I'm struggling writing solos

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
I can noodle around endlessly to backing tracks using mostly the blues scale. It's pretty mediocre stuff, but I enjoy it and sometimes the improv throws out something that I really like and surprise myself with. However, I'm trying to sort out a couple of solo breaks for tracks that I'm recording at the moment, and all my attempted improv is totally turgid and horrible, there's just nothing going on at all.

Anyone got any tips on writing solos or breaking out of your box a bit on the improv? 

Note: I have no grasp of theory and do not play technically impressive stuff!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26962
    Put guitar down. 

hum along, following melody from the rest of the thing, then improvise with your own voice on the solo bit. 

Then see what works and play it on guitar :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17602
    tFB Trader
    If you find out let me know. 

I have far more solos in my band than I have ideas.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Just play all the notes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

Random thoughts:

1) Repeat phrases

2) Echo the song melody somewhat

3) Play wrong notes on purpose / ignore the scale sometimes and go daft

4) Start gentle and build to a crescendo

5) Sing what you are playing

6) think about the phrasing and gaps as well as the notes. No need to put a note in every slot

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Sticky has it bang on. Sometimes you can just let your fingers do the talking and find a part quite naturally, sometimes you can't and you need to figure out what the melody the guitar part you play should be. I once wrote a difficult solo by coming up with a vocal part, words and everything, then playing that melody on guitar.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    It sounds as though you need a to inspire yourself to do something different. Walking away and giving it a break is an undervalued method, it lets your subconscious mind work on the problem. You could also try a different technique, like tapping or chord arpeggios or harmonics, or a rhythmic pulsing of the same note, or using an area of the fretboard that you don't normally visit during a solo. The purpose is not to write a complete solo using a different technique, but to inspire yourself with a different sound which may, or may not, end up in the solo.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    ^^^ Yes, now I think about it I have thought of a lot of melodies/solos whilst in the bathroom at band practice! Think of what you want it to sound like, then try to play that.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Of course, the other option if you arent happy with your ideas is to have no solo. 
  • Mark_25Mark_25 Frets: 20
    I'm in the same boat as you - I have no theoretical knowledge barely know two scales and don't play technically impressive stuff.

Because I have no theoretical knowledge I can't explain exactly the way I write solos :D

Basically I start as simple as possible - I usually loop the chords and then play around with finding notes that gives me an emotional reaction to each chord. I'll then come up with a phrase that embellishes the emotional response to the chord/s. I'll then build upon this and almost join the dots. You can then get more complicated and keep building. I also like the use of repeat phrasing as when the chord changes the phrasing takes on a new dimension.

You can probably tell from that I prefer to write melodic solos more so than anything else. I guess I'm hoping that the same reaction I get is one that the listeners will get. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Put guitar down. 

hum along, following melody from the rest of the thing, then improvise with your own voice on the solo bit. 

Then see what works and play it on guitar :)
    A great idea
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Use more wah
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Just try and forget about scales and play around with the notes of the chord shapes and let your ear guide  you.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Absolutely don't have the guitar in your hands when you compose the solo, otherwise it will be finger-led not heart-led.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Put a loop on and sing or hum solos. If you find a bit you like, save it and then join all the good bits together as a solo.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Maybe the song doesn't really need a solo.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    GuyBoden said:
    Maybe the song doesn't really need a solo.
    er ..... like when has that EVER been a factor. Doh.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26571
    My approach boils down to breaking up the massive unknown of "SOLO HERE" into smaller, easily solvable problems:

- Record the track without the solo (but with everything else) - doesn't matter if it's just a mic in a room while the band plays
    - Listen to what's directly before the solo - do you want to start the run up underneath the vocals to build a bit before you get started, start straight away or leave some space before the first note?
    - Listen to what comes directly after the solo, and decide what note you want to land on to finish, as well as how you want to present it to the listener - do you want to come down to it or build up to it, for example?
    - Listen to the solo section itself, and split it into sections like "fast", "slow", "crescendo", "huge" etc

You now have the start note, the end note, how you want to hit the end note, and a load of manageable chunks in between which need filling in one at a time.

Easy :)
    <space for hire>
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Take a look at these, explore some of the ideas maybe, and let your ears guide you.

Papa Stache - How To Construct A Melodic Solo

Duration 15:28

Andy Timmons Guitar Lesson - #3 Tension & Release - Electric Expression

Duration 9:51

Andy Timmons Guitar Lesson - #17 Phrasing - Electric Expression

Duration 11:13

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited June 2015
    • Take the 'less is more' approach and use plenty of breaks in your playing so you have time to figure out what come next. Breaks, or pauses can come in the form of bending notes or applying vibrato. 
    • If you usually use the bridge pup for solos, try switching to the neck pup as this can inspire a different approach to your lead playing. 
    • Use a wacky fx pedal

• ChéChé Frets: 304
    It's interesting listening ot Andy Timmons video. I do a lot of that stuff subconciously while playing.

A lot of my solos are improv at rehersal that we record and I re-learn afterwards. Most of the time I'll improv a bit and hear where I want to go next and sit and work it out. Depends what the song needs. Listen to "Money" by Pink Floyd and hear how the solo reacts or even leads the band, the release on the high bend is sublime.