Dwarfcraft ARF *the saga continues. . .

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
edited October 2015 in FX
sending it back to Prymaxe

moved to FX so as to not get in the way of people selling stuff ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bugger me, did I call this right?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    There's no extraneous noise other than a sort of static electric crackle as the switch makes contact (rather than a big "pop"), not every time but often enough to be noticeable - my Rainbow Machine and Afterneath do something similar when first switched on but are silent every time afterwards.

I was hoping to be told that it suggested a faulty switch or something, but it appears that they all might have this "feature".
  • real shame. On the plus side, the seller should cover the return postage costs as you can legitimately claim that to be a fault. 
    we'll see ;)
    I've tried it again just to be sure and there isn't a setting I can find where it doesn't make some noise when switched so rather than disappoint someone else I've contacted Prymaxe through ebay to arrange a return,

Their policy is that the buyer pays the return shipping, which I have grumbled about. ;)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Pooop! What did it cost ta Paul?
    £163 shipped, fortunately I didn't get charged any duty on top or I'd be decidedly miffed.
    Noise issues aside. How was it? I'm guessing not that good to overlook the snap crackles and poop?
    I really like it, it even makes the Miku sound good :)

But the noise is way too annoying for me to be able to live with it, I'd rather that much money went on something that was, to use a modern phrase, fit for purpose.

The Miku is the opposite, I knew when I bought it that it was useless for what it's supposed to be for, so much so that I'm amazed they had the nerve to release it, especially for £100 - but ignoring that and seeing what else it can do, it has enough (for me) in it that I can use for weird noise-making, and I can live with that.

If it relied on a second switch that crackled every time it was pressed I'd have sent it back too.
    Paul_C said:

Their policy is that the buyer pays the return shipping, which I have grumbled about. ;)
    having said that, the instructions I've been given by ebay are:

so I have messaged them with those details and asked them to advise me ;)

I have some sympathy for Prymaxe if the fault is with the design of the pedal, but because there is no mention anywhere of the chance that this could happen (either in their ebay auction details or anywhere related to Dwarfcraft) I don't feel responsible in any way and don't see why I should be out of pocket for any reason.
    Tempted to offer you what you paid to try it but I'm waiting for an invoice from Canada and you're putting me off haha ta for the info
  • Paul_C said:
    There's no extraneous noise other than a sort of static electric crackle as the switch makes contact (rather than a big "pop"), not every time but often enough to be noticeable - my Rainbow Machine and Afterneath do something similar when first switched on but are silent every time afterwards.

Is it noisier than the Afterneath? If so, I give it a triple Wow. Half the settings on the Afterneath seemed unusable due to noise. 

Paul_C said:

Is it noisier than the Afterneath? If so, I give it a triple Wow. Half the settings on the Afterneath seemed unusable due to noise. 
    While I've not tried every setting possible, I've not noticed anything I would consider noisy about my Afterneath, but we all hear different things and my pedal set up is no doubt different to yours.

They seem to sell quite a lot of ARFs but I've not heard of any one else complaining so it might be that the switch on mine has a fault, or it's an issue with how it's interacting with my set up, however the reply to my enquiry suggested that they didn't seem that surprised that it made a bit of noise with certain settings. It is possible with some settings to minimise the sound, but if you don't play anything and just operate the switch there's always some noise every time it's pressed regardless of where the controls are set.
    It would appear that the very nice people at Prymaxe are mailing me a pre-paid label so I can ship the pedal back, whereupon I'll get a refund. :)

So bearing that in mind, I'll have £160 or so to buy something else. . .
  • Paul_C said:

So bearing that in mind, I'll have £160 or so to buy something else. . .
    That second Miku on the board will be yours then :D

there are one or two pedals that I'd really like two of, but the Miku isn't one of them ;)
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    You tried that Bad Comrade yet Paul?
    I've not tried one, no - though they do look like fun.

I'm contemplating popping down to PMT this morning to try a couple of small combos - Vox AC-4 and Blackstar HT-1 but my daughter currently has me listening to endless nursery rhymes on YouTube. . .

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Yep, they sure do get in the way
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015
    while waiting for the GP to start I've convinced myself that I'm happy with my amp set up as it is, so it's back to pedals :)

my current list of pedals I might like to own is:

EHX Super Pulsar
    Digitech Obscura
    EQD Arpanoid
    Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail
    Subdecay Vitruvian Mod
    Pigtronix Quantum Time Mod
    WMD Geiger Counter
    MWFX Judder
    Red Panda Particle/Raster
    FC Unpleasant Surprise
    Catalinbread Antichthon

some are either/or and I'm sure I could find another dozen given 30 mins on the net ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom