Smooth Hound Innovations - Classic Wireless Guitar System

What's Hot
Hello The Fretboard,
My name is Chris Fryer and I'd like to introduce Smooth Hound Innovations. We're a new company based in Cottenham, just north of Cambridge.

I've spent the last two years developing and bringing to production a new wireless system with the aim of offering properly high performance wireless audio in a small cost effective package. The result is the Classic wireless guitar system.

Hate wireless? Try this!

To be clear, even if you don't hate wireless, you should still try this!

Visit www.smoothhound-innovations.com for more details or ask any questions you like here!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited June 2015

Hello Chris Fryer of Cottenham just North of Cambridge! Looks cool :)

Great introductory offer - very reasonable price - where can we try em?

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Hi Chris.

They look small, simple to use and relatively cheap so ticking a lot of boxes for me.
    Arguably a wireless system is a bit superfluous playing pubs but I like the idea of not getting tangled up.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frankus said:

Hello Chris Fryer of Cottenham just North of Cambridge! Looks cool :)

Great introductory offer - very reasonable price - where can we try em?

Hi Frank,
    Richard's Guitars in Stratford Upon Avon can demo the system. Other than that, if you're in the Cambridge area, give me a shout! Introductory offer runs out today unfortunately!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arguably a wireless system is a bit superfluous playing pubs but I like the idea of not getting tangled up.
    Hi Eric,
    I know a number of customers who have bought the system to use at home which is arguably even more superfluous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Argh, centre-positive power supply! Looks quite useful and very cheap for a bit of kit apparently made in England though, may treat myself and stick a polarity inverter on the 'board - any interest in product promotion / road-testing from an endorsed musician? ;)  
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Looks like a very nice bit of kit that.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Looks very interesting. I could be very tempted, but, centre positive makes it more awkward for pedalboard integration.  Is there a reason that it has to be centre pos.?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited June 2015
    Looks nice but the wrong type of power supply and the 'guitar bug' style transmitter are odd decisions. one or other of those - let alone both - would make it a non starter for me.

• Richardj said:
    Is there a reason that it has to be centre pos.?
    Hi Richard,
    The main reason that it is centre positive is due to the metal case and the non-isolated DC barrel socket used.

A 2.1mm x 5mm polarity reverser is available for a few pounds from ebay, either an integral barrel type or as a short extension.
    Either way it won't take up much space on your board because the receiver is pretty small.
  • Looks nice but the wrong type of power supply and the 'guitar bug' style transmitter are odd decisions. one or other of those - let alone both - would make it a non starter for me.
    Hi Moe,
    Another small adapter (Neutrik NYS236 female-female 1/4 inch jack socket available from various suppliers) can be used to transform your guitar bug into a small strap or belt mountable body pack ... I think that's all the adapters you'll need :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    SmoothHoundUK;687007" said:
    Richardj said:

Is there a reason that it has to be centre pos.?

Hi Richard,

The main reason that it is centre positive is due to the metal case and the non-isolated DC barrel socket used.

A 2.1mm x 5mm polarity reverser is available for a few pounds from ebay, either an integral barrel type or as a short extension.

Either way it won't take up much space on your board because the receiver is pretty small.
    Just a thought : as, presumably, you could source them for say a quid each one in the box might save a lot of annoyed guitarists? I hadn't noticed it before and it would hardly be a deal breaker but spending £150 on something that I can't use until I've sourced a cheap adaptor off eBay wouldn't thrill me either.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Just a thought : as, presumably, you could source them for say a quid each one in the box might save a lot of annoyed guitarists? I hadn't noticed it before and it would hardly be a deal breaker but spending £150 on something that I can't use until I've sourced a cheap adaptor off eBay wouldn't thrill me either.
    I agree and I've been looking for an appropriate source this afternoon.
  • Looks good! :)
  • It took a little longer than I expected but we're now shipping all Classic wireless systems with a short polarity inverter cable for the DC supply. You can either plug the supplied DC adapter straight in or connect to a centre negative pedal board supply using the polarity inverter. We've sent one to all existing customer too.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Smooth Hound are at the Manchester Guitar Show this Sunday. Come along if you'd like to try out the Classic wireless system and take advantage of our special show price of £129.

• FezFez Frets: 522
    Do you know if anyone is using these for bass?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Fez said:
    They seem pretty popular on basschat so I guess they work fine with a bass.     

I really like the look of them - if a belt pack version comes out I'd be very tempted as I'm toying with getting a wireless with a more compact receiver and the price/quality looks very good. 

• SmoothHoundUKSmoothHoundUK Frets: 21
    edited October 2015
    Fez said:
    Curiously we have more bass customers than guitar at the moment. It started when we met some bassists at Musik Messe who loved the product and it went on from there.

John_P said:
    I really like the look of them - if a belt pack version comes out I'd be very tempted as I'm toying with getting a wireless with a more compact receiver and the price/quality looks very good. 
    You can use the transmitter like a belt pack using an adapter if you want. Here's some pictures from a customer review on basschat. You need to be logged in to see the review but I think the pictures are public: Belt Pack Pic 1 Belt Pack Pic 2 Belt Pack Pic 3
  • We're at the Cheshire Guitar Show in Crewe tomorrow. Come and say hello if you're in the area and try out the Classic wireless for yourself.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So, at the risk of sounding inflamatory, why should I consider your product over a second hand Line 6 Relay G50, for example?  :) Give me the sales pitch!