Composition Challenge #9 - And the winner is............

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited August 2015 in Making Music

@Steamabacus

Congratulations, get in touch to claim your prize.

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Thanks to all who voted for my tune. I enjoyed doing this challenge.

If I wasn't crippled by my back at the moment I'd be jumping around with joy.
    :)

@Antique_Guitars I'll pm you my address.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Nice one Steamo - will be thinking about how to raise my game! :-)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    I enjoyed reading about the preparatory thinking for that track almost as much as I enjoyed listening to it!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    I enjoyed reading about the preparatory thinking for that track almost as much as I enjoyed listening to it!
    I enjoyed sharing the process where ideas just seem to 'fall into place' - I was about to say 'without any effort' but, thinking about it, there were a fair few hours trawling the nether regions of the internet involved. Trawling the internet hardly counts as effort, though, these days.
    :)
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Worthy winner. Well done.

I enjoyed this challenge because I didn't enter and therefore didn't sulk whenever I didn't win.

:P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Well done, Steamer!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Nice one Mr Steam .. deserved win.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    The postman just delivered the pedal - I had TOTALLY forgotton about this and was thinking " What the fuck is this? I know I ordered a CD but this isn't a CD?".

It was only when I opened the packaging and saw an EHX logo that the penny dropped!
    :))

Thanks again for the votes - I now have a new toy to play with.
    <:-P
    https://soundcloud.com/steam-abacus/screaming-birdies-11082015

From the SoundCloud notes .....

"This pedal arrived in the post yesterday and I got to try it out for the first time this afternoon. It's probably not a pedal I would ever have paid much attention to but I recieved this as a prize for winning the July Composition Challenge on The Fretboard forum.

After winning this - but before it arrived - I looked it up on the internet and the consensus of what little user feedback I found could be summed up as "Worst. Pedal. Ever!". Hmmmm. You don't want to listen to the internet, though. ;)

Described as a 'treble booster', the EHX Screaming Bird boosts level, cuts bass and boosts upper midrange frequencies. In many ways it's like a static wah pedal and clean boost combined in one small pedal. I was particularly amused that one section of the instruction sheet is headed 'Theory of Operation'.

On this track, both the skinny funk rhythm and lead guitar utilise the Screaming Bird (in addition to the rest of my pedalboard, of course).

It may officially be named the 'Screaming Bird' but, to me, it will henceforth be dubbed 'The Moustache' - there's a definite hint of Frank about this one. It may not go permanently onto my board but it'll definitely see occasional use on recordings. I like it. :)"