Just started writing music

What's Hot

Hi All,

I've just started to write my own music, and was after a few pointers!

What I am currently finding is a massive lack of confidence in anything I come up with. I'm finding the things I write seem too 'simple' eventhough I know some of the most popular songs are made up of simple chord progressions and being too complicated does not connect with people. At what point did you guys find you started to have confidence in what you write? Is it a case of smashing out loads of different things until you get one that you really like the sound of?

I seem to write a lot of riffs or progressions but then dont know where to go with them as well, So they get recorded at sit there unfinished. This might be due to my lack of theory knowledge, does knowing your theory help you personally in songwriting?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think theory opened my mind to possibilities other than I IV and V chords. Taught me how to do key changes, analyse rhythms etc.

Your experience tallies with something George Harrison said about songwriting in the Beatles: "John & Paul wrote all their crap songs before the Beatles got famous. I didn't start till later so I had some catching up to do" - or words to that effect.

If you write something you end up not liking a week (or even 5 minutes) later, don't let that stop you from writing something else. Maybe even try to think about what would turn it into something likeable/interesting/quirky. Maybe you can't polish a turd, but you might learn something from trying to work out what makes that song a PoS - and avoiding that construct in future.

Enjoy :)

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Write and have fun doing it. You can often tell what the good ideas are because they tend to snowball; they almost tell you what else they need in terms of other riffs, structures, chord sequences and melodies. You play one note and you hear the next one.

Sometimes it doesn't work like that, and you'll have an idea that haunts you because it's good and you have no idea where to take it. Just put it aside. One day you'll work it out.

Don't try to judge how good a song is when you're writing it either. If you're always being critical you'll stifle your creativity worrying what other people will think. Write for yourself and the only question you need to answer is "Am I being true to myself, my tastes and my influences? Have I succeeded in doing what I hoped to do with this song?" THAT is what makes a song good or bad, and if you worry about it too much in the middle of the process you'll never get to the good stuff.

As far as writing simple songs goes... if it's good and it resonates/ connects with you, it doesn't matter how simple it is - it's simply good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Simplicity is great but it's hard to come up with something simple that hasn't been done. So if you hit on something simple that you can't say, hey that sounds like some other song then I'd say that's pretty successful writing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Just keep at it. Develop everything. Record as often as possible, To make up a stat, 99% of what everyone writes is dross, what matters is the 1% that isn't, but to get that 1% you just have try, try, try and not be afraid to write utter tripe in the interim.
  • Honestly I think the best thing to do is just write whenever you get an idea.  I don't even record my ideas in high quality, I just record them on to my phone.  At some point a load of disjointed ideas suddenly make sense as in 'oh that could be a chorus for that idea', but sometimes a whole idea comes out in one go.  It is just totally random and depends on what inspiration I'm having that day.

Don't write music looking to impress anyone.  Write music that you enjoy.
  • I don't see the point in writing anything. Which is a shame as I'd like to do some writing!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Don't write. Play.

Then turn your play into songs.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    In answer to your question about learning theory, I would say that yes it does help up to a point. As long as you don't start relying on theory rather than your ears - you can stifle your creativity and end up with musically simple/basic songs instead (unfortunately I know this from sad and bitter experience)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Pat Pattison says something like, you have to write all the shit stuff first as it is a good fertilizer for the great stuff that follows. 

I find the best ideas come from just playing and not actively trying to write something new. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Thanks for all the responses, it has been really helpful!!

Starting to get there, I just need to work out my DAW!!
    Reaper is hard to beat for cost vs ease vs features.

But I also love Logic on the mac..
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I'm in the same boat.  I've got a load of ideas on my ipad in Garageband (used before I got my DAW/Interface sorted) but they tend to be a riff, or a few chords that never develop into anything else.

The next thing I'm going to try is to try and force myself to complete something.  I.E. take an idea and get the guitars, drums, bass etc written for a whole song, regardless of how it sounds.  I'm hoping this will do 2 things.  Firstly, it will make me focus and finish something rather than thinking the everything I write is rubbish and therefore I don't even try (basically lack of focus and laziness on my part).  Secondly, I need to practice recording and mixing so it will help here too.

BTW, I recently upgraded my interface and got a copy of Presonus Studio One 3 Artist thrown in. For me, it was more intuitive than Reaper (I'd been using the free Studio One 3 Prime for a couple of weeks).  Reaper can't be beaten for value though.
  • Pat Pattison says something like, you have to write all the shit stuff first as it is a good fertilizer for the great stuff that follows. 

This is completely my view.

Day 1 - Write a song and it's shit.

Day 2 - Write a song and it'll be less shit... and so on for day 3, 4, 5 etc.

For some reason people seem reluctant to view writing in the same way as any other aspect of musicianmanship where you accept it's a learning curve. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    edited October 2015
    @weststarx and everyone else who's commented on this thread ...

We run a number of monthly "competitions" (they're not really competitive) for members to write & submit pieces of music.  

There are two real objectives.

The first is to create a reason, stimulus, incentive (whatever) to actually finish something to the point of being able to publish it.  There are different categories of "competition" though, for things that are finished through to thing that really aren't finished at all.

The second it to invite constructive and friendly comments/feedback on what you've submitted.  It really is a friendly environment, so there's a lot of help and advice provided and very - VERY - little adverse comment.

And the third is to share tips & tricks on how-to record stuff.

There's a link here to the introductory thread, from where you'll find links to the individual challenges (and all of the previous submissions too).  Take a look, submit something!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    meltedbuzzbox;737801" said:
    Pat Pattison says something like, you have to write all the shit stuff first as it is a good fertilizer for the great stuff that follows. 

I find the best ideas come from just playing and not actively trying to write something new. 
    Was it also Picasso who said inspiration does strike but it needs to find you working.
  • meltedbuzzbox;737801" said:

Was it also Picasso who said inspiration does strike but it needs to find you working.
    He did.  He also said "Yeah I'll give it a go but I don't really do 'faces'!"
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    @Weststarx I'd definitely recommend the comps.  I've been entering the Solo of the Month comp for the last few months and found it really useful.  I've promised myself I'll submit every month and it's the perfect first step to writing and recording stuff.  Riff of the month is the next goal for me.

Thanks @TTony and the rest of the crew for putting those comps together.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    I find the same thing.

I've created loads of totally great stuff when I've not been trying.  And not had anything nearby to record them on.  Or any other means of remembering what they were the next morning ...

:(

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Mark_25Mark_25 Frets: 20
    It sounds like you're focused too much about what people will think. I'd just try and focus on how it makes you feel and forget about anything else. I think the majority of us would agree that we write songs that first and foremost we enjoy to play and to listen to. I think if you get into that mindset confidence will come with it. Thinking about it I very rarely consider whether anyone else will enjoy what I write, until I show the idea to the rest of the band of course - I get a bit nervous about that as I'll only show them ideas I'm passionate about.

I don't have any theoretical knowledge so go purely on how it makes me feel; if I get that excited / oh this sounds & feels good feeling then I'll carry on. If I don't I'll ditch the idea or leave it saved as a voice memo to go back to. So far not knowing the theory doesn't seem to have hampered me too much as I tend to produce a decent range of ideas / styles, though putting in some time to learn the theory is definitely on the cards.
  • TTony;836256" said:
    meltedbuzzbox said:

I find the same thing.

I've created loads of totally great stuff when I've not been trying.  And not had anything nearby to record them on.  Or any other means of remembering what they were the next morning ...

:(
    Not even a phone?

Just use a voice memo app.