almost cheating!

The Jazz III just seems so much more nimble, it slips over the strings much easier and just seems so much more precise. Literally, after a few scale runs, I switched back to the Yellow Tortex and it just felt really cumbersome and "sticky" across the strings in comparison.

I'm not sure how the Jazz III will fare for strumming rhythm parts but for picking individual notes, I really like it.

Consequently, I've just ordered about 10 different picks in different materials/ sizes/ shapes and gauges to see if I can find the perfect "all-rounder"

I'm amazed that something as small and cheap as a pick can make such a difference.

Any favourite picks amongst the forum?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited June 2015
    It might be worth trying the Dunlop T3.  They're the Tortex picks with the tip of the Jazz 3.  I've been using them a lot recently.

I do like Jazz III's but they mess with my technique when switching to play acoustic guitar, strumming etc, when going to normal sized picks so I don't use them at all.

I have most of the T3 line and most of the Max Grip nylon line, and I pick thickness according to what I'm playing.  I've tried a lot of picks and that is what works for me.  I prefer picks with a little give in them for the most part these days but used to prefer thicker.  Recently I mostly use the .73/.88 Max Grip nylon or .60/.73 T3.  Depends on the tone I want and if I'm wanting more flex or stiffness.

On acoustic I usually go thinner, .60 Max Grip is a favourite unless I'm doing a lot of picking in which case I might go thicker.

For bass I seem to be getting on with the .73 T3 a lot.

Sometimes really thick picks can give a more solid, less bright sound.  The 1.5mm nylon actually sounds quite cool sometimes and very different to a thinner pick.  The difference between picking some notes with a .60 nylon and 1.5 nylon is huge, doesn't even sound like the same guitar any more.

Definitely worth experimenting with picks!  For a while every time I ordered some new strings I'd get a few picks added in to the order to try some different stuff.  These days I'm more settled and just sticking wit T3 and Max Grip Nylon, it covers all the ground I need.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    My revelation was to ditch picks entirely. I have lost a bit of speed and accuracy but gained a lot in feel and enjoyment.I can strum, fingerpick, alt pick, do tapping, get a soft note with the underside of a finger, and not worry about my plec pinging off when strumming (always an issue for me!)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I change picks a lot but have been using a Dunlop Jazz III black XL pick for the last few weeks and it has worn down quite nicely and feels good to play with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Lots of people like the Dunlop Jazz-III. I use one for electric bass.

I think the most useful general purpose guitar pick is the Dunlop 0.55mm rigid stainless. Although I have been using TeckPick or IcePix solid brass ones recently for a slightly more mellow tone.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I've recently discovered ebony picks...

adoring the tone and feel... not adoring the grip [I need to think about that a bit].. and so far I have no idea what the durability is like

play every note as if it were your first
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @bingefeller gave me 3 suggested picks to try, including the Clayton Acetal 1.2, and I moved to the 1.9 that's now my firm favourite.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I used Jazz III's and H3's for about 10 years then went to these:

Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5mm.
    They are absolutely perfect.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    edited June 2015
    Chalky said:
    @bingefeller gave me 3 suggested picks to try, including the Clayton Acetal 1.2, and I moved to the 1.9 that's now my firm favourite.

'Pics' or it didn't happen :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Tried the red Jazz IIIs, but didn't like the lack of attack of the nylon. Tried the 1.0mm tortex Jazz III, and it was a bit too thick for strumming, so now I'm on these:

Still like the size and shape of the Jazz III over the regular tortex though.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Clarky said:

adoring the tone and feel... not adoring the grip [I need to think about that a bit].. and so far I have no idea what the durability is like

Would that be the Timber Tones ones? I've been using them for a few years and I've taken to drilling a series of 'dimples' into the face for exra grip. I've also noticed that the latest batch that I bought are now polished to a shine whereas previously they'd been left a bit more natural.

They do wear down but I've found it pretty easy to re-profile the tip with a small file and so extend their lifespan.

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I play the large Jazz 111 with the roughty tuffty finish which don't slip around 

that was after trying lots of other ones.  I found the small ones just a little too small for my fat mitts.  They worked well for my son though who had a habit of having too much plectrum showing, and the tiny jazz picks sorted that out!

I have no probs doing funk stuff with them either - just practice, but I think some masters of da funk switch to thinner pics 
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Rhino horn picks for me.  Unfortunately getting harder to source, but nothing else has that mojo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I went on a perfect pick hunt a couple of years back. I tried a ton of the jim Dunlop picks, gravity picks, v-picks, brossard picks, dava picks, a variety of Claytons and some other miscellaneous ones I can't remember.

I finally settled on the jim Dunlop 208 jazz tones for combination rhythm and lead duties. I know some people think they're too hard for strumming but I think the key is in the pressure exerted on the pick. It's similar to a jazz3 in terms of having no give but while it has a quite a pointed end for precise picking, it is slightly rounded and this makes it a lot more versatile, making it a decent strumming pick (something the jazz3 is pretty nasty at).

Unfortunately the pick can't be bought in stores because stores don't normally stock them. I'm sure they'd be way more popular if they were easily available for trying out. They're the same price as other JD standard picks £0.50, so great value (I settled on some primetones for a while but the cost was too expensive for me to continue using them). They are extra hardy to wear because of the material they are made from.

I'd recommend anyone buying stuff from strings direct to pop a few in their basket to try them out.
  • I'm liking Dunlop The Wedge 0.88 or 1mm at the moment.
    I find pointy picks great for faster alternate picking stuff, but I prefer rounder tips (not mega round, just like regular dunlop kind of round) for sweeping/economy picking which I do mostly.
    The Wedge is sort of in between pointyness :)
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    I never really got into the whole pic thing. I found one I liked which turned out to be an Ibanez, bought an absolute ton of them and used them for years. Then a buddy at Dunlop gave me a few of the new Ultex to try. My word they are good! Got the Jazz III one to but never got on with that shape or size. 73mm for acoustic strummy stuff and then up to a 1mm when I want to shred it up and impress the girls (but end up simply impressing absolutely no one).

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I used the Tortex (.88, 1.0 or 1.14mm) for years. Until I realised they were "sticking*" to the strings. I tried a bunch of different picks (Jazz3, Big Stubby etc). I settled on a 1.0mm Tortex sharp.

Now all I have to worry about is a poor picking technique (which I'm working on) and not being hindered by my pick.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:

Would that be the Timber Tones ones? I've been using them for a few years and I've taken to drilling a series of 'dimples' into the face for exra grip. I've also noticed that the latest batch that I bought are now polished to a shine whereas previously they'd been left a bit more natural.

They do wear down but I've found it pretty easy to re-profile the tip with a small file and so extend their lifespan.

great idea…. time to grab my drill..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Ultex Sharp 2.0 here.

http://www.guitarplectrums.co.uk/images/medium/dunlop-ultex-sharp-2.0mm_m.jpg

Used Jazz III red pointies for years but found I needed something bigger when I started playing in a band again.

I mix it up a lot with picks when practising and haven't found anything that works better overall.

Red Bear and Blue Chip intrigue me, but the cost is frankly prohibitive. I'd like to believe that they don't wear, but it seems very unlikely with all the fast-picked stuff I do on the wound strings.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    I like the Dunlop Max Grip.  I like the fact they seem to stick in between my finger and thumb and rarely move.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Maynehead said:
    Tried the red Jazz IIIs, but didn't like the lack of attack of the nylon.

These have a lot more attack than the nylon.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/plectrums-c50/jim-dunlop-jim-dunlop-max-grip-jazz-iii-carbon-fiber-guitar-picks-6-pack-p4596

They are very stiff though and may take a bit of getting used to.