HNAD - Randall RM50 Modular amp

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9933

I'd like to report a new amp day.

I was lucky enough to win a Randall RM50 modular tube amp combo in the recent Peavey/Randall et al auction in Brum for the wonderful amount of £85 after fees and VAT, which is quite good. I had a bit of trouble getting it into the boot of my Fiat in its box, but once that was cracked open all was good. That was on Saturday, and I've been able to play it until tonight...

So, some details. It's a 50 watt tube combo, 2x 6L6 power tubes, 1x12 speaker. It comes with two modules (Blackface and Plexi) which could be swapped out if you can get other ones (I understand there are loads of them to be had from Randall, Egnator and a few other indie makers and modders). It's big, I'm not used to big amps so it seems massive to me (bigger than Hot Rod Deluxe size I think) and it's very bloody heavy. pictures to follow in the next post)

So after a bit of confusion regarding voltages and plugs (it came with an EU plug because of where the auction stock had come from I think) I plugged it in tonight with my Tele and I was impressed. Very good sounds at very low tv type volumes (as is often the case with bigger amps) and good tweakability

Blackface - A lovely clean sound for strummy stuff and country style picking, even with the gain right up full there wasn't much dirt, however I would like very much to try boosting it a bit to see what noises comes out of it. Sounded sweet when I put the spring reverb model from the Zoom g3 on in the series loop, the treble middles and bass had a big sweep and made a big difference to the sound, some very different usable sound including middy honks and scooped mid type sounds.

Plexi - now I'm not a Marshall sound fan to be honest, but at first glance this seemed very usable, not quite as gainy as the ones I've tried in the past. Again the BMT controls were very effective in varying the sounds, as were the pickup changes on the guitar. What's good is that you can set the volume of each module independently so when you switch channels there's no huge jump in volume, Also benefitted from a bit of Zoom reverb, and I put a spot of tape style delay on too. Very cool and I couldn't resist trying a bit of Hendrixy stuff (the bits I can play). I imagine with a drive pedal in front of it, or a fuzz, it should be very nice and indeed a surprise for me to like my playing through a Marshall. I also got a Brian May Deacy treble booster amp thing recently which I think should ound epicfeeding into the Marshall side!!

Other stuff - It has a built in fan! Which seems to be a good idea. It also appears to be built like and indeed to be heavier than a brick shit house. It's not all that pretty but looks nicer in person than it does on pictures. I think if I can remove the Randall logo from the front that may help. It also seems to have some kind of tube and bias auto testing thing on the back, maybe one day I might understand how to use that...

I'm very pleased on first impressions - it really feels like a better quality amp than I am used to (Fender Pro Junior and a Mooer bassman style thing) and sounds great at the volume I need it to at home. I've bought it hoping it should cover my (predominantly) home based playing, but also have enough volume should I get to play in public. I think at 50 watts that should do the trick! But also the master volume is great so I should be able to get both nice louder cleans and quieter drives, both things I can't get with my Pro Junior.

So...I'm happy for now I think, it was a good purchase!

Pics to follow once I've sorted photobucket

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9933
    edited July 2015

The amp, front elevation:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a639/matthew_goodwin1/WP_20150713_0061_zpspalka6am.jpg

Close up on the two modules, Blackface left and Plexi right

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a639/matthew_goodwin1/WP_20150713_0071_zpsqpgms3x8.jpg

The traditional sepia instagram shot avec guitar:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a639/matthew_goodwin1/WP_20150713_0081_zpsgjytdr3v.jpg

Annnnd to poke fun at the size difference, the small Mooer head that this amp is technically replacing..,

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a639/matthew_goodwin1/WP_20150713_0091_zpsg9dsq7xy.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    £85 was a great bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11653
    tFB Trader
    The Plexi is only a hop skip and jump from the Bassman design anyway, so if you set it tastefully you can still feel like it's a Fender-ish type thing. 
    I think you got a bargain and a half!

Here is a link that I should not send you , but it's interesting reading - if a bit expensive if you "go there"

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited July 2015
    It certainly is a bargain, for less than the price of a Mustang I modelling amp hehe cannot go wrong.

I'll stick with the Plexi for a while I think but I wouldn't mind a Voxy one, or I think I saw jaded faith do a Vibroverb one, but I doubt I'll even get a module for anywhere near the £85 I've spent on a whole 50w valve combo with two mods...

It sounds great though regardless of the coinage, I've no idea if/when I'll get to crank it but I think that day will be a good day 
    So I tried it tonight with pedals, mainly because I wanted to see how they sounded into the Blackface side but also because of the recent jhs thread I wanted to see if the Twin Twelve pedal I have could be similar to any of the other drives (it was quite similar to the tube screamer as it happens but with a nice tighter low end and scratchier treble).

It sounded brilliant, gain up full on the twin twelve and using the volume to boost the amp a bit, it sounded terrific and very much like the Jack White machine I hoped it might! Had a great session playing along to my iPod, particularly through my tele bridge pickup, the amp handled it like a boss

While playing a bit of plinky plonky rhythm for Hank Williams Tennessee Border, I thought I could hear a slight reverb on the short notes. Turns out there is a big Accutronics reverb plugged into the parallel fx loop! I don't think that's normal for this amp, I now need to find out how I might be able to adjust it, it's very subtle as it is (I only really hear it when playing detached notes) so would be cool to me about with that

The amp that keeps on giving
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    Excellent :D

£85 is crazy cheap :))
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    It's a disgustingly good deal. Bring it to Robannas so I can hear it!
    tFB Trader
    So I tried it tonight with pedals, mainly because I wanted to see how they sounded into the Blackface side but also because of the recent jhs thread I wanted to see if the Twin Twelve pedal I have could be similar to any of the other drives (it was quite similar to the tube screamer as it happens but with a nice tighter low end and scratchier treble).

It sounded brilliant, gain up full on the twin twelve and using the volume to boost the amp a bit, it sounded terrific and very much like the Jack White machine I hoped it might! Had a great session playing along to my iPod, particularly through my tele bridge pickup, the amp handled it like a boss

While playing a bit of plinky plonky rhythm for Hank Williams Tennessee Border, I thought I could hear a slight reverb on the short notes. Turns out there is a big Accutronics reverb plugged into the parallel fx loop! I don't think that's normal for this amp, I now need to find out how I might be able to adjust it, it's very subtle as it is (I only really hear it when playing detached notes) so would be cool to me about with that

The amp that keeps on giving
    Yes - many of these amps came with a reverb tray plugged into the parallel loop - to get more  reverb turn the effects knob up and it will add to the reverb mix.

They do take pedals well - was running a ThorpyFX Gunshot through my clean set bassman channel on my Egnater  this week and HOLY SMOKE it sounded good. I have enough channels to not need pedals but the modiular amps will lap them up just like the amp they imitate - so both Blackface and Plexi will respond well

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    Also - don't neglect to use the presence and density controls.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2173
    Congratulations that is a stonking deal. Happy new amp day :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    Cirrus;705561" said:
    It's a disgustingly good deal. Bring it to Robannas so I can hear it!
    I really need to take you up on this invite very soon!! I intend to try the plexi model with the weird little Vox Deacy treble booster amp thing I got recently as well, so that could be another win still to come.
    FelineGuitars;705598" said:

Yes - many of these amps came with a reverb tray plugged into the parallel loop - to get more  reverb turn the effects knob up and it will add to the reverb mix.

They do take pedals well - was running a ThorpyFX Gunshot through my clean set bassman channel on my Egnater  this week and HOLY SMOKE it sounded good. I have enough channels to not need pedals but the modiular amps will lap them up just like the amp they imitate - so both Blackface and Plexi will respond well
    I think its fair to say you do have a few modules hehe I was surprised to find the reverb as there was quite a bit of discussion I'd read about it not having one when the head version did. I'd seen there were a couple of jacks plugged into the parallel loop but as that back is partly covered it wasn't easy to see where they lead to. I just stick my phone camera in last night with flash on and that showed the reverb inside. Wonderful.

Not really messed with the density or presence yet, my guitar is quite bright so turning the presence up just emphasised that a bit, but I do need to see what they do and have a tweak I think
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Ah yeah, forgot about the little deacy amp! I wonder what it'd sound like into the normal channel of my ac30. Probably quite loud and queen-like.