Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Oh shit

What's Hot
No more guitar for me for a while.

Managed to slice off half my first-finger, left hand fingernail last night while cooking. Supremely painful and I can't make myself feel better by picking up a guitar :(

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Ouch! Buy a synth, and get that happiness back :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Time to break out the Django books. 

Hope it heals quickly.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Nightmare! Time to practice your slide playing
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nightmare indeed! Hope you recover soon!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Sympathies. No guitarist should have to risk his fingers by chopping food. Similar (but not quite so drastic) has happened to me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Fuck!

I know nails serve a practical purpose, but I wish we didn't have to have them.
  • I cut the top of my thumb clean off a few years back - but was back playing a month later. Luckily, it was my fretting hand, not my picking hand.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery

Marlin
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    ouch, i bet that freaking hurt. My wife is so clumsy in the kitchen, the way i helped her to stop cutting her fingers was this: All of the knives in the house a razor sharp, no effort needed to slice through food. This way she doesn't have to put any pressure on (and slip) whilst chopping and therefore reduce the chance of lost digits.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    buggeritt!! that is never good .. getwellsoonmummieslittlesoldier
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    :-O
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    youch! Hope you get over that soon. I sliced the top off of a fretting finger years ago at work, the blood squirted 12 inches! I rang the official occ health nurse and she said "I'm just off on a course ring a first aider" and promptly slammed the phone down! First aider took me to hospital but first found the bit I lopped off incase they wanted to sew it on again. What a trooper! (they didn't in the end).

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Time to learn some Sabbeff
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Ow, hope you recover quickly.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Thanks all. Finger well covered in plaster at the mo so no guitar for at least a week. Once it heals a bit and scabs over it might be ok. We'll see. 

Of course this all happened on my own. Trouble with being an adult is I had to clean & dress it myself, one handed..! 

Bleh!!
  • Wishful (and probably not very joined up) thinking:

If your job is "Musician" (whether by contract of employment, or in your HMRC self-employment description), then you would be entitled to have a servant whose job is to do things for you that could endanger your fingers - chopping food for example. They would be paid for by the state, and employed as casual labour from the dole queue.

Save musicians' fingers. Save NHS from having to fix up musicians' fingers. Keep musicians able to ply their trade hence earn & pay taxes. Reduce state handouts to claimants, but increase their earnings by giving them something to do for a proper hourly rate. Extra work for pen-pushers to administer it all.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Never bothered Da Lefty.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Oh Lord... I think I'm gonna barf :-S
    That sounds horrible... I hope you can get it sorted out... or you might have to go all Tony Iomni on us.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • His fretting hand technique looks dreadful ;)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10230
    His fretting hand technique looks dreadful ;)
    That's cos he's using the wrong one  :P
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited September 2015
    thorpy6;765624" said:
    ouch, i bet that freaking hurt. My wife is so clumsy in the kitchen, the way i helped her to stop cutting her fingers was this: All of the knives in the house a razor sharp, no effort needed to slice through food. This way she doesn't have to put any pressure on (and slip) whilst chopping and therefore reduce the chance of lost digits.
    Excellent advice, in general. And a sharp knife will make a much cleaner cut, which goes deeper and hurts more but usually heals faster and more cleanly. Of course, this sucks right now, but hopefully will make me happy in a couple of weeks.

I've been using "big" kitchen knives for a bloody long time and this is the first time I've had anything worse than a nick, which is good i guess. Just means I can't play guitar, cook, wash up, or shower easily for a while...!

Playstation seems ok though, so that's something! Will have to confirm I can still hold a wine glass this evening I think, just to be sure...