DC Junior Build

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
edited July 2015 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Since becoming a Junior 'nut' a few years ago, I've literally not played anything else and managed to be lucky enough to have a few vintage Juniors and 2 top spec replica's in my collection, including a '55 Single Cut and a stripped '59 TV Double Cut Model. 

I have studied vintage Gibson juniors to cork sniffing detail and decided to set out to build my own. I didn't have the time/inclination to start from scratch so I managed to snag a DC Jnr husk from Grahame @ GSP Basses before he stopped supplying us 'mere mortals' and set about researching Gibson's finishing process for their cherry red juniors (also the colour used on the rear of vintage 'bursts) using the correct aniline dyes.

Here's how it arrived: 

I requested sharper edges which were found on the '58 models. Now, it's a superbly built guitar and a great lightweight piece too. It's not as vintage accurate as i'd like but essentially this is a prototype for the finishing process and a business idea I have brewing...more of that some other time...

So it was off on a trip to see Simon at @RothkoAndFrost - who is very knowledgable and a great chap to boot - for some Aniline Dyes & Nitro Lacquer which were promptly dissolved in alcohol thinners.

After many test mixes, taking advice from MLP Forums amongst others, I reverted to a straight Red dye added directly to the grain filler. The aniline dye staining the wood while the filler fills the grain at the same time. Once the lacquer is applied, the dyed filler also leaches into it thus giving an extra 'cherry' hue to it (and why some of the CS Les Paul's had the red dye leaching into the neck binding on mid/later 2000's guitars so Gibson changed the method again due to complaints).

Now, first deviation away from 'vintage correct' as I used a dark grain filler (like the Gibson Custom Shop do currently) and not a light filler as they would have done in the 50's - it was what I had to hand.

Anyway, I added the bridge studs which are vintage correct long studs by Mojoaxe in the US and the body and neck were sanded to 240 grit:

The dye and filler were mixed together - I don't have pics of this as I was working fast and it would have been far too messy - and applied with a 'burlap'/Hessian rag....as was done in '58 (told you it was cork sniffy...!)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited July 2015 tFB Trader

....and I can now see why they changed the method....it's bloody hard graft!! As soon as the filler starts to harden, some serious elbow grease is needed. Anyway, here's how it looked after the first application. 

And after the second (with sanding sealer applied):

I could have left it as this and just added the clear coats but, due to the excessive fade that aniline dyes are notorious for, and after seeing how much it faded on my test pieces (which I will add pics of later), if i'd have left it as this, it would have faded back to an almost natural colour.

So I added a wash coat of the dye mixed in with nitro lacquer then multiple, lightly tinted clear coats. It looks rather bright in the pics as it's in direct sunlight:

I then left it for 4 weeks to harden fully and get together the hardware. The one thing I do love about Jnr's is the simplicity and the minimal hardware needed! 

So, as usual, it's all top spec:

• Pickguard, Studs, Pointer Washer and Knobs all imported from MojoAxe in the US.
    • Aged Faber Compensated Bridge and Posts
    • Oil City Firewatch P90
    • Aged Kluson Tuners
    • Switchcraft Jack, CTS Pots and Grey Tiger Repro cap courtesy of Shugz Loomz.
    I'm going for a 'closet classic' type finish. A lot of relic or replica guitars look like they have been dragged behind cars and then polished with a belt sander and just scream fake to me. The various vintage guitars I have seen and handled apart from the very heavy gigged guitars, generally, only have minimal dings, lacquer cracking and more of a dull patina about them.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So, once hardened, the hardware was fitted and off it went to the 'top secret ageing booth'........the freezer.

And a few hours later, lovely checking!

So this is where we are at the moment. i'm currently giving it a couple of hours sunshine a day and it's already showing signs of fade. I need to darken the back of the guard as it's too light a colour for my liking. But so far things are looking good! 
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289

I have studied vintage Gibson juniors to cock sniffing detail and decided to set out to build my own. I didn't have the time/inclination to start from scratch so I managed to snag a DC Jnr husk from Grahame @ GSP Basses before he stopped supplying us 'mere mortals' and set about researching Gibson's finishing process for their cherry red juniors (also the colour used on the rear of vintage 'bursts) using the correct aniline dyes.

Very nice work, I love the DC juniors.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:

I have studied vintage Gibson juniors to cock sniffing detail and decided to set out to build my own. I didn't have the time/inclination to start from scratch so I managed to snag a DC Jnr husk from Grahame @ GSP Basses before he stopped supplying us 'mere mortals' and set about researching Gibson's finishing process for their cherry red juniors (also the colour used on the rear of vintage 'bursts) using the correct aniline dyes.

Yeah.....what's your point?? Never sniffed a cock before?? 
    :\">

Love Autocorrect.....thanks for pointing that out @Sassafras!
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Superb work as ever my man, loving this!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    miserneil said:
    Sassafras said:

Yeah.....what's your point?? Never sniffed a cock before?? 
    :\">

Not in music shops when I'm choosing a guitar. The staff tend to frown on that sort of behaviour.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2380
    Have a bunch of wows, outstanding work, kudos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Bit lush.

Twat. ;)

Top work fella!!!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That is awesome!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    Great work, love the subtle relic look you've achieved.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    Sassafras;705172" said:
    miserneil said:

Sassafras said:

Yeah.....what's your point?? Never sniffed a cock before??  :\">

Not in music shops when I'm choosing a guitar. The staff tend to frown on that sort of behaviour.
    Anything for a discount eh?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7134
    Loving your work.

I do love a DC Jr.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    mmmm tasty, tasty guitar goodness
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I keep coming back to this. Neil, did the pickup go on afore it went in't freezer?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    This does look superb, excellent work Sir.
    tFB Trader
    Many thanks for the kind words chaps!

I've been letting it get an hour of sun a day where possible....here's a pic of it sunbathing on my extension roof...I must admit I got a little pang of guilt after taking this...a little too 'Music Ground' for my liking! ;-)

(formerly miserneil)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339

It's good to see one of my guitars being build. Especially one that looking really good. I’m semi retired now so really don't have that much time in the workshop to take on custom work any more, I'm only supplying to trade customers now, making about 30 guitars a year.

However if I have a bad day and I end up with a “B” grade guitar I do still sell them off on here. The photo below is a “B” grade LP Junior not much wrong with it. I used a 9.5mm round over on the edges ( I believe the vintage ones had this anyway ) it should have been 5mm. It’s a bit over weight come’s in at 6 lb. A bit of TLC should make it in to a nice guitar. If any one wants it £310 inc P&P that’s about £130 off the trade price.   SOLD

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Oooohhhhh
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Looks bloody nice, that.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    @miserneil : Stunning job! A DC Junior is very high on my wishlist!

Did the neck move much during the ageing process?