What is the point of old-man blues?

What's Hot
chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
edited June 2015 in Music
It's just a load of blokes mumbling cliche lyrics over the same few chords and licks over and over again.

It's not even music.

</tounge in cheek>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Helps to sell new overpriced Gibsons/PRS Gamekeepers Choice Private Collection guitars
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Babysitting for the middle aged.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Helps to sell new overpriced Gibsons/PRS Gamekeepers Choice Private Collection guitars
    Don't forget brand new Fenders that are meant to look like they've been gigged in smoky bars for decades by real blues players.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Slicked back hair.  Rugs on stage.  Two Rock amps.  Lame suits.  Amp baffles.  TGP.  Lawyers.  Dentists.  Toyota Prius'.  Sunglasses on stage.  SRV.  John Mayer.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    For JoBo it means 59s and Dumbles in the collection.

For Guitarist it means a readership.

For most guitar players it's just an excuse to only learn the minor pentatonic scale.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    CHRISB50 said:
    For most guitar players it's just an excuse to only learn the minor pentatonic scale.
    Despite paying a good deal of lip service to it, the minor pentatonic is just about the only thing the likes of Mayer/Bonamassa have in common with Old Man Blues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Beats the chug chug chug , shout , scream, chug chug, scream, scream, widdly, widdly solo, chug chug ... tuneless metal played by speed freaks with as much musicality as a deaf penguin ... just sayin' .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Harrumph harrumph
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    edited June 2015
    Harrumph harrumph
    Give the Governor a Harrumph!

And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

</tounge in cheek>
    tounge?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited June 2015

It's a tongue twister mate.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Old man Blues is my pension plan.  When I can no longer run around on stage I'm gonna get myself a fat semi-acoustic, play slowly, and sing about Blues-bollocks, and sip my pint of whisky (which will actually be cold tea).  I will hope for impressionable younger (but legal, obvs.) totty who want to make an authentic *cough* old blues man happy.  :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Old man blues ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    Cos I'm an old man... and after all of life's bullshit  this music speaks to me.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    CHRISB50 said:
    Hasn't done Dave Gilmour any harm...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited June 2015

cruxiform said:
    Wisdom.

To the doubters.....I say this.
    There is a reason why your Mahavishnu Orchestra Tribute Act never gets a repeat booking.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    cruxiform said:
    CHRISB50 said:

This is true, and I never said it hasn't. It's an observation not a criticism.

I'm a massive Peter Green fan. He utilised pentatonics a fair bit, mostly in a single key (D), but he's still amazing ;)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I generally don't resonate much with straight-up blues, but I do like some bands that could be described as 'blues influenced'.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    CHRISB50;686924" said:
    cruxiform said:

CHRISB50 said:

For most guitar players it's just an excuse to only learn the minor pentatonic scale. Hasn't done Dave Gilmour any harm...

This is true, and I never said it hasn't. It's an observation not a criticism.

I'm a massive Peter Green fan. He utilised pentatonics a fair bit, mostly in a single key (D), but he's still amazing ;)

That he is :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Woss point of ol' man blooze?

keeps me happy ... what other justification is needed?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom