Trading in guitars?

What's Hot
Just wondering if that's a good alternative?

Been looking for a few different guitars but have also a couple that would be interested as trading in as part of the payment.
Have the feeling it won't be as effective as selling but times are tough now and not many people buying. 

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It makes it easier, but yes you'll get less than a private sale. 

Depends what cost you put on the time/hassle/risk of a private sale. I could be worth it just to easily get rid of whatever it is you're trading and get the new shiny one sooner.

Doug at Coda has a good reputation on here for decent trade in prices.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Is this to a store or on here?

I am one of the worst offenders for asking about trades. It's easier in some respects and good if you have guitars and a limited amount of cash.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    If it's to a shop, it's a bit like trading cars, it's quicker and mostly easier to do a part ex, but that comes at a price. Coda have always been fair, also Sound Effects were pretty good on a deal I did with them recently. However, just like the car analogy, always a kick in the nuts to see how much the item is marketed for after.

If it's a private sale / swap, you tend to trade at the second hand value, which means you lose out less, but of course are limited to what's available :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've had fairly good results on commission sales with shops. You certainly lose a lot less than part exchanges.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    World guitars gives a fair trade in price.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    RaymondLin;763897" said:
    This. And Doug. Both offer very good trade values.
  • Wunjo also good, depending on what you're offering them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4you aka Mark is very reasonable. Highly recommended. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Surly this is not the es330!? I would have thought people would be biting your hand off for it! (I would if I could muster a sensible offer)
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited September 2015
    Thanks guys for the many suggestions. It's indeed the 330. The thing is I'm not really sure what I'm looking for and lifestyle not allowing me these days to go to a big shop and try different things. I've been actually considering a musicman Luke as it's something quite different from what I have atm but cost wise they are quite different.
  • RMJ said:
    RaymondLin;763897" said:
    This. And Doug. Both offer very good trade values.
    Absolutely, the man does good deals
  • I have been trying to move on my PRS SE245 but with no joy, the second hand market is rubbish at the moment. I suppose my only problem is that because I want something that is sold only at Andertons and nowhere else, that limits my options on trade in. 

Although saying that, their value quoted to me without them seeing the guitar yet is not that bad - still £75 - £100 less than I should get second hand probably, but not terribly bad...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I'd have thought you'd get a straight swap for a Musicman Luke, the ES330 is fare more likely to sell in a shop than the Luke, which is a very niche guitar
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    TPReggie said:
    I have been trying to move on my PRS SE245 but with no joy, the second hand market is rubbish at the moment. I suppose my only problem is that because I want something that is sold only at Andertons and nowhere else, that limits my options on trade in. 

Although saying that, their value quoted to me without them seeing the guitar yet is not that bad - still £75 - £100 less than I should get second hand probably, but not terribly bad...
    TBH that difference is nothing for the convenience.

Straight down the shop and come out with your new guitar.

No messing around trying to sell your old guitar - job's a good 'un.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236

Most of my guitar and amp purchases have been trades on second hand gear at Coda. Chris and Doug have given me good trades over the years.

They seem to price their trade in and second hand prices on popularity and condition. So if you've got a mint Fender or Gibson for example they will give you a very good price that will be close to what you will get second hand.

I sold my SG here at a very similar price to what Doug offered me as a trade in. I wanted cash and less guitars so I sold it.

• Neil said:
    TPReggie said:
    I have been trying to move on my PRS SE245 but with no joy, the second hand market is rubbish at the moment. I suppose my only problem is that because I want something that is sold only at Andertons and nowhere else, that limits my options on trade in. 

TBH that difference is nothing for the convenience.

Straight down the shop and come out with your new guitar.

No messing around trying to sell your old guitar - job's a good 'un.
    Yes I agree, I just have to organise the time to do a 1.5 hour each way trip down the motorway to do the trade in :)
  • Another alternative are the 'flippers'. Guys like Rollys guitars, and Squealing Pig Guitars. If its something they're interested in you'll get a price inbetween a dealer trade-in and a private sale.

Both are decent guys and are honest and upfront about what they do.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited September 2015
    I respect dealers like Coda who have fair trade in prices and put a very realistic price on the traded in guitar. Do you remember the 2014 R6 that a fretboarder traded in there? A huge saving on a mint condition guitar.
    I respect them because this is how all dealers used to be. A working guitarist might not have the money to buy a high end guitar and then put his old "main guitar" on ebay for 3 months!
    That is/was why guitar dealers did part ex.

Edit: No wait.......was it an R4.....not an R6? Details are important.   :-S

Also.....Is p/ex one the great lost abbreviations of the English Language?

• TPReggie said:
    Yes I agree, I just have to organise the time to do a 1.5 hour each way trip down the motorway to do the trade in :)
    That's for me :)