Greg Howe - 22 years since Introspection... and it stills kicks ass.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
edited September 2015 in Music
I can't believe it's been 22 years since Introspection was released, the same year my eldest daughter was born.  and it still sounds astonishing to my ears after all this time. It's easy to forget just how damn fine a player Greg Howe really is:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    As well as the fantastic playing, I love the guitar tone he's got on that album - it kind of has a breath-like quality to it, and theres something very articulate about it. Subtle. It's really nice anyhow. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • yeah it's not usual high gain shredding tone.   I think he used a Tubescreamer direct for some of the tracks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Oh yes. Wis awarded to OP. And dat Strat! *slobber*
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Introspection Comes in right behind his ST debut album as my favorite GH album.

Im still on the look out for a Maple HM strat,never seen one of them come up in the UK just RW ones :(
  • It's not the usual fusion w@nk - always liked his stuff. I think he did one called 'gone sailing' which I really liked
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited November 2017
    I love his playing, especially the more jazzy stuff.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • His is a name I've known for years but I've never bothered listening until I saw this. Thanks for posting. Bits I've heard sound really good. I'll give it a proper listen later. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I only got into him quite recently but I love him, he's amazing. This is a killer album.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I love his deft touch on this album. He makes it all sound so effortless. For all its technical wizardry it doesn't sound showy. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I love his amazing fluidity, he makes all those fast runs sound as though he's barely touching the strings.

And his sideways vibrato... awesome.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Listening once again and will do so tomorrow at work - I need to dig out his albums I've got again. Really good stuff. 
    I find modern "fusion" guitar to be dreadfully dull and "by numbers" but this has always been some of my fave "proper" fusion.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited September 2015
    So many great vids of his on YouTube:

Tension is the technique killer - once it's gone it feels like you're playing on air (brought to your by TommySixString blog post #3).
    When I watch / hear him play I always think his neck is spongy and organic.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited September 2015
    Peeking at his amp settings, he seems to favour max bass, ~4 on mids and 6 on treble. Interesting. 

Also interesting how he used to always play on the crunch channel and use his volume control to go clean. And now more using the amp channels (unless I got it wrong...). 
    New album Wheelhouse announced - it promises to be amazing and will be available at his shows from Tuesday.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Thanks for the heads up @viz, I wondered what he was up to since Maragold disbanded.
    edited September 2017
    Aaaaand he's touring with Protocol / Simon Phillips. Coming to Ronnie's on 20/21 November. 

@bucket :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Gah. :( Doesn't look to be coming here. I missed Phillips with Timmons last year and am still kicking myself. :cry:
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Loving the new cd WheelHouse after 20 or so plays id say it's fav since introspection,id sayThrow Down is my current fav on the album,plenty of howe'isums on that tune,also interesting that it was once a vocal tune.

A very interesting 2 part interview i found about the new album via TIS 

http://www.truthinshredding.com/2017/09/greg-howe-musically-speaking-interview.html

Well worth a watch if you dig howe and want to hear howe he goes about things (pun intended ;) )
    Gizmo said:
    Loving the new cd WheelHouse after 20 or so plays id say it's fav since introspection,id sayThrow Down is my current fav on the album,plenty of howe'isums on that tune,also interesting that it was once a vocal tune.

A very interesting 2 part interview i found about the new album via TIS 

http://www.truthinshredding.com/2017/09/greg-howe-musically-speaking-interview.html

Well worth a watch if you dig howe and want to hear howe he goes about things (pun intended ;) )
    I love the way he talks about art, in fact I love the way most artists talk about art. He's a great example of someone whom some people might think is just a technique-driven player but he's really not, he's always trying to speak with his guitar and connect with people emotionally. Great interview, thanks!
    edited November 2017
    Quick roll-call - is anyone going to Ronnie Scott's next Monday or Tuesday?