Fender Princeton 65 (FSR) - Any Good, Really ?

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
Got a chance for a FSR Princeton 65...

Are they really any good ? Next to my Carr Rambler and Skylark, most Fenders sound like toys... But the Princeton has 'that' sound ?

Thoughts ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Which Fenders sound like "toys" to you?

It's hard to advise you if you think a Twin Reverb sounds like a toy, but if you're talking about say, a Blues Junior then we have a radically different reference point.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Yeah, don't really think of any 30W+ fender amps sounding like toys.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Warren,

My vintage one sounds as good if not better as the LJ's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    If I had a Rambler and a Skylark I probably wouldn't be looking for any other amps unless I needed a more powerful one.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited June 2015
    p90fool;686599" said:
    Which Fenders sound like "toys" to you?

It's hard to advise you if you think a Twin Reverb sounds like a toy, but if you're talking about say, a Blues Junior then we have a radically different reference point.
    Yeah, this. Bearing in mind your Carr amps are modded fender circuits, it's hard to say what you like and don't like without knowing what fender circuits they are and what fender circuits you're comparing them too.

Princetons are quite a different amp to things like a deluxe reverb, though, not just in power but the sound.

If you're comparing tweed fenders to Carr blackface copies, you're comparing apples to blackface style amps.

I love the new 68 custom Princeton, it really does sound fantastic for home practice. As a do it all amp, I'd look for more power.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    Remember how the Sportsman sounded if you scooped its mids a little? That's how my silverface Princeton (albeit with a 12-inch spkr) sounds. Can't vouch for the modern ones though

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Played this one - 

One of the best amp sounds I have ever heard
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    I have a Carr sportsman and if that's based on a Princeton then I bet they sound friggin awesome
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    I must say, I find the lack of mids appealing...

Some of the FSR look noice

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Buy a Sportsman W and then you'll have the Holy Trinity ;)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

The Sportsman irons out some of the idiosyncrasies that make a Princeton what it is, for better or worse.  You could argue that it improves the shortcomings, or you could argue that the extra headroom, lack of trem, mid control make it become something else.

I think Carr have basically added many of the mods to a Princeton people have been doing for years.   All I can say is if THAT sound you want is the sound of a Blackface Princeton Reverb, the Fender would do a pretty good job.

Incidentally, I had a good go of @juansolo 's MJW Princeton Reverb the other day and it was glorious. Next to the PRRI, it sounded very close except for an amazing low end missing from the PRRI.  It was through a nice 2x10 cab so that could account for much of the sonic differences and we didn't try the Fender through that cab to compare, but still, it had a tone to behold.

Oh and it has trem, Princetons must have trem!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    I could be persuaded to sell my 1968 Princeton which sounds jaw dropping and is miles better than the RI's.

A minty vintage Twin Reverb is on my radar....hence the Princeton offload.

£1200, no offers. COmes with a Weber fitted but have the original in great condition too.

It is immaculate.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392

Just a thought, but you may prefer my Morgan SW22R that's for sale in the Classifieds rather than the Twin of dreams.

Amazing amp.......just really wanting a Lazy J20 and can't keep both!!!

Happy amp hunting.

Jon

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Gassage said:
    I could be persuaded to sell my 1968 Princeton which sounds jaw dropping and is miles better than the RI's.

A minty vintage Twin Reverb is on my radar....hence the Princeton offload.

£1200, no offers. COmes with a Weber fitted but have the original in great condition too.

It is immaculate.

Any pics?
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I had one of the reissues and it had a lot of cabinet buzz :-(
    edited July 2015
    I had a brief play at PMT Birmingham today. Now, granted it was a short intro to the Princeton, of about half an hour.

I played the '65 and the '68, with a standard USA strat which wouldn't stay in tune (why do they give you those guitars ??!!??)

Hmmm...

I was fairly close to the amp and it was at waist height. I liked the scooped (lack of ?) mids, and the ease of 'that' chime. Reverb was good, but bit splashy after 4 on the dial. By the way, I LOVED those front facing Fender knobs. Much better than the hidden away Carr style.

Sounds ? Nice, low level and sweet (not Sportsman sweet or warm though). The '65 model seemed to be very trebly; in fact, sometimes I had to dial the treble to '1'. A bit harsh, overall, if Im being honest. It didn't sound as warm as your vids Gary, and I instantly felt that the speaker change (or broken in) would really benefit it...

The '68 broke up earlier, but sounded less Fender-like. Great at bedroom maybe, but I wouldn't like to gig one. Too little headroom.

Overall, I'm a wee bit disappointed. They were both literally straight out if the box, as their stock was being laid out as I arrived, so maybe they needed to be broken in.

I did get to know the '65 a bit more, and coaxed some pleasant sounds out if it. But, I thought a pedal in front of the Rambler would literally destroy the Princeton....

Got back home, plugged straight into the rambler, and realised how mighty that amp is...

I really wanted to buy one as well. All is not lost. Ill hold fire till I can play one again...

The two sounds (additional to the Rambler) that I have in my head are;

1.) That warm 6V6 (Sportsman, Morgan Abbey ?) sound

2.) The Blackface just beginnjng to break up (ala Slant and Redplate)

The journey continues, and for once, Ive held back and let wisdom settle...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I don't think the PRRI is one of those amps where putting the dials in the middle, ie on 5, should be considered the norm. I tend to use treble in the 1-3 range especially if putting a pedal in front.
    Chalky said:
    I don't think the PRRI is one of those amps where putting the dials in the middle, ie on 5, should be considered the norm. I tend to use treble in the 1-3 range especially if putting a pedal in front.

I agree @chalky, and I actually had the best sounds with treble low (1-3) and the bass full up (10). I REALLY wanted to own one too, but I guess the more expensive Carrs, Redplates, Dr Z have spoilt me somewhat....

Amp GAS is very strong at the moment !

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    On the 68 you need the bass at zero and treble 6 or 7 IMO. One of the best amps I've ever owned and I'm always complemented on its tone which never happened once while I had a Two Rock.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Ha! I left out saying I normally have the bass at 7 or higher because I thought thats just my quirky taste! :)