Gryphin Amps - Updates pictures etc

What's Hot

Comments

• BigMonka said:
    Can I ask how come none of the wires in that amp are twisted together? It always seems like valve amps have some tightly twisted wires which I thought was to do with noise rejection.
    They don't need twisted for noise rejection they need to run parallel for noise rejection. The twisting method is an easy way to keep them close/parallel and achieve noise rejection.
    Hmm, I'm not sure about that.

This is quite a good write-up: http://ax84.com/bbs/dm.php?thread=283738

R.

In fairness that page doesn't say anything different though -

• "The heater wires should be tightly and neatly twisted. This keeps the wires in close contact and parallel to each other."
    • "IMHO the actual twisting has nothing to do with the hum cancelling. It's just the most practical way to keep the two wires close together. "
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I have seen vintage Marshall amps with zip cord for heater wires, like Jukka mentioned, I have also built hot rodded JCM800 type amps with parallel heater wires and no hum. Taking care and understanding your layout is the most important thing.

tFB Trader
    It has been a while since I posted anything new in this thread, I have been really busy with the parts side of the business.

Here is the Dragon 30w head finished off, the covering is red with yellow metallic bubbles, so ends up looking orange.
    Orange is not my favorite colour but I think it came out looking pretty smart.

30w from 4 EL84 valves, cathode biased. With Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass and Cut control and optional Power Control by request.
    Spanky Clean tone with lots of sparkle with smooth overdrive tones as you push the volume control up, this amp had great feedback at the last guitar show!

imageimage
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some lovely amps.  The Blackbird and Talon amps are the ones I'd like try most of all!  
    tFB Trader
    I am planning to be at a few guitar shows later in the year, I had to cancel going to the Bingley Hall one unfortunately. If you are ever in Scotland we can arrange a meet.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Looks great. What does the Cut control do? Is it like a presence control? 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    tFB Trader
    yes and no, it does not operate the same way technically, but it does affect the high end so from a player point of view you may consider them to be the same. However on this amp the cut control setting is really critical,  The amp has a top boost type pre-amp, which is very bright and the cut control is needed as just takes away any harshness, You can really dull the tone down or let is chime away depending on how this control is set.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    yes and no, it does not operate the same way technically, but it does affect the high end so from a player point of view you may consider them to be the same. However on this amp the cut control setting is really critical,  The amp has a top boost type pre-amp, which is very bright and the cut control is needed as just takes away any harshness, You can really dull the tone down or let is chime away depending on how this control is set.

Sounds good, thanks for the info.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    tFB Trader
    This is the latest amp off the line, it has been delivered to a young guitarist currently playing in two bands, was sorry to see it go as I had so much fun playing it.

I have a couple of videos I am in the process of editing, hope to have them up tonight.

tFB Trader
    This is a Tweed Deluxe Inspire combo called a Firestorm that we built, can run 6V6's and 6l6's. this one was paired with a Celestion Cream Alnico speaker and really sounds great.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Firestorm. Great name that, I'm surprised someone hasn't already used it! ;)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/42309/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:

Firestorm. Great name that, I'm surprised someone hasn't already used it! ;)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/42309/

Ha ha, that's so funny.  I've got a prototype on the bench that I've been calling 'Firestorm',  Time for a change! 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

What can you do? :shrugs:

There's only so many words in the English language! :D

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    RiftAmps said:
      Ha ha, that's so funny.  I've got a prototype on the bench that I've been calling 'Firestorm',  Time for a change! 
    What is the prototype? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    What is the prototype? 
    It's a Hi-gain plexi head, 2xKT88 - it's for the Mrs to replace her DSL50
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:
    What is the prototype? 
    It's a Hi-gain plexi head, 2xKT88 - it's for the Mrs to replace her DSL50
    Oof lovely.  
    tFB Trader
    @martinw said:

What can you do? :shrugs:

There's only so many words in the English language! :D

oops,  did not know you had an amp already released under that name, will change it for the future!
    tFB Trader
    I haven't posted in this thread for a while, mostly because I have been so busy, here is a little 50w combo I have built for a local musician, 50w EL34 output, with valve driven effects loop that work very nicely, enough gain on tap for the blues classic rock controlled with the master volume and then you can drive the clappers out of the power section too for more harmonic richness, with my mid switching circuit and bite control that makes this amp really versatile. going to try and do a video tonight before he collects tomorrow.

I don't actually have an amp in the house anymore so I am thinking I will build one for myself as it is allot of fun to play

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    That's nice, is it a standard plexi circuit
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    That's nice, is it a standard plexi circuit
    Thanks, no it may look like it a bit, but it does not have the cathode follower circuit that gives the Plexi amps allot of the character, it is really my own design that can cover a decent range, nice clean slightly compressed sounds and the mid switching gives loads of flexibility