Well, that's one way to lower the action.

What's Hot
Apologies for posting this (and I won't name any names, we all know who's responsible) but I can't stop looking at this:

13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    You have to be kidding me?
    Is MDP still doing this shit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The old 6-strings-on-a-12-string-guitar trick was one of his hallmarks, but I don't think I've seen even him do something so dumb to a saddle. Bye bye intonation. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I've reported him to the RSPCG
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I hope that's one of his older attempts - he had one up recently which looked like he'd started to learn how to do things right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    =))
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Imagine a world where the likes of Leo Fender hadn't existed or Paul R Smith and instead MPD had set the standards for modern guitar setups.

What a twat!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited August 2015
    stonevibe;725398" said:
    Imagine a world where the likes of Leo Fender hadn't existed or Paul R Smith and instead MPD had set the standards for modern guitar setups.

What a twat!
    He'd be the head of RnD at Gibson working directly under Henry himself.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    He's doing it wrong.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    edited August 2015
    ICBM said:
    I hope that's one of his older attempts - he had one up recently which looked like he'd started to learn how to do things right.
    I agree, but this is for sale now and I don't remember seeing it before.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Normally, I defend his unique skills because I've got a soft spot for eccentric characters but I think he's obviously been under a lot of pressure to produce something truly gruesome.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Sassafras said:
    Normally, I defend his unique skills because I've got a soft spot for eccentric characters but I think he's obviously been under a lot of pressure to produce something truly gruesome.
    He's not an eccentric though, is he.

The world is full of people who, like him, find a skill too much like hard work to master, so instead of admitting defeat or working harder, they decide that centuries of developed wisdom must somehow be wrong and cobble together their own laughably idiotic approach, and defend it by spouting as much bullshit as they can muster.

That's not eccentricity, that's a combination of arrogance and stupidity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • :-O How comes I knew who this thread would be about before I opened it?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    edited August 2015
    You can see what happened there, can't you?

Action is far too high, so lower the saddle height.

Saddle is too tight in the slot, it won't come out. Just cut some notches then. Works for nuts.

Strings foul the front of the bridge. Gouge out the bridge below each string.

Problem solved!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Who is this guy anyway?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Who is this guy anyway?

A proper dildo.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    He's put Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys on it. Which are gauge 10. Electric strings.

I think this is the nicest guitar I have converted from seven string to six; true the Floyd Rose trem presented me with a new departure in conversion, and I had to straighten the base plate then drill the additional seven string bridge so the internal string block screws can travel through to hold the new bridge onto the Floyd Rose base plate.
    Then of course I converted the new seven string bridge to six strings.

Inside the Floyd string block is attached to the earth-plate by just a single trem spring to earth out any static crackle to the strings that might occur; but for better sustain and tuning stability I have made the bridge solid with an Eric Clapton wood block behind the string block.

perhaps in a few days as it settles in I might come back up a gnat's cock for enhanced clarity on some notes.

:D

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Jesus.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    chrispy108;726263" said:
    I might come back up a gnat's cock .

:D
    Now there's a skill worth crowing about
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Sassafras said:

The world is full of people who, like him, find a skill too much like hard work to master, so instead of admitting defeat or working harder, they decide that centuries of developed wisdom must somehow be wrong and cobble together their own laughably idiotic approach, and defend it by spouting as much bullshit as they can muster.

This has been my take on it all along. I haven't decided if he is dishonest or a fool to himself in how he justifies his approach.
  • octatonic said:
    Sassafras said:

This has been my take on it all along. I haven't decided if he is dishonest or a fool to himself in how he justifies his approach.

Look, I'm not one to tell people how to run their businesses but I would make the suggestion that when you launch Richmond Phillips Guitars that you do the nuts and bridges and leave Mark to do the marketing and modelling because clearly he has some miraculous ability in that department.