Note to self:

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1808
... While pulling your pedal board apart to try to diagnose what's causing the lack signal to the amp, make sure that it is not the kill switch on the guitar first.

Ahem

Rather embarrassing when I realised

Any other useful notes to self?
10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27257
    Nice :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 551
    The other day I was cursing the newish Polytune II on my board as it was not tracking. After much faffing with the power lead and frantic pushing off the side button, I even looked for its box as I always place the receipts inside. Thinking its a pain to return and await a replacement when I discovered my guitar wasn't plugged in!! Even my missus was laughing at my ineptitude
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited August 2015
    Yup.  Make sure when you plug your tuner in, that you put the input in the input socket and output in the output.  It doesn't work if you plug it in the other way around.  No amount of checking the amp or guitar, volumes and cables make a difference.

*cough*
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always check your wah's not clicked on but looks like it's off..
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I was playing a gig at the Bull and Gate one time and had a total hissy fit when no sound was coming out, disconnected pedal board, switched amp on and off. I did all sorts in between my total tantrums.

I then looked and seen that I hadn't plugged the jack into my guitar, it was just hanging off my strap.

Gig went fine after that. 
    =D>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Pfff...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Always check your wah's not clicked on but looks like it's off..
    @Gassage can vouch for that.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Stay away from eBay after beer... that's my top tip.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mate of mine once took a Boss pedal back to the shop because it stopped working. They kept it for a week, tested it, all fine. He took it home, still didn't work. Took it back, insisted they send it to Boss. They did, few weeks later it comes back saying "works fine".

He took it home, *still* didn't work.

It was only then that he remembered the input is on the right and the output on the left. Silly git had plugged it in the wrong way round, three times!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 551
    impmann;760396" said:
    Stay away from eBay after beer... that's my top tip.
    About 7 years ago I was well into mountain biking and loved a bottle of Vodka on a Friday night to kickstart the weekend! Had no reconnection of being on the 'Wiggle' website till £700 of lights, goretex coat & other goodies arrived on the Tuesday!
    Don't do either riding or vodka now but have had a few beer purchases on eBay

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    I singer I work with called me to her house two weeks ago because she couldn't get the line out from her Fishman amp to work into a powered monitor she'd just bought.

I drove the eight miles over there and quickly established that the volume on her guitar was turned down.
    She's no dippy technophobe either, she gigs six nights a week on her own with a variety of supplied or rented gear.
    We all do it from time to time :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 394
    Note to self of today has been don't put a disposable nappy in with the washing - it was an accident btw not a cost cutting exercise. And guitar related... don't drink a lot of red wine and then lean over your prized candy tangerine tele to reach something - with a full glass of red wine in your hand.
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I've plugged in both my Phase90's to do a comparrison. Fresh batteries, into the amp, and the guitar, got a good sound from the amp switched the P90 on, no sounds, nothing, completely dead. Switch the P90 off, plenty of sounds. Couldn't work out what was wrong. Until I realised I'd plugged into the out of the P90's.
     I have stripped a pedal board, tweaked every setting on my amp trying to get rid of a midrange honky sound. Then I ried switching my wah off........
    TWAT.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2372
    Yeah the other night I wasn't getting any signal from my amp and I started troubleshooting the pedalboard. Luckily after a few seconds I noticed I hadn't any cable going to the amp input. I'd been trying a new cable I got straight into the amp and forgot to reconnect my pedalboard to the amp input.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Always check your wah's not clicked on but looks like it's off..
    I think I've lost count of the amount of times I've been caught out by this one over the years.  The difference in tone should make the culprit totally obvious, but for some reason it's the last thing I check.

This is also why I refuse to buy a wah without an LED now. :))

The time I wondered why my JCM800 head wasn't working at a soundcheck was a good one.  Took me far too long to realise I'd plugged the speaker into the effects send when in a hurry to set up.  Miraculously, the amp was totally fine and sounded great for the rest of the gig once things were plugged into the right holes.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Note to self. Don't reply to Classified WTBs.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6221
    tFB Trader
    Chalky said:
    Note to self. Don't reply to Classified WTBs.

true fact!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Touché :)
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I'm quite glad that I favour acoustics.

I strum an acoustic and it just works. :-)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    ...or a power cut...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>